Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Valentinik on January 07, 2016, 10:24:31 AM

Title: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: Valentinik on January 07, 2016, 10:24:31 AM
Hi, my names Mike, I'm from Tamworth (just outside Birmingham).

I've just placed a deposit on and hopefully go to collect a '77 CB550 Four at the weekend. My plan is to fully rebuild it and maybe go down the cafe racer style route. Ive never worked on a bike before and i don't have a license to ride one (which some people will no doubt find strange). However i've got a huge interest in anything mechanical.

This is a picture of the bike, as you can see its missing some parts like the carbs and the rockers and cover. The seller wants £300, which i thought was a pretty good deal?

(http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/cZwAAOSwEetV8fq9/$_12.JPG)

I bought the bike to learn about them as I've got no experience at all. I've since learnt that the forks are from a super dream. I'd planned on changing back to the spoked wheels anyway as I'm not a fan of the allow wheels. So it was good to learn the reason why it didn't have spoked wheels.


Here is also a picture of the westfield kit car I'm building which i will fit the bike build in around this:

(http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q739/S2-Roadster/Westfield/00559A2A-43A4-48ED-9BD1-BAED06C86F63_zpsu3rtzwci.jpg)

Mike
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: Johnwebley on January 07, 2016, 12:35:16 PM
welcome to the Forum,

 lots a friendly people here,lots of help and advice,

I know were Tamworth is,I used to visit the Reliant factory to collect new Robins etc !!


Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: Chris400F on January 07, 2016, 01:36:12 PM
Hi Mike, welcome from me too, not far away from you in Leicester.

Good luck with getting a bike license. I think things have changed a lot since the days when I took my test, when the key thing
was not to knock the examiner down (who was on foot) when he stepped out to make you do an emergency stop.

I have seen adaptor rings to fit to Comstar hubs to allow spoked rims to ne fitted.
They look interesting but are not cheap, but could be worth considering if you find you will have to swap forks etc to fit spoked wheels.
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: andut on January 07, 2016, 02:42:30 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome and good luck with both of your projects !  I'm also fairly new to Honda ownership and also have a westfield - believe it or not I find the bike a more practical option !

Andy
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: UK Pete on January 07, 2016, 05:09:41 PM
Hi Mike , welcome aboard fella
pete
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: mike the bike on January 07, 2016, 05:47:52 PM
Welcome Mike,  I look forward to seeing how the rebuild progresses.  Always plenty of expertise and experience,  usually learned the hard way, on here so just ask.
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: K2-K6 on January 07, 2016, 07:12:34 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the 550. The wheels and forks look like they maybe from cb650 to me which is what the 550 series evolved into.

What motor are you running in the Westfield? I went in a rover v8 propelled one a few years back which was quite brutal.
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: mick on January 07, 2016, 07:54:50 PM
Hi mike and welcome to the forum  ;) cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: Valentinik on January 07, 2016, 09:08:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome and information, i think i will look for a set of 550 forks and a rear hub, can anyone tell me that the standard size for a '77 cb550?

The westfield has got a 2litre duratec fitted with a turbo from an impreza wax running around 10psi. The power will be limited to around 230bhp with engine mapping though. As the engine is standard other than a modified sump.

Mike
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: Bryanj on January 08, 2016, 09:53:28 AM
The 550K3 has a different hub, brakeplate , spacers and swingarm to all the other 500/550
Title: Re: Hi from Tamworth.
Post by: onethumb on January 09, 2016, 05:25:17 PM
Welcome buddy. I never find bargains like that. Nice one.
Steve.