Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Luke87 on October 06, 2015, 02:25:32 PM

Title: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Luke87 on October 06, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Hi all. Just joined the forum after lurking around reading for a few days!
Don't have a bike currently but having just sold my old sports bike I really fancy getting into the classic Honda scene.
I friend of mine has not long bought a cb750 cafe racer project and after riding it home for him I want one of my own!
Ideally after a 550 as I prefer the 'cleaner' look that can be achieved with them as opposed to the 750 due to the wet sump configuration.
I really enjoy tinkering and getting my hands dirty so really looking forward to getting my hands on one.
After having scanned eBay constantly for the past few weeks there has been a few that have caught my eye but haven't committed to anything yet as Everything seems to be miles away!
I've noticed people want top money for original bikes which is understandable, but originality doesn't really concern me as I'll be changing bits and pieces to suit my taste anyway.
One thing I have learnt though is that no UK bikes seem to of came with the classic fuel tank with the exposed chrome filler cap which is something I'd prefer.
In the mean time I'll continue to browse the forum and continue my search! Cheers. Luke.
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Trigger on October 06, 2015, 03:52:10 PM
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC, 550F is a great bike just, keep away from the K3.
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Luke87 on October 06, 2015, 08:26:04 PM
Ok that's interesting. Any particular reason to avoid the k3?
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: hairygit on October 06, 2015, 08:27:33 PM
Yes, carbs are crap, and block themselves for a hobby!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Norniron on October 06, 2015, 08:53:55 PM
Have a look for a ratty 500 and you will get the tank and more or less the same bike
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: mick on October 06, 2015, 09:47:52 PM
Hello Luke and welcome to the forum  ;) cheers Mick.
Title: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Noelia on October 06, 2015, 10:18:34 PM
The member four in the forum have a 500 in pieces a frame with v5 on his name an engine an have in bits seat tank side panel! All that you need! And it's a 500. Get in touch with him i got his email if you want it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: totty on October 06, 2015, 10:37:48 PM
Yes, carbs are crap, and block themselves for a hobby!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

I read this comment on this forum almost monthly,  but I last had to clean the carbs on my k3 6 years ago, and even then it was only required as it had stood unused for 9 years.
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Nurse Julie on October 07, 2015, 10:14:23 AM
Welcome Luke. I hope you find all the info you need on the Forum and have fun also
Regards
Julie
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Trigger on October 07, 2015, 07:23:10 PM
Not one from the Brown collection James ;D
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: mike the bike on October 07, 2015, 07:27:43 PM
I used to have a K3. Never had any bother with the carbs but the coils used to play up if there was any moisture in the air.
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Trigger on October 07, 2015, 09:20:22 PM
I told you Graham, brown is cool. Clearly you're not cool enough to get it..;-)

Us old farts are not as cool as you youngsters  ;)
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on October 07, 2015, 10:54:10 PM
Would beige be more old fart style!! ;)
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: andy120t on October 08, 2015, 08:31:53 AM
didn't they make Allegros in that colour.... (by the way, I like it!)
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Trigger on October 08, 2015, 08:34:25 AM
There you go James, another fan for the brown club ;D
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: mick on October 09, 2015, 11:11:36 AM
Russet Brown the Allegro's used to have estate car  ;) cheers mick.
Title: Re: New member looking for a CB550
Post by: Bryanj on October 09, 2015, 12:54:03 PM
Too many letters in that all agro colour---should be Rust Brown