Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Honda Al on January 23, 2016, 06:00:25 PM
-
Hi all,
I've put my bike back together and I went to road test it today. The bike starts fine and idles OK, but when I pull the clutch lever in and knock it down into first gear the bike stalls - as if the kick stand was down and the engine cuts out. The bike will start up again first time but will die when put into first gear.
I've read elsewhere on this site about clutch plates becoming stuck if not used for a period of time. The bike came from DK and I've no idea how long it may have been off the road.
Is it likely to be a sticking clutch problem? Has anyone any tips on how to deal with this? Any other ideas as to the cause?
Many thanks, Alan
-
Alan - could well be a stuck clutch pack. Does the bike try to lurch forward when you engage first or just 'die' without any lurch? I've had this before with bikes that have sat for a while and the clutch normally frees up eventually. Or it could well be something else. I'm not as familiar with the 500 clutch as the 750. I'm sure oddjob, trigger and the other 500 experts will chime in....
-
Thanks James.
It does lurch forward a little bit, but only barely. I didn't have much time to play around with it - the wife came home!
Alan
-
Get some space, run and warmup thee bike, and then 'paddle' to build up a bit of speed and engage first. Then pull in the clutch and apply the rear brake. Repeat. May free up.
-
What happens if you put the bike in gear without the engine running and try pushing it along with the clutch pulled in?
That should give you an idea of whether the clutch is disengaging or not.
If the plates aren't too badly stuck then rocking the bike backwards and forwards with the clutch pulled in may even free them.
-
I'll give both of those suggestions a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Thanks guys.
-
1, Plates stuck together
2, Needs new plates
3, Has a warped steel plate
4, Cable
5, Clutch push rod snapped
6, ball bearing has gone flat or a drive worm problem
Sometimes these old girls pates look fine but, a new set will do wonders. Sometimes you can just shuffle the plates about and it works wonders
-
There you go, knew Graham would chime in..:-).
-
If it has a centre stand put it on stand, start it in gear , pull in clutch lever and stand on rear brake. Be prepared that if it has been stood for a long time that the linings may detach from the shoes, always worth changing on an old bike
-
Thank you very much everyone. I used the tips from Bryan and everything works ok now.
Alan
-
Result, well done.
-
Searching through the forum for a problem with my CB350F stalling issues I came across this topic that solved the problem for me.
So thanks goes to Honda Al for the original post and Thanks goes to Bryan J who's advice I took and the bike is running nice again.
Just shows doing a search on a topic I have found on this forum 9 times out of 10 comes up with an answer.
I'm Just coming to the end of my first rebuild and it has to be said if this forum wasn't available I think the bike would be still sitting in the garage untouched.
Just need to sort out front brake caliper (rebuild), and off to get the bike MOT'D, and then registered. Will post some pictures when its all complete.