Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: paulbaker1954 on January 25, 2016, 12:00:31 PM

Title: Oil Pressure Switch and light - much confusion on my part!!
Post by: paulbaker1954 on January 25, 2016, 12:00:31 PM

Just rebuilding my 500 K0 1971 (USA model)and have come across an electrical problem.

On the bike currently there is a brass small pipe coming off the top of the oil pump which is connected eventually in to a small diameter plastic tube that leads along with two wires to the front of the bike.

The tube and the wires have been snipped off by someone so I am unclear what happens here. I assume the small pipe went in to a pressure switch somehwhere but I can't see a switch anywhere. I further assume the two wires went originally to the oil pressure light on the "idiot" display.

I am now however even further confused as I can't see anything resembling this on the Honda parts list, what I do see however is an oil pressure switch mounted on the oil pump where my current small bore brass pipe connection goes.

As always I am sure there is a simple explanation and hope a fellow owner can shed some light on what I need to do. Obviously haveing a functional oil pressure light is kind of important!!!!

Look forward to the replies
Title: Re: Oil Pressure Switch and light - much confusion on my part!!
Post by: totty on January 25, 2016, 12:17:28 PM
My guess is it once had a pressure gauge. You'll need a new pressure switch and to locate the correct wire for it.
Title: Re: Oil Pressure Switch and light - much confusion on my part!!
Post by: Bryanj on January 26, 2016, 06:15:14 AM
That description does not match any oil switch i have seen on any Honda so I would replace it with a known good one, DO NOT use a car one with the same thread as they operate at a different pressure