Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on January 09, 2016, 09:29:49 PM
-
Got a lead on a NOS CB500K0 seat .... no pictures yet as the seller is away and 'separated' cover.. What's the going rate do you 500 gurus think on something like this? Obviously, need to see pics and make sure its actually a K0 one.
Quote from seller: "Hi Ash, the only NOS CB500K0 seat I have has separated on one of the seams, where they were glued together. An easy repair most likely as it just needs glueing back".
-
Not sure on price ash...but I would guess £100....ish..Well that's what I would pay for one that needs work I would pay more if I had a worse one to sell as they hold value too...
I bought a guillari (excuse spelling if wrong) for my 500 and paid what I thought was too much..at about 200 but I did get 120 for my old torn one so it made the perfect one cheap..
Saying that has the k0 one got all the fittings?...hinge and latch etc
Don't know if this post was any help...but it's always nice to get a reply even if someone says they can't help?
-
But you say NOS....so it will probably be at least double that...
-
Arriving tomorrow .. exorbitant amount of money nobody is even close ....but sh*t you can't take it with you .. even though it's damaged don't reckon I will ever find another one that easy. Just hope it's fixable... my history on seats is not good !!
-
Glue and seat do not go together.
Have a pair of NOS 500K0 ears that I am looking to swap for a NOS or very good set of 500K1's, if anyone has any ;)
-
Good luck with the seat ash...it's only money after all..
What are your plans for the other seat...
-
They ain't glued together from new and I'd of thought trying to glue any split would prove problematic, I'd want photos of the damage before parting with any dosh.
-
Graham have messaged you about the 500 K0 fork ears as I desperately need a pair...
-
Graham have messaged you about the 500 K0 fork ears as I desperately need a pair...
Just found it on the Phone.
Sent by my finger pressing the buttons on my £20 phone
-
Depends on your definition of 'glue'. They have advanced since 1971!
Dunno on the seat base / Japan-sourced cover and foam I already have on order .. will probably build up as a complete seat and compare the two. One thing I can tell you is the quilting on that NOS seat is unlike any used one I have seen or any repro cover. It's a bit like when you compare a Yamiya 750K0 seat with any of the other also-rans. Seat has all fittings, latch, hinge bracket rubbers (bar one) . I suppose they were always supplied by Honda as part of the seat ' assembly'
BTW just love that name 'toucheturtle'
-
Arrived today .. reckon I can fix it without too much hassle (or get a pro to do it) as its at the rear seam not the main cover. Anyhoo really glad I took a punt on it having seen it.
The guru in York on the CB500/4 (not on here but says he's got the best restored CB500 on the planet... and he has ... ask James if you don't believe me !) who advised James on the rarity of the bike and subsequently gave (giving) me loads of advice says hes got two NOS K1 seats but challenged me that I won't find a NOS K0 one. Well I love a challenge and I found one. Wallet is a bit lighter but there ya go!
Will pic it where I can find my camera that my daughter 'Tidied away'
-
Best restored is extremely subjective.
Agreed and everyman to his own. I was skeptical until he sent me the photos. I don't want to put pics of someone else's bike on here without their permission but if you PM me your email address I will send you them.
Here's a taster though!
[attachimg=1]
-
A very special, award winning bike.
-
Perhaps we should have an award for 'Ralph of the Month' God bless him :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Bet he's laughing his socks off at us up there .
Me I am just a sad old obsessive who just bought loads of 'JIS' screws and two sets of metal clad suppressor caps :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
-
Sorry Oddjob........but there is only one Ralph!........but I know what you mean......and thank God that we are all different or it would be a boring planet to live on.
Personally, I like to see bikes rebuilt as they were originally manufactured but at the same time I am happy to see the owners preferences with updates such as modern tyres, brake pads battery etc if the rider wants to feel safer or wants the bike to run better.......it's really a matter of personal choice.
In the 80's I had a lovely Triumph Stag and I joined the Owners Club......never socialised with my local club but the parts service was excellent. I did go along once to a Club Concours Event where a stunning ground up restoration was marked down by the Judges because the owner had 'Undersealed the floor and axles etc'........which was deemed as 'not being how the car left the factory'. Having spent about £20K on the work, I could fully appreciate that the owner wanted to protect his investment.........I didn't bother attending any more Stag events!
One of the best things about the sohc Forum is the fact that the diversity and experience of it's members not only recognises and applauds originality - i.e. where an owner sets out to reproduce an old machine exactly as it left the factory, but also provides huge support to people who want to create something a bit different.....i.e. the CR750, PRR and Sealey specials or the Bobbers, Cafe Racers which our members obligingly put photos of on the Forum.
Not being an 'Expert' on Honda machines, I also smile at some of the barbed comments about the 'originality and accuracy' of some machines which we spot for sale (usually at extraordinary asking prices) on E Bay etc, but again I am happy that our 'sohc Forum Experts' actually take them to task as they are just setting and maintaining the 'standard' - and I think that is a good place to be as it shows how much they care and how happy they are to share their knowledge.
-
That is a stunning looking restoration but I think the CB500KO UK model I sold last summer was as good, considering it was restored as a bike to be ridden. The new owner rides the bike regularly, in all weathers (well, maybe not today at only 1 degree and snowing !!!). Its all down to what the owner wants, do they want a bike to do what it was originally designed for, a form of transport or do they want a show winning ornament that gets trailered everywhere and wins trophies?.
I sold that bike for £9.250, it may never win any prizes, as probably will never be entered into a show but the new owner will definitely get his moneys worth in the way of pleasure and enjoyment he gets from owning and riding that bike.
-
Sooooooooory Ash, I have nicked your seat thread, or was that glue? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-
Ha ha I love this banter :-). Odddjob - are you sure you and Ralph weren't related :-). I completely respect all of the views expressed here. Honestly, each to his own and as long as there are more SOHC hondas's going back on the road I'm happy. James
-
In fact, I'm off now to take all of the original #8 bolts off of my 750 K0 and replace with allen cap screws...:-)...(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/2997415a1072b22f91faf81795d08a33.jpg)
-
Can you just pop those #8 bolts in the post to me James, seeing you no longer require them, I could do with them and you didn't buy me a house warming pressie, so they will do ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-
:-).
Yeah this photo was taken in the original owners garage 'as found'. I've pulled the fairing and rear rack, and gently cleaned the bike and that's eat. I'm leaving the recommission of this one until last. Just sharpening my file now ha ha..:-)
-
I must agree with oddjob on this one, 12 years ago everyone wanted allen bolts but, today the machine screw is back in fashion. I have built bikes that the customer wants to sit it in their front room and look at with OEM rims and OEM spokes. But, todays customer wants stainless rims and spokes for easy maintenance. The last bike I built on commission was for use on the road and not to sit and look at.
People are forgetting that the bike was invented as a form of cheap transport ;) ;)
-
'Kin hell ... i just got home from work to find my thread hijacked by the debating society.
You b*ggers should take my advice and buy a proper Vessel set of JIS screwdrivers and chuck yer Phillips ones away ;D ;D
Before I fit those shrouded caps I am going to set 'em up on a test rig and do what Nippon Denso should have done years ago. It's probably a matter of sealing. Here's how I funded them and made a load of dosh on top. I bought a load of NOS straight ones from DS's bargain bin at Stafford for cash at £2.50 each, I then sold them for £12.50 each and bought two new sets (including the cranked ones) off a guy in Germany. That's what restoration wheelin' and dealin' is all about.
The immaculate 500/4 was a UK bike used regularly by the restorer in the 70's & 80's as everyday transport then restored with loads of NOS parts, so to be fair to him he used it prior to restoration in all weathers.
Here are his words Ha Ha ........ I have attached some photos of my Honda, described by one of the Judges at Stafford in 2011 when I won best 70’s bike as, ‘The most outstanding restoration in the history of motorcycling ’Phew !"
Great banter on here and all tongue in cheek AFAIAC Great to have Julie & Trigger back contributing .
Found my camera so photoing the seat and bunging the pics in my restoration log.