Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: El__burro on October 23, 2015, 10:11:47 AM
-
After a 5 minutes test ride (cb750 k2) I've noticed oil spilling out of the oil tank. Probably too much in it.
I am trying to read the stick but there is no min/max sign.
8/10 of oil tank is full.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
El__burro
-
I have a friend that has a 750,he made the error of checking the oil when cold,
now he runs the bike for a few miles,then checks it,apparantly they suffer from seepage from the tank to the sump,
my advice is check at least some oil in the tank,then run the motor,and check when its hot,
-
Easy to put too much in if you do it when the bike is stone cold and plenty of oil is hiding in the sump.
There is a valve in the oil pump, a spring loaded piston with a rubber seal at one end, which is meant to keep the oil upstairs in the tank when the bike isn't running. Mine looks OK but clearly isn't as the oil level in the tank drops considerably as the bike stands.
Apparently the seal is made of unobtanium, I have registered an interest with David Silver who will email me if it ever becomes available again.
-
Since the engine was emptied of all the oil and replaced with new one, i am thinking the extra amount against the manual recommendation.(http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23/3e1ecd90bbb8723641557d34d32f8989.jpg)
Thanks
El__burro
-
Don't believe everything you read ;)
-
Oil level check after ticking over for 3 mins on warm engine which allows oil to be scavenged back to tank
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Where on the dipstick?
-
Easy to put too much in if you do it when the bike is stone cold and plenty of oil is hiding in the sump.
There is a valve in the oil pump, a spring loaded piston with a rubber seal at one end, which is meant to keep the oil upstairs in the tank when the bike isn't running. Mine looks OK but clearly isn't as the oil level in the tank drops considerably as the bike stands.
Apparently the seal is made of unobtanium, I have registered an interest with David Silver who will email me if it ever becomes available again.
If you are talking about the stopper seal, they are available and I do sell to members. I had some in stock but, have just ran out ;)
-
Where on the dipstick?
Between the lines, low and full. On the centre stand with the engine oil hot.
-
Thanks, 3 minutes at idle will be fine?
Where on the dipstick?
Between the lines, low and full. On the centre stand with the engine oil hot.
-
they are available and I do sell to members. I had some in stock but, have just ran out ;)
Not available then! ;D
Do give us a heads up if more surface, ta.
-
I removed almost a pint of oil, then let on idle for 3-4 minutes oil level was at just below the top line on dipstick. After a 10 minutes ride the level was again too high.
Also I have realised that some oil is spitting from the tachometer cable hole. (as i am not using the cable)
Hopefully that's just a consequence of too much oil.
Hopefully...
El__burro
-
they are available and I do sell to members. I had some in stock but, have just ran out ;)
Not available then! ;D
Do give us a heads up if more surface, ta.
OK Mr Davo, just had a hunt in my linbin's and found one. PM what you require ;)
-
Yep too much oil. At least you know the oil pump is doing it's job and scavenging properly. Have you measured/monitored oil pressure on the main gallery supply?
-
My worry is that if i remove any more oil the tank will be almost empty, is that normal?
I have no idea how to measure the oil pressure on the main gallery supply.
el__burro
-
Thanks very much for having a look for the stop valve seal Trigger.
That said, since I dismantled and cleaned the pump, and refitted it with 4 new O-rings last week, its stopped draining into the sump! I just went out to the garage, and the level is exactly where it was 4 days ago when I last ran the bike. :) maybe that would work for you, OP, or fit Trigger's stop valve seal.
Maybe my stop valve piston wasn't moving freely, or maybe the flat and hard O-rings were leaking, but that seems to be fixed for now, so I'll leave well alone. thanks again for the offer, though.
Interesting that you are getting a leak from the tacho drive, El__burro, I have a slight leak and when I rode the bike I seemed to get a bit of a fog on the glass of the tacho as if it is breathing down the cable. I have a new seal, but with the drive spindle in place, I can only pick at the old seal with my dental pick and damage it more, I couldn't shift it. I'm guessing I may need to go medieval on it and cut it or get a self tapper in there. The downside is that once I start I'll have to see it through, and if unsuccessful the only way to get the drive spindle out is with the cam cover off and the engine out, as far as I can see.
-
This worked for me, http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8300.msg54888.html#msg54888.
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/teething%20troubles/MCandTachoseals002M.jpg)
Cheers
Dennis
-
Thanks Dennis I'll give that a go. It's a leap of faith to irrevocably destroy the old seal with the screw, but I can see there will be much more purchase on it than using my little dental pick.
-
My worry is that if i remove any more oil the tank will be almost empty, is that normal?
I have no idea how to measure the oil pressure on the main gallery supply.
el__burro