Honda-SOHC
General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Honda Al on October 26, 2015, 09:50:52 AM
-
Hi all,
Just bought a 1972 Honda Cb500 K1 from those lovely guys at DK Motorcycles in Stoke. Some great bits on it, some good bits and some needing attention. It's my winter project bike to keep me out of the way, much to my wife's despair!
I also own a Honda 2000 CBR 929 Fireblade (is that a dirty word on this site?!). Love them both.
I'll be asking all sorts of advice here, and hopefully help other people out along the way.
Alan
-
Hi Alan
Welcome from sunny Ashford.
I saw that one and thought it looked pretty good overall.
I had a 500 back in 1972 and may be looking for another one
when the current project is finished.
Plenty of help on here and a friendly bunch.
Rich
-
Welcome to the forum Alan, I'm sure you will find all the help you need here and have fun at the same time
Julie
-
I had a 500 back in 1972 and may be looking for another one
when the current project is finished.
Rich
When will that be then Rich ? ;D ;D ;D ;D
:-* :-* :-*
-
Next Summer i hope Julie.
Subject to funds letting me buy some 300 exhausts, unless you
know some ;) ;)one with a spare set ;D ;D ;D ;D
-
Hi Alan
Welcome from sunny Ashford.
I saw that one and thought it looked pretty good overall.
I had a 500 back in 1972 and may be looking for another one
when the current project is finished.
Plenty of help on here and a friendly bunch.
Rich
Mechanically it's ok and has signs of it having been looked after in its previous life. Fuel tank is a mess and needs some love, the exhaust is going, dirty as hell underneath (although no signs of leaks!) and just needs an overall service. Knocked them down a few hundred when it didn't sell on ebay so all is good ;)
-
Nice project Alan .. sounds like we are both on the same path albeit my project is a very long term affair and waiting for HM323 pipes to become available too. Just had to have one to semi complete my Honda collection...wouldn't mind a CD175 'sloper' to finish with though, but again original pipes are the stumbling block on that one.
Very pleased with the CB350K1 I got from DK (I too negotiated outside of eBay)
All CB500 manuals in my Dropbox if you don't have them already.
Cheers .... Ash
-
This is the place, closer to Newcastle under Lyme than Stoke.
http://www.dkmotorcycles.com/
The import side is mainly listed through eBay, search for a CB350/500/750 etc and they should pop up. When I collected this bike they were telling me about the import side of the business, they have offices in Denver and send over a few crates a month of motorcycles in various states along with parts.
Alan
-
This is the place, closer to Newcastle under Lyme than Stoke.
http://www.dkmotorcycles.com/
The import side is mainly listed through eBay, search for a CB350/500/750 etc and they should pop up. When I collected this bike they were telling me about the import side of the business, they have offices in Denver and send over a few crates a month of motorcycles in various states along with parts.
Alan
It's an old pottery works (possibly Royal Doulton) on the A34 close to Newcastle-Under-Lyme. Brilliant day out there for any bike nut, even if you don't buy anything and they have little cafe upstairs near the spares counter plus a bit of a museum with early Kawasakis etc up there too. There's an air of sadness about the place though, seeing all of those unloved bikes and a real old bike shop type smell about it. I find the Classic Sales guys Mark and Neil there to be really friendly but my mate from York went there the other week and the regulars were away and there was another bloke there who was totally unfriendly. The amount of stock they have round the back is unbelievable. Funnily enough I used to go round there quite regularly in the mid 80's, as it is close to what was Silverdale Colliery, where I was testing out some electronics gear.
This is from early last year .. you can just spot my green'69 CB350K1 if you don't blink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxOtpX4XRFg