Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: theof on December 03, 2015, 10:02:37 PM

Title: Newbie in London
Post by: theof on December 03, 2015, 10:02:37 PM
Hi all,

Looking forward to sharing and learning on here. I picked up a 750 K6 this summer and have finally got the bits together to finish it up. Will be my first bike since a 50s BSA a few years ago, was into VW cars before that.

Added a couple of pics of the bike: Bought on eBay (hope I didn't pay over the odds!) US import and needs a few parts and services to get it registered, MOT etc. Plan is to keep it simple and on the road before thinking about crazy mods.

Already soaked up some old posts on here and have found great advice, so thanks there. Hope there is more to come.

Any Londoners on here?

Cheers,
Theo
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: onethumb on December 03, 2015, 10:19:18 PM
Hi buddy I've recently found my way to this site and it is the friendliest forum I have used.

good luck with the bike.
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: UK Pete on December 04, 2015, 06:16:16 AM
Hi theo, and welcome, looks like a good clean bike you have got yourself, US bikes are generally much better condition because of the climate
where abouts in London are you
pete
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: theof on December 04, 2015, 07:46:15 AM
UK Pete - I'm in Tottenham, North London. What bike do you have?

Your right about the climate, I think me bike is already missing the warm dry air.
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: UK Pete on December 04, 2015, 03:26:48 PM
I am in Sidcup, south london /kent, i have a few cb750's i have the first model (sandcast) and the last model F2/F3, and a few in between ones, but none of them are on the road at the moment, My k1 is roadworthy but sorned
pete
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: bomber on December 13, 2015, 11:40:38 PM
Hello,
I have cb550f and I'm in Stoke Newington we should hook up!
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: AshimotoK0 on December 14, 2015, 07:47:19 AM
Hi welcome from me too from the frozen north Theo !
Nice project you have there.

You probably have seen these already but if you need a fast link to manuals then I bunged them in my Dropbox...here's the link

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html

Cheers ... Ash
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: Nurse Julie on December 14, 2015, 07:46:57 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum from Lincolnshire. Have fun
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: theof on January 25, 2016, 10:50:38 AM
Hello,
I have cb550f and I'm in Stoke Newington we should hook up!

Big time. Is your bike running? I need to put a bit of love into the front brake (seized bleed nipple), then should be ready to MOT.

Nice to know there is a local :)

Theo
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: theof on January 25, 2016, 10:51:19 AM
Hi welcome from me too from the frozen north Theo !
Nice project you have there.

You probably have seen these already but if you need a fast link to manuals then I bunged them in my Dropbox...here's the link

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html

Cheers ... Ash

This is so helpful. Thank you!
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: Bryanj on January 26, 2016, 06:32:05 AM
If the brake bleeder is seized DO NOT just try to undo it you need to heat the alloy casting around it with a small blowtorch first or you will snap it off
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: theof on January 26, 2016, 12:00:31 PM
Bryanj.

Thanks for the tip. I've had it soaked in penetrating fluid for a week. Was going to clamp it (nipple) in the vice, and then turn the caliper.

Although, based on your advice, I'll do the heat method. Any idea how long I should be heating it for?

Cheers,
Theo
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: Bryanj on January 26, 2016, 04:37:57 PM
Till the alloy is just over warm but you can still hold it
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: mick on January 26, 2016, 09:33:28 PM
Hi Theo and welcome  ;), your new bike looks like a good starting point plenty of advice on here if you need it  :), cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: bomber on January 27, 2016, 09:18:14 PM
Hi Theof,
I'm still fixing my bike, had it running for few months two years ago and now just about to put it back on the road.
Fingers crossed another month or two and be riding it again.

Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: theof on February 07, 2016, 04:14:20 PM
Great success!

After some penetrating fluid then heat. Bleed nipple is out.

Here is a pic of my set up
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: Bryanj on February 08, 2016, 06:41:18 AM
Told you so!!!
Title: Re: Newbie in London
Post by: theof on February 08, 2016, 10:24:49 AM
you did! think, i was leaving it soaking in penetrating fluid, waiting for it to fix itself. now i know, heat, does the hard work for you.