Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Coppertop1234 on September 29, 2015, 04:51:09 PM
-
Just been on a lovely ride out on the F1 Nice sunny day apart from the adolescent teenage on the back of the school bus.
Thought I heard a slight ringing sound and bike was a little less responsive.Just got into the driveway and the ringing became a clattering from the clutch.
Yup definitely the clutch pull in the lever and what a rattle.
Checked all cables they are fine, can't adjust to solve the issue.
Never changed one before on a bike, is it easy enough ? Do I need any special tools?
Hints /Tips / Advice appreciated.
Cheers
Keith Senior
-
firstly,you say the bike is running not as good as before?
it maybe clutch rattle because one or more cylinders are running rough,
does the noise lessen if you put it in gear?
has the tickover speed altered? slower ?
-
Cheers for comments, but definitely not clutch rattle
Bike was dragging a bit nothing much
When I got into drive and pulled in the clutch it sounded like a can of marbles and when trying to select a gear it wouldn't select only grind as if I had no clutch bite at all.
Cheers
Keith Snr
-
suggest you remove the clutch cover,and check the clutch basket,springs .and center,
do you have a manual?
its not a difficult job,
-
Thanks John
I will strip at weekend and have a better look
Yes I have manual - just watched hackaweek on you tube and it looks straight forward -apart from the tool thats required (I had better order one)
I think it will be the clutch release lever rather than the clutch plates - unsure where i will source one of these at moment can't see anything on DSS site
-
... unsure where i will source one of these at moment can't see anything on DSS site
If you have a Parts List try searching for the part on DS by number.
I have known parts where the part is common to multiple models and isn't listed on the model page but comes up when you search by number.
If it still doesn't show then Google the P/N.
-
I would think it will be the clutch lifter plate bearing that has collapsed
New springs and bearing on order
-
Split clutch today after ordering new parts inc heavy duty springs, so I could rebuild,only to find the clutch was not the issue.
It was the last person who worked on the clutch 25 years ago,obviously they didn't have a torque wrench as the bearing carrier had drifted loose.
No wonder it sounded like a can of marbles.
(http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/keithjones1400/IMG_2124_zpsatrjyevl.jpg) (http://s252.photobucket.com/user/keithjones1400/media/IMG_2124_zpsatrjyevl.jpg.html)
(http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/keithjones1400/IMG_2126_zpszlngswv9.jpg) (http://s252.photobucket.com/user/keithjones1400/media/IMG_2126_zpszlngswv9.jpg.html)
(http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/keithjones1400/IMG_2129_zpsajpdwwzr.jpg) (http://s252.photobucket.com/user/keithjones1400/media/IMG_2129_zpsajpdwwzr.jpg.html)
The retaining nut was loose and not locked with the lock tab
(http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/keithjones1400/IMG_2130_zps9rq6wwde.jpg) (http://s252.photobucket.com/user/keithjones1400/media/IMG_2130_zps9rq6wwde.jpg.html)
Well while i was in I replaced the bearing and seals,checked friction pads,which were fine
Torqued retaining bolt to 34lb and locked with tab
Replaced damaged bolts & torqued to 9lb
Rebuilt and all is as should be
Glad the bolts drifted out while pottering about at home and not on a run to coast