Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: royhall on January 05, 2016, 03:37:37 PM

Title: Silvers pattern ignition coils
Post by: royhall on January 05, 2016, 03:37:37 PM
Got some replacement coils from DSS. Does it matter which way they are connected as the terminals have no identifying marks, and the cables (black & yellow) are separate patch cables. Cheers.
Title: Re: Silvers pattern ignition coils
Post by: Johnwebley on January 05, 2016, 04:48:00 PM
I fitted a set to my 500,

 tried both either way ,!!  didn't seem to make any difference,although I am running Boyer ignition,

ps,I did have one coil fail when getting warm,it had lasted about 15 months,

PPS,leave a plenty long plug leads,so you can use the coil 1-4 to run 2-3,and vice versa!,ideal for checking ignition problems
Title: Re: Silvers pattern ignition coils
Post by: mike the bike on January 05, 2016, 05:20:40 PM
It makes no difference.   The back EMF (spark) happens when the current suddenly stops flowing (the points open).  It doesn't matter which way the current was flowing, particularly as there is a spark plug both ends of the secondary winding.
Title: Re: Silvers pattern ignition coils
Post by: ST1100 on January 05, 2016, 06:09:18 PM
I did have one coil fail when getting warm,it had lasted about 15 months,
So you wouldn't vouch for their quality?
I've an identical set coming as the plug wires on my '76 are all hardened and cracking...
Title: Re: Silvers pattern ignition coils
Post by: Johnwebley on January 05, 2016, 07:02:45 PM
I did have one coil fail when getting warm,it had lasted about 15 months,
So you wouldn't vouch for their quality?
I've an identical set coming as the plug wires on my '76 are all hardened and cracking...


 well,only one gave problems,maybe it was a friday coil !!
they give big fat sparks,I would guess they are better than 40 year old originals
Title: Re: Silvers pattern ignition coils
Post by: Green1 on January 05, 2016, 09:20:02 PM
I have the same pattern coils that DSS sell but at a fraction off the price.
The cheap ones on eBay are exactly the same.
I paid just under £40 for the pair and the bike runs perfect.DSS ones are almost £40 each