Honda-SOHC
General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Andrew-S on January 07, 2016, 02:34:12 PM
-
Hello all,
I'm new here, but was a biker in the 70s - early 80s and also turned my hand to Trials and Motocross. I had several bikes during that time from my first one in 1974 (SL125) to my last which was a Kawasaki Z750/4, which I dropped quite badly in 1984, so bowed to the pressure of my new'ish wife (Bev) and bought a car.......
However, for many years I've hankered after another bike, so being a little wiser, risk adverse and better insured I thought I would try to find the first 'big' bike I ever owned and which I also 'courted' Bev on (this bit is to appeal to her emotions!).
In June 1977 I traded in my Yamaha DT250 (pretty knackered after a number of enduro events) for a 1972 CB750/K1 with 7,469 miles on the clock for which I paid £695 (less £137 trade-in) from Bill Bunn Motorcycles, South Ealing W5. The registration number was JML 60K.
It would be nice to know if it survived and maybe have first refusal if was ever offered for sale - I checked the DVLA website and the road tax was last due on 1 June 1991, so it may be SORN'd but as the details are still listed by the DVLA it doesn't appear to have been scrapped. Is the owner or previous owners on here, or can anyone offer any advice on how to trace the current owner?
Here's a photo taken in June 1977 in Richmond Park soon after I bought it, and Bev's first ride out - I still have my original bill of sale, MOT and an invoice for a new camshaft (plus valve gear!) when it broke in two in April 1978......... the eagle eyed amongst you will notice it has chrome K2 headlight stanchions, not sure why?
JML 60K
(https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/734862_10205925308747045_3568584138339721912_n.jpg?oh=150b0d24d5cadc796e5cec308294c35b&oe=57444A53)
Grateful for any information.
Regards
Andrew
-
Hasnt got gaiters either so probably accident damage
-
Hasnt got gaiters either so probably accident damage
Yes, forgot to mention that - not sure about accident damage as the headlight was undamaged - thinking about it, those changes may well have been for cosmetic reasons to make it look a bit more modern?
Cheers
Andrew
-
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum ;) cheers Mick.
-
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum ;) cheers Mick.
Thanks for the welcome Mick - hopefully I'll be a bike owning member before too long.
Cheers
Andrew
-
Welcome from me too. Nice you have a photo of your old bike. So many of mine I don't, sadly have a picture of.
-
Welcome from me too. Nice you have a photo of your old bike. So many of mine I don't, sadly have a picture of.
Thanks for the welcome - I have a few old photos, here's one when I fitted a Rickman faring in 78 - mad really, as I could only move the handle bars about 2", so rubbish for riding slow in town, but great when going fast, or faster!
(https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12469397_10205926197529264_3462452778449222516_o.jpg)
Cheers
Andrew
-
After I posted on his Facebook page, I was contacted by the dealer (Bill Bunn MCs in Ealing) who sold me the Honda in June 1977 and he'd run an HPI check and it appears my old Honda 750 was written off in 1989.
So sadly that's that as I'm not interested in recreating it. :'(
Cheers
Andrew
-
Nice move from Bill Bunn though to contact you. I bought my old Triumph 5TA from there about 10 years ago - and when I came to pick it up hey spotted an oil leak from the pushrod tubes and wouldn't let me take the bike until they had replaced the tubes and seals - top service.
-
Bill, who must be in his 80s now, is a top bloke and I bought four bikes from him from 1973 - 1978 before I moved out of London down the M3: Honda SL125, Yamaha DT250, the CB750k1 and a Kawasaki Z750 twin.
When I finally decide what I'm doing next I'll call in on him.
Cheers
Andrew