Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: jimv50 on September 15, 2015, 10:24:13 AM

Title: new helmet, choices?
Post by: jimv50 on September 15, 2015, 10:24:13 AM
Having a bit of a dither about next helmet to buy as my old custom painted Arai is in need of replacement.
 My first choice is a carbon Bell MX5 but I was never keen on black, but until I find something else...
 I don't want a helmet covered in graphics as my go fast days are well behind me, and a plain white one will make me look like a bloody copper. I'll be riding a plain CB650, black with gold winged badge on the tank. I'm not on a budget as such.
Any ideas will be gratefully received
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: royhall on September 15, 2015, 10:36:13 AM
Am looking myself at the minute. Need to replace my old AGV as its falling to bits inside. I used to stick with AGV as they provide padding slots for glasses which makes them comfortable for the myopic. But now I've been lasered I don't need that anymore so am free to choose. In first position at the moment is the Nolan Xlite, very well made and "as it says on the tin" extra light. Bit pricey though, but they do a plain range.
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: tom400f on September 15, 2015, 10:48:52 AM
Slight aside but you can check the safety rating of your helmet here: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/ratings
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: totty on September 15, 2015, 10:50:31 AM
This is a really hard thing to advise on as it's so dependent on head shape.

This is a useful site for safety ratings - just beaten to it by another post while I was typing.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

I see you're considering a Bell, I have a Bell M1 tracker which is really light, 5* safety rating, well made for the price and is aerodynamically good, but not the right shape for me - a pressure point on the forehead gives me headaches.

It's worth considering a helmet with a pinlock max vision visor, they're miles better than the old pinlocks that were always in your peripheral vision.
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: JamesH on September 15, 2015, 11:31:02 AM
I use one of these (Shoie Neotec) and can't fault it...

http://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/Neotec

Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: MCTID on September 15, 2015, 07:10:24 PM
I have had them all........but my last two were Shark....and they are great.....they have a thicker visor which doesn't mist up - so no stick on anti mist thingies.....they are comfortable, not too expensive and well made. They come in plain colours and some of those with graphics are nice and subtle.

I would recommend them if you don't want the latest fashion and don't want to break the bank.
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: royhall on September 15, 2015, 07:39:25 PM
Hi. Where did you get the Shark hats. I notice your from my neck of the woods, just wondering if you got them locally and what sort of deal did you got?
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: Green1 on September 15, 2015, 07:58:06 PM
I'v recently replaced my crappy well worn Shark with a Schuberth C3
http://www.schuberth.com/en/motorcycle/c3-basic.html
Its probably the best lid yet my only complaint is the chin strap seems a bit bulky but you soon get used to it.

Mick 
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: matthewmosse on September 15, 2015, 08:17:34 PM
I use Caberg trip, mainly because of the built in sun visor you can flip down at will, not so good for fogging I will admitt, but the built in sun visor is a boon for those of us who wear glasses and there seems to be plenty of room for my glasses plus it is comfortable. It also has a flip up front - though I rarely use the feature. On mine the visor is starting to get weak on the hinges so it slams shut over 40 mph  - I often ride to work before 7 am and the fogging is then at its worst, it wasn't much of an issue when I started work at 9 am.
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: jimv50 on September 15, 2015, 09:46:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far.
Pinlock seems to be necessary nowadays, flip up fronts are rarely used as matthew says and I really want a DD chinstrap (and a DD girlfriend).
Shark is one I've been seeing a lot on the internet and they get good reviews, as they should for the prices.
AGV get good reviews as well and I remember them as being one of the helmets with street cred.
Anyone tried a Marushin?

I'm in no rush as I'll be away from the bike until November
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: LesH on September 22, 2015, 06:29:21 PM
Have a look at J&S Accessories ( http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/helmets )  I'm in the same position with a garage full of worn out old friends and J&S have a pretty big range at various prices to suit all pockets by the looks of it.  ::)
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: NigelWilmshurst on September 22, 2015, 09:08:33 PM
I have the bell bullitt, looks and feels good, but noisy
Title: Re: new helmet, choices?
Post by: Noelia on September 22, 2015, 09:39:49 PM
I have the bell bullit it looks great but it is very uncomfortable, the leather padding is way hard, it's noisy as hell I regret spending all of that money on it, My partner have the gringo of biltwell half the price of the bell bullit and and way less noisy and super comfortable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk