Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: dave400 on January 31, 2016, 04:29:57 PM

Title: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: dave400 on January 31, 2016, 04:29:57 PM
Has anybody got a photo of an original complete tool kit? I'm missing one or two bits and the parts diagram is a bit vague....cheers
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: Dave_Canada on March 01, 2016, 12:03:00 AM
The parts fiche shows all the tools. CMSNL.com parts search will show you the fiche. It's in "FRAME GROUP 1G,1H,2G,2H".
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: ted_paper on March 01, 2016, 11:58:06 AM
DS has a photo on his site.
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: dave400 on March 01, 2016, 05:48:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, anybody got an original tool kit? What colour is the screwdriver handle?....cheers
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: tom400f on March 07, 2016, 07:40:39 PM
Sorry for the delay Dave, been meaning to get this done for you. Here's mine, I believe original. Screwdriver handle is black.
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: dave400 on March 07, 2016, 08:14:13 PM
Sorry for the delay Dave, been meaning to get this done for you. Here's mine, I believe original. Screwdriver handle is black.

Thanks For the photo Tom, I'm just putting a tool kit together for my bike but I'm sure the screwdriver handle the bike had when I bought it in 1980 was a maroon'ish colour. I'm thinking the black ones (I have one of both now) are a more modern replacement. The maroon one seems to be made a bit better to me....Cheers Dave
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: paul G on March 08, 2016, 12:44:03 PM
Did the original have a spoke key !!
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: dave400 on March 26, 2016, 09:14:47 PM
Did the original have a spoke key !!

I never got one in the tool kit that came with my bike, but I have one now. I don't use the spoke wheels I found some cast wheels to use, Honda missed a trick not fitting them from the factory I think....cheers
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: Nurse Julie on March 26, 2016, 09:58:55 PM
Sorry for the delay Dave, been meaning to get this done for you. Here's mine, I believe original. Screwdriver handle is black.

Gosh Tom, those tools are very, very clean, have you ever used any of them?
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: tom400f on March 27, 2016, 08:50:12 PM
Hi Julie

I've used the plug spanner and the tommy bar next to it but nothing else. As to the screwdriver handle, it seems a bit light for a period when everything hadn't yet become shite and whether I'd like to put a lot of torque through it I'm not sure.


Back in the day I suffered a puncture and rapid deflation of the rear while doing about 65 up the A11 somewhere near Newmarket. I was going to Norwich to see the football and expecting to meet others there. It was Easter Monday as it happened, so how likely would it be to find somewhere open?

Avec standard toolkit I took the wheel out and started to plod back down the road, knowing I'd passed some petrol stations on various roundabouts. A friend of my brother's saw the bike and thought "Tom's got a bike like that (varnish blue 400F)..." then he saw me carrying the wheel and waited at said petrol station. As I walked over the centre of the roundabout I thought who's that plonker grinning at me?

He got his AA gazetteer out and looked up a place in Cambridge. Took me there in his car and blow me it was open. Fitted a new tube and bunged the tyre back on, then back to the bike. Refitted the wheel and off I went. Gave up on the match by then so went up the A1065 to Swaffham (my family home at the time) only to be diverted round the back of RAF Lakenheath because of a load of anti-nuke protesters or something.

That toolkit is not half bad... got me out of a spot of bother!! :)
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: Nurse Julie on March 27, 2016, 09:07:14 PM
It certainly sounds like it earned it's place under the seat for you that day Tom. I haven't got a tool kit on my 400/4 and to be quite honest if she did break down I would have to call someone who would know what to do or call the AA and get her taken home. My tool tray is full of other more relevant girlie items, hairbrush, lipstick, carrier bag...blablabla  ::) ::) ::) ::)
Title: Re: 400/4 Tool Kit
Post by: mike the bike on March 27, 2016, 11:29:08 PM
I keep some butt search gloves in with my tool kit in case I get my hands oily and there's no grass/newspaper/dog handy.