Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: JustcallmeMrT on September 06, 2015, 08:38:18 PM

Title: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on September 06, 2015, 08:38:18 PM
Hi all,

Is there a difference between the different brands of new combined reg/rec units?  Can someone give me a recommendation for a good one?

Thanks!
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: Bryanj on September 07, 2015, 11:44:36 AM
All seem much of a muchness but all need exceptionally good earths at all points and if you reverse the battery for even a split second they are toast
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on September 07, 2015, 09:14:55 PM
Fair enough.  Will definitely be checking to ensure its all wired up correctly before connecting the battery. 
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: gtmdriver on September 07, 2015, 09:29:48 PM
Electrex World seem to do good quality stuff.
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: s7paul on September 08, 2015, 09:34:56 PM
I've had an Electrex unit on mine for 10 years, with no problems.
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: Ashdowner on September 14, 2015, 08:24:25 AM
I've done all the checks on my charging system and the maximum charge rate seems to fluctuate. Sometimes if I up the revs the charge rate actually goes down, and sometimes it gets to max 13.5v. Are the combined units more stable and what's the highest charge rate that anyone has recorded from them?
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: Lobo on September 15, 2015, 12:35:38 PM
Hi Ashdowner,

If you're still on your 40yo Voltage Regulator I guess it won't be perfect; it's a very mechanical device with 'points' that open & close - all rather subject to wear & tear & consequently imprecise.

My guess is that if any of us delved deeply into the readings of our own VRs we might well be alarmed too.

If it's bothering you or resulting in duff charging / blowing lights etc then surely replace it with a (relatively) cheap modern electronic all-in-one Regulator / rectifier unit - which certainly will be more stable.

My thoughts only...

Simon
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: Ashdowner on September 27, 2015, 04:50:50 PM
I'am thinking about it. Might buy one for the bikes Christmas present
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: Johnwebley on September 27, 2015, 05:01:45 PM
I recently got a Recifier/regulator (RR24) I think from Wemoto,made by Electrex World,

 fitted in 15 mins,

 looks and works great,

 went for a 100mile ride that evening,nice bright lights,

 very happy,
I reccommend !!!
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on September 27, 2015, 05:04:49 PM
I grabbed the electrex world unit as well, but haven't fitted it yet, will report back once I've had a few runs.
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: kevski on March 31, 2019, 11:32:17 AM
Electrex world ones all the time, made in the UK, unlike the rubbish M&P sell form China, i know this as i bought 3 in succession that failed dismally, got my money back ,and Electrex world one put on and job done.
Title: Re: Regulator rectifier recommendation needed
Post by: mike the bike on March 31, 2019, 06:40:07 PM
That's worth knowing.