Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: onethumb on December 09, 2015, 05:35:28 PM
-
Hi all, I'm in the process of a complete strip down so I can get all the bits that need doing powder coated, herein I've come across a bit of a pig. I've removed the one front disc but how do I get the speedo bit off the axle to remove the other disc?
I know I'm going to kick myself when I find out but for now I'm stumped and feeling a little stupid.
Thanks in advance
steve
-
Not done an F2, but if it's the same as the F1, then you'll find one end of the wheel spindle is a sleeve but. Remove that, the spindle is then free to be removed, freeing the disc and speedo drive.
Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk
-
yep thats correct you have to remove the sleeved nut and slide out the spindle,and speedo drive
pete
-
Hi gents and thanks for such fast reply's, I thought that was what it was but the sleeve is like its welded in. I've tried oil, heat and a hammer but its not budged! Any ideas?
-
Silly question, but are you using a suitable size spanner or socket on the sleeve, with a bar through the hole in the other end of the spindle to stop it rotating? It's just I have this nightmare vision that you're trying to force it out without unscrewing it?
-
Hi hairygit, no worries my friend I'm trying to undo it, no hole on my axle but a 22mm on the sleeve side and 16mm open ended spanner on the other, its not left handed is it?
Its in the garage with wd40 soaking in.
this is a top forum.
-
What i did with my stubborn one is to tighten the opposite side of spindle in the outside of the lower fork spindle clamp then with a decent spanner undo it, does that make sense
pete
-
No, it's normal right hand thread.
Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk
-
What i did with my stubborn one is to tighten the opposite side of spindle in the outside of the lower fork spindle clamp then with a decent spanner undo it, does that make sense
pete
It does thanks pete but forks have been removed and front suspension is at this moment in bits.
I'll leave it to soak overnight and try again tomorrow with a bit more heat.
Thanks again
tip top.
-
if it is really tight,put a bar through the hole in the end,and clamp in a BIG vice,
then use socket and LONG T bar to undo the nut,
good luck !!!
-
Success, couldn't have done it without you help or leave it half done. Thanks for the instruction, it gave me the confidence to go at it a bit harder.
It's been emotional 😎
All that's left is the oil tank and engine to remove, any tips?
-
Hope you noted which way round the nut came off as if you fit it backwards the wheel dont fit in the forks
-
Success, couldn't have done it without you help or leave it half done. Thanks for the instruction, it gave me the confidence to go at it a bit harder.
It's been emotional 😎
All that's left is the oil tank and engine to remove, any tips?
On removing the engine yes, take out most of the bolts, slacken the others, take the oil filter and carbs off, lay the bike on its side and remove the remaining fasteners, lift the frame off the engine, to put it back in reverse the process, it's much easier than trying to lift the engine out of the frame cos it's so bloody heavy!.
-
Hope you noted which way round the nut came off as if you fit it backwards the wheel dont fit in the forks
Oh yes, no worries there.
-
On removing the engine yes, take out most of the bolts, slacken the others, take the oil filter and carbs off, lay the bike on its side and remove the remaining fasteners, lift the frame off the engine, to put it back in reverse the process, it's much easier than trying to lift the engine out of the frame cos it's so bloody heavy!.
[/quote]
Thanks mark, I took a picture of UKpete off the site so I'm going to do it that way.
-
When removing the motor remove the bottom bolts first, they are the most difficult to remove and they are easier to get out without weight bearing on them.
Cheers
Dennis
-
When removing the motor remove the bottom bolts first, they are the most difficult to remove and they are easier to get out without weight bearing on them.
Cheers
Dennis
Cheers Dennis, nice one.
-
Here's a shortcut to a thread on the US site showing how to put a motor into a nice shiny frame, works a treat, and can be done the same to remove a motor as well.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,15321.msg159557.html#msg159557
Cheers
Dennis