Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: El__burro on November 23, 2015, 05:10:13 PM

Title: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: El__burro on November 23, 2015, 05:10:13 PM
Hello, having almost sorted the rest of the bike I am preparing for my first MOT attempt.
I have been reading a lot of very confusing posts online but probably I can get a more straight forward answer here.

How can I work out if my tyres are MOT fail or pass?

Also what tyres would you advise (for regular daily use).

Regards
el__burro
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: Chris400F on November 24, 2015, 11:24:32 AM
Obvious things to check are things like tread depth, correct fitment, damage to tread or sidewalls (cracks, bulges, splits,...).
This is the relevant page in the MoT Testers Manual, quickly found via Google.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_410.htm

As far as which tyres there are various threads on here with people extolling the virtues of and/or expressing a preference for various makes and models (types?) of tyres.
There are no right answers. Maybe browse a few of the threads and see what others use to get an idea.
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: El__burro on November 27, 2015, 01:31:37 PM
Thanks,
it looks like I need to replace the rear tyre at least.
Should all 4.00-18 with a H as speed index be fine?

Thanks
el__burro
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: Chris400F on November 27, 2015, 06:52:33 PM
Sort of.
If you go for one of the newer tyres with metric sizing you will find the equivalent size will be 110/90-18 or maybe 120/90-18.
These tyres may come with a higher speed rating, I think Avon RoadRiders are V rated.
Check out the manufacturer's web sites - certainly Avon will tell you what tyres / sizes are suitable for your bike.
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: pablo on November 27, 2015, 07:32:56 PM
Also check the valves are not perished or cracked. A common oversight it's not always the tyre that causes a fail.
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: Chris-freckle on December 14, 2015, 04:17:26 PM
I have fitted a part of dunlop tt100's on mine, it seems this is not the way forward as they are not rekoned good but I am really pleased with them.
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: Bryanj on December 15, 2015, 06:27:29 AM
TT100's were the best tyre available when the bike was current
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: MarkCR750 on December 15, 2015, 09:25:42 AM
TT100's were the best tyre available when the bike was current
I believe that the modern version of the TT100 is called K82, very similar tread pattern to the Tt100 but made with modern compound, I dug my thumbnail into one and the compound seemed very soft, great for grip but maybe they won't last too long on the back?, road riders are good tyres and reasonably priced.
PS fit new inner tubes as a matter of course, your life depends on them just as much as the tyre, I've seen badly rusted valve seats on old inner tubes, not worth risking re-using them.
Title: Re: Tyre thread for MOT cb750 k2
Post by: flatfour on December 15, 2015, 08:17:59 PM
I always fit TT100's to all of the old bikes at first tyre change. Rears on the CB500 last me around 4,500 - 5,000 miles (similar life on a Benelli 750/6 that I also have them on and the 750K6 that I owned for some years). The front tyre never seems to wear out, or lose its profile.

As we did in the 1970's, I fit an oversize (4.10) to the front of them all and a 4.10 to the rear of the 500, a 4.25 to the other bikes.

From choice, I wouldn't fit anything else!)