Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: dave400 on October 05, 2015, 08:41:53 PM

Title: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: dave400 on October 05, 2015, 08:41:53 PM
When I restored my 400 I had a struggle finding a couple of original parts that I had to have, even on a well known auction site looking world wide......... Things are better now with the repo stuff so what is the hardest part to find for a 400/4 now.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: mike the bike on October 05, 2015, 08:58:38 PM
It took me ages to get a decent airbox
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Lobo on October 06, 2015, 12:09:53 AM
...after 2+ yrs I'm still looking for UK Spec 750K2 handlebars. DSS part on it now - holes in wrong place, bars canted & look all wrong. Guess it's a problem due a relatively small market (ie UK part #). Won't waste more money on repro 'bars.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Trigger on October 06, 2015, 08:03:12 AM
...after 2+ yrs I'm still looking for UK Spec 750K2 handlebars. DSS part on it now - holes in wrong place, bars canted & look all wrong. Guess it's a problem due a relatively small market (ie UK part #). Won't waste more money on repro 'bars.

Is this the problem that the grip is 20mm from the switch ?
If so, I was told that it was a design feature so that the extra High/ low switch would fit on the left side of the main switch. I have had these wrong UK repro bars from USA, Germany, Canada and Holland. Funny thing is the new repro 400 bars have the same problem but, do not need the extra High/Low switch.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 06, 2015, 08:33:34 AM
Decent ---286-- 'Fat' cam for CB250/350K0-> early K2 and cam followers... they are always sh*gged, even low milers from the States . The one that gave the 250 30HP and the 325 cc (350) 36 BHP. Or even a decent ---312--- cam for that matter. DK sold me a decent one, only to ship it in a plastic bag with no padding and the advance shaft got broken off in transit  :'(

Got some 750K2 nice bars as a spare with my K0 .. Now I know why they got snapped up on eBay for 25 quid. Didn't realize they are so rare.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Trigger on October 06, 2015, 09:43:30 AM
25mm fuse's  ;D ;D 30mm fit fine  ::)
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: hairygit on October 06, 2015, 12:03:56 PM
Any part of a 750F1 exhaust, new!
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Lobo on October 06, 2015, 02:45:03 PM
Hi Trig,

Yep, there is a gap between the grip & switch, though an annoying 5mm and not enough for the hi-low switch thing. (which would push the main switch / mirror out too far I'd have though if inserted there?)  But bottom line the drillings are just misplaced meaning the switch locating lugs mean the bars have to be canted too far forward - looks odd let alone that the clutch / brake levers are a reach down as well as out! As I say, don't trust the pattern bars now, unsure what to do.. American OEM bars?

Simon
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Trigger on October 06, 2015, 03:07:56 PM
You seem to have a smaller gap than me. Would love it to be only 5mm, If it is only 5mm that would mean that the bars are a repro of the K6, which has the bigger switch.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: dave400 on October 24, 2015, 10:23:31 PM
The part I looked for the longest for my 400 (about 2 years ) but I had to just have it!....was the petrol pipe protector its just a coil of wire, but I wanted one. I ended up buying a group of parts from eBay USA for about $15 and $10 postage. I made my money back selling the other bits over here, I'm not a rivet counter or anything, it was just a challenge as it gets lost from 400's,how many 400's on here still have it attached?
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Lobo on October 25, 2015, 07:16:45 AM
...funny old thing Dave I found that easily... Wemoto as I remember. Granted, maybe not OEM but certainly perfect enough.

But... have you tried to find the 4 weeny black plastic caps that fit over the car air screws?  Good luck with that one!

Simon.

(PS, I did, tracked down a set at bloody £2 each)
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Norniron on October 25, 2015, 08:24:28 AM
You seem to have a smaller gap than me.



Really?😀
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Trigger on October 25, 2015, 01:57:32 PM
The part I looked for the longest for my 400 (about 2 years ) but I had to just have it!....was the petrol pipe protector its just a coil of wire, but I wanted one. I ended up buying a group of parts from eBay USA for about $15 and $10 postage. I made my money back selling the other bits over here, I'm not a rivet counter or anything, it was just a challenge as it gets lost from 400's,how many 400's on here still have it attached?

The heat shield spring is used on many motorcross bikes and anything off road >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bike-Cycle-Fuel-Petrol-Wire-Pipe-Safety-Spring-Cover-Heat-Guard-Shield-ATV-/171959925173?hash=item28099c39b5:g:mHUAAOSw4iRWE5yS
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: dave400 on October 25, 2015, 04:51:27 PM
...funny old thing Dave I found that easily... Wemoto as I remember. Granted, maybe not OEM but certainly perfect enough.

But... have you tried to find the 4 weeny black plastic caps that fit over the car air screws?  Good luck with that one!

Simon.

(PS, I did, tracked down a set at bloody £2 each)


I looked for that specific part as a challenge just to see if I could get it, my carbs had the plastic caps on the screws I'm glad I never needed to track those down! I reckon you did well finding those. I still have a couple of parts I'd like to find but its not the end of the world if they don't turn up.

Cheers...Dave
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: dave400 on October 25, 2015, 04:55:47 PM
The part I looked for the longest for my 400 (about 2 years ) but I had to just have it!....was the petrol pipe protector its just a coil of wire, but I wanted one. I ended up buying a group of parts from eBay USA for about $15 and $10 postage. I made my money back selling the other bits over here, I'm not a rivet counter or anything, it was just a challenge as it gets lost from 400's,how many 400's on here still have it attached?

The heat shield spring is used on many motorcross bikes and anything off road >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bike-Cycle-Fuel-Petrol-Wire-Pipe-Safety-Spring-Cover-Heat-Guard-Shield-ATV-/171959925173?hash=item28099c39b5:g:mHUAAOSw4iRWE5yS


That part looks close but no cigar......I only wanted 400/4 specific parts.

Cheers.......Dave
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Trigger on October 25, 2015, 05:26:35 PM
The part I looked for the longest for my 400 (about 2 years ) but I had to just have it!....was the petrol pipe protector its just a coil of wire, but I wanted one. I ended up buying a group of parts from eBay USA for about $15 and $10 postage. I made my money back selling the other bits over here, I'm not a rivet counter or anything, it was just a challenge as it gets lost from 400's,how many 400's on here still have it attached?

The heat shield spring is used on many motorcross bikes and anything off road >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bike-Cycle-Fuel-Petrol-Wire-Pipe-Safety-Spring-Cover-Heat-Guard-Shield-ATV-/171959925173?hash=item28099c39b5:g:mHUAAOSw4iRWE5yS


That part looks close but no cigar......I only wanted 400/4 specific parts.

Cheers.......Dave

I have some old OEM ones, one is longer and has a bigger dia but, I have a smaller one that came from my old 400. It is a bit tarnished and you are welcome to it  ;)
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: taysidedragon on October 25, 2015, 05:46:48 PM
The original type 400/4 kickstart lever. I'm using one from a different model, cb250 I think.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: dave400 on October 25, 2015, 05:54:11 PM
The part I looked for the longest for my 400 (about 2 years ) but I had to just have it!....was the petrol pipe protector its just a coil of wire, but I wanted one. I ended up buying a group of parts from eBay USA for about $15 and $10 postage. I made my money back selling the other bits over here, I'm not a rivet counter or anything, it was just a challenge as it gets lost from 400's,how many 400's on here still have it attached?

The heat shield spring is used on many motorcross bikes and anything off road >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bike-Cycle-Fuel-Petrol-Wire-Pipe-Safety-Spring-Cover-Heat-Guard-Shield-ATV-/171959925173?hash=item28099c39b5:g:mHUAAOSw4iRWE5yS


That part looks close but no cigar......I only wanted 400/4 specific parts.

Cheers.......Dave

I have some old OEM ones, one is longer and has a bigger dia but, I have a smaller one that came from my old 400. It is a bit tarnished and you are welcome to it  ;)

Thanks for the kind offer but I have the part now, my bike has a few non Honda parts fitted but I consider those to be upgrades on the original spec. The pipe protector had too be had  8)

Cheers Dave
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Spitfire on October 26, 2015, 08:43:55 AM
The part that took me a while to find for my CB750F1 was the original metal rear mudguard, it had two flutes on the back to catch water so that it could rust through, I replaced it on mine with an alloy mudguard section when the bike was new. When I restored the bike I fitted a plastic F2 version, it took a couple of years scanning eBay to find the correct one.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Honda Al on October 26, 2015, 09:32:26 AM
I'm currently looking for the red kill switch/knob off the r/h side controls for a CB500 K1. Just the knob!
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Drew400 on November 10, 2015, 02:50:34 PM
Hi Dave,

My crankshaft needed 10 new main bearings (part no. 13315-333-003 (size Black)). After scouring various sites and suppliers to find lots of 'discontinued' (adding "you'll be lucky") messages, one kind soul on this forum found 9 for me. The final one came from Holland.

If I believe my own luck/PR, my engine is now running with the last ever original (black) bearings to be fitted!

Cheers, D.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: tofumatt on November 11, 2015, 11:59:13 AM
The original type 400/4 kickstart lever. I'm using one from a different model, cb250 I think.

Yeah this one is a crazy hard find. Mine was damaged when I bought mine and I fit a cb350 one years back, but recently my kickstart spindle needed replacing so I looked again. http://www.cmsnl.com/ had literally ONE in stock and I'm not proud of the price I paid for it. But I do have one now. Was one of the last suppliers in Europe or North America I found with one :O
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Clem2112 on November 11, 2015, 12:32:23 PM
I nearly gave up looking for the gear lever then a NOS one turned up at Guvnor's Bridge for £30 ish a couple of years back, complete with a new joint.

Spare ball n socket (Rose) joints with their nylon cups would be nice.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: flatfour on November 11, 2015, 04:00:36 PM
I had real problems finding a kick - start return spring for the CB 500/4 (I now keep a spare) and am still looking for a set of rear wheel cush drive rubbers. I had a clutch push rod made some years ago, as I could not find a replacement for that and know others who are still looking for these same items.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: flatfour on November 13, 2015, 11:44:09 AM
If you have, I would really like to buy them from you. Please let me know.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: flatfour on November 14, 2015, 09:34:04 AM
Oddjob, please let me know your price. I will send a cheque, as I don't (at least as yet) have a Pay Pal account.
Title: Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
Post by: Chris400F on November 14, 2015, 11:25:37 AM
A PayPal account should only take minutes to set up and it's a really useful thing to have.
It makes life so much easier when both buying and selling.