Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on October 04, 2015, 06:03:04 PM

Title: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 04, 2015, 06:03:04 PM
Was looking round for new rubber head inserts. 12195-300-000 Supercedes to CB250/350 part 12620-286-000. Well DS charges £3.90 each. There are 22 of them so that's £85.80  !!  CMS charge 3.50 Euros plus tax and Yamiya charge 3.20 Euro.

Anyway, after checking my NOS NB (Noboru Packing) gasket set, they are included with the 'O'rings, stem seals etc. Same with the NOS CB250/350 full gasket set from them, I have,  but NOT on the top end set..Do NP still make gasket sets and which other gaskets sets contain these rip-off rubber parts? Did the genuine Gasket set contain them? They should be grey (mine are ) but i think the Honda replacement ones are black/
Frankenstuff on the US site evidently repro's them but can't find them for sale.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,74022.msg1599360.html#msg1599360

Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: JamesH on October 04, 2015, 07:14:11 PM
Ash I'm sure I've seen a German seller
On eBay with these? Not at a pc now but will look tomorrow for you...
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: JamesH on October 04, 2015, 07:15:43 PM
Yep, not cheap...
http://m.ebay.de/itm/10-x-Honda-CB-750-Four-K0-K6-F-F2-Gummidaempfer-Gummi-Zylinder-Rubber-Insert-Kit-/161620185605?nav=SEARCH
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 04, 2015, 07:50:10 PM
Yep, not cheap...
http://m.ebay.de/itm/10-x-Honda-CB-750-Four-K0-K6-F-F2-Gummidaempfer-Gummi-Zylinder-Rubber-Insert-Kit-/161620185605?nav=SEARCH

They should be grey James !
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: JamesH on October 04, 2015, 08:00:16 PM
http://r.ebay.com/vtLJJA
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 04, 2015, 08:36:54 PM
http://r.ebay.com/vtLJJA

fk  ... that's only for 10 pieces !
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: JamesH on October 04, 2015, 08:58:58 PM
Yep. Get your rubber casting kit out ash...:-)
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 04, 2015, 09:47:11 PM
Yep. Get your rubber casting kit out ash...:-)

Already got 'em mate ...in my 20 quid NOS NP Gasket Kit  ;D

Seriously though .. anyone know how much Frankenstuff on the USA site charges for a full set? They look pretty good in the pics.
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: RGP750 on October 04, 2015, 10:23:13 PM
I'm on the case James ;)
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: JamesH on October 04, 2015, 10:32:03 PM
Knew it would only be a matter of time Rich...
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: RGP750 on October 05, 2015, 06:55:23 AM
watch this space ;D ;D
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 05, 2015, 08:20:11 AM
watch this space ;D ;D

Not wishing to put you off Rich but the only problem I have had with stuff like this is you put loads of effort into repro'ing stuff and unbeknown to you, somebody else with much greater resources already has them in the wings ! I was once looking at repro'ing 750 K0 plastic clock covers...thank God I abandoned it early doors 'cos Lecram produces them spot on at a reasonable price. I would find out how much Frankenstuff charges first, as his rubber thingys look spot on.
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: RGP750 on October 05, 2015, 08:47:46 AM
I do agree to a point Ash ,look at the chain guards.
although they seem to have disappeared now.
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 05, 2015, 08:55:44 AM
I do agree to a point Ash ,look at the chain guards.
although they seem to have disappeared now.

Suppose the rubber things are quite simple mould Rich but they would have to be in a high temp polymer.

The plastic chainguards are linked to LPM who do the airboxes, covers etc for 750 etc. but it's the owners son. Will chase up, as I need one myself as mine has two neat little tears in it from when the drive chain snapped, way back when.
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: Chris400F on October 05, 2015, 10:59:32 AM
Frankenstuff on the US site evidently repro's them but can't find them for sale.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,74022.msg1599360.html#msg1599360
I had a look at the linked thread, out of interest.
If you read down a few posts there is one from Mr Frankenstuff that says "Those inserts are not a stocked or....produced item.".
That may explain why you haven't found them for sale.
Have you tried contacting him to see if he can get any more made?
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 05, 2015, 11:50:34 AM
Frankenstuff on the US site evidently repro's them but can't find them for sale.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,74022.msg1599360.html#msg1599360
I had a look at the linked thread, out of interest.
If you read down a few posts there is one from Mr Frankenstuff that says "Those inserts are not a stocked or....produced item.".
That may explain why you haven't found them for sale.
Have you tried contacting him to see if he can get any more made?

I don't actually need em (see post) but I can do for other members.
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: MrDavo on October 06, 2015, 12:20:18 PM
Do they make much of an audible difference? No sign of them on my motor, other than the holes they fit in.

They must be some use, or they wouldn't exist.
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 06, 2015, 01:15:13 PM
Do they make much of an audible difference? No sign of them on my motor, other than the holes they fit in.

They must be some use, or they wouldn't exist.

Think they dampen any ringing oscillation of the fins. Bit like the grey  cementy stuff of the inside face of chromed tinware type points covers.
Title: Re: Rubber Head Inserts
Post by: MrDavo on October 06, 2015, 02:00:19 PM
Bit like the grey  cementy stuff of the inside face of chromed tinware type points covers.

That I do have, and I thought it was some unsightly repair or bodge by a previous owner!