Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: royhall on September 10, 2015, 04:43:44 PM
-
I need to replace the seal on the 350 fuel cap. Have already taken the old one off which may have been a mistake. As well as the sprung portion there appears to be a loose washer underneath, I assume the loose washer goes inside the seal as well.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
Is there a trick for getting these rubber seals on as it is extremely fiddly.
Also, whats the best way to open up the new rivet ends?
Thanks.
-
best way with seals is to dunk them in boiling water for a bit to make them supply, add a smear of washing up liquid and they'll go on easy.
If you're trying to close up a new rivet, try using a centre punch to splay the edges.
-
I did mine quite easily.
You certainly don't have to dismantle anything.
Just tilt and rotate the sprung disc and feed the rubber found the perimeter.
-
What about the loose washer behind? Does that go into the seal groove or does it just sit behind the seal. Cheers.
-
Do you have any idea how to remove the cap if you don't have the key?
-
That loose washer sits behind the seal and pushes the seal onto the tank filling hole
-
Finally got the sod of a rubber on. What a struggle that was. Managed to develop a technique though, "Swear a lot, get red faced and throw a baby tantrum". Well it seemed to work for me. ;D
Good job I didn't need a key Bullit, or I would probably have opened it with a hammer. ??? ???
-
Do you have any idea how to remove the cap if you don't have the key?
You will need to drill off the ends of the rivets that hold both the cap and the lock, then push the rivets out. Should all lift off together. You can buy the new rivets and lock from DSS.
-
That thin "loose" washer goes into the groove in the seal or the seal will just fall out, original locks have no key just a thumb catch which was replaced by a keyed lock assembly, any key fits, at the Yanks insistance
-
O bugger. I did it the way Mike said with the washer behind the seal not in the groove. To make matters worse the cap is now rivetted on. The seal doesn't appear to be loose in any way though. It definitely isn't falling off? :(
-
I've had it that way for years with nae bother. It seems it works both ways.
-
Glad to hear that Mike as I was planning on leaving it as it is.