Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on December 06, 2015, 08:24:29 AM
-
Pulled this out of my resto thread. Unfamiliar with the retainer on the 500 rear Hub. Should it be steel ? ..mine definitely is. Pretty sure it's left hand thread. Going to make a 4-peg tool at work tomorrow as I don't want to Fk it up. Looks expensive if you do! So glad that I don't have to deal with a cracked drum liner though. I presume I will get access to the rubber dampers once the retainer comes off.
[attachimg=1]
-
The tool for front and rear retainer are available off ebay for about £50 the pair. The actual retainers I belive are hard to get hold of, I just saw one on ebay at £25 plus postage and that is in usa. I am afraid I am none the wiser about actually removing the retainer as to date I have never had the bearings fail, despite the milages I covered with a sidecar on my 500/4. I did try when re lining my brake drum, but gave up when welding a 1" section 2 foot bit of scrap on there still didn't budge it, so I just dressed the welds back and left it. I dread having to do the bearings based on that but think I may treat myself to the tool that is on ebay once my finances recover from the pain of getting 2 cars taxed and tested sack bang in the middle of the christmas period, my stupid fault for going soft and deciding to stop using the bike in winter.
-
The tool for front and rear retainer are available off ebay for about £50 the pair. The actual retainers I belive are hard to get hold of, I just saw one on ebay at £25 plus postage and that is in usa. I am afraid I am none the wiser about actually removing the retainer as to date I have never had the bearings fail, despite the milages I covered with a sidecar on my 500/4. I did try when re lining my brake drum, but gave up when welding a 1" section 2 foot bit of scrap on there still didn't budge it, so I just dressed the welds back and left it. I dread having to do the bearings based on that but think I may treat myself to the tool that is on ebay once my finances recover from the pain of getting 2 cars taxed and tested sack bang in the middle of the christmas period, my stupid fault for going soft and deciding to stop using the bike in winter.
Posted on here before about my method of removing the front retainer and rear ones on 400/4 and CB twins. Never fked one up yet, even though PO's had knadgered them a bit.
Not gonna buy one I will make one at work Matt... then if you ever need one you can have it as this will be the one and only 500 I will ever restore.
-
Just checked retainer PN 41231-323-020 on CMS NL and it looks like steel so original part and answered my own question !
-
they are l/h thread and may be staked, repro ones are available from silvers