Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: MaximoGF on February 07, 2016, 02:19:12 PM

Title: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: MaximoGF on February 07, 2016, 02:19:12 PM
Hi guys

Just got myself a 1976 CB550 F Super Sport, imported from the States. Don't know the last time it was started, could be 20 years for all I know. I am hoping to cafe/brat it up a little but before I do i obviously need to get it going.

My thoughts? Carb clean, new spark plugs, fresh oil & filter, battery and fuel of course.

The ignition barrel looks like it needs changing plus I have no key anyway also there is no gear change lever.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts and wether I am anywhere near the mark? I am a complete novice by the way.

Thanks in advance
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: ST1100 on February 07, 2016, 02:24:25 PM
Definitely valve and points adjustment.
Probably sticking advancer too.
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: hairygit on February 07, 2016, 02:29:13 PM
New air filter is always a good idea. Also, after changing the oil and filter, leave the spark plugs out, and wind the engine over in the starter or kickstart until the oil light goes out, then put the plugs in and try starting it. Don't forget to have a good look at the debris in the old oil (strain it through an old sieve) it will give you clues as to anything drastically wrong inside, such as damaged gears etc. Good luck!

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: MaximoGF on February 07, 2016, 02:35:18 PM
Air filter, good call forgot about that. About the points; do u think it's worth fitting an electronic ignition system from the off? Like the Dyna-s?
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: Chris400F on February 07, 2016, 02:41:22 PM
My 400 hadn't been used too much before I got it. I took the sump off and there was a fair amount of accumulated sludge at the bottom, which may have stayed there or may have mixed with the fresh oil if I hadn't cleaned it all out.
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: hairygit on February 07, 2016, 02:54:41 PM
Personally I have never trusted ele tronic ignition, I prefer the simplicity and reliability of points. But, there are many in here who are quite happy with electronic ignition, just an added ( and expensive ) complication to me.

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: matthewmosse on February 07, 2016, 03:30:58 PM
For most of my cb500/4 milage I found points to be very reliable and very rarely in need of attention. But the last couple of years I had a few issues, went over to electronic,  not much better so problems most likely down to my bunging cb550k3 carbs in there as they get better economy but are more fussy to run too.
I also would think drop sump and clean out after dropping the oil. It costs nothing more than your time, and given some of the gunk or detritus found in sumps over the years it would seem a wise idea to sneak a look in there.
Title: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: JamesH on February 07, 2016, 03:46:45 PM
Do all of the above. Worth investing in a remote fuel reservoir:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331525048641

At least you know then you have fresh / clean fuel feeding your nice clean carbs. And gives you easy access to adjust carbs / visually see / access the engine etc..

I normally lightly file the points with fine wet and dry (800 grit) and wd 40. I always fit new spark plugs and ht lead caps as they're so cheap and takes the ignition out of the equation. Cut back the leads a few mm so you know the new ht cap contact is onto nice non-oxidised core metal in the ht lead.

With the plugs out, check each of the 4 spark plug leads with a known good plug ground against the engine (visually check for a spark - easier in low light conditions). I also spray a little wd40 / lubricant (even a little neat diesel / engine oil) in each of the plug holes to help ease the rings back into service / avoid any piston / bore damage from lack of lubricant.

These old girls almost always start after a long slumber...go for it.
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: MaximoGF on February 07, 2016, 04:31:46 PM
Excellent, really appreciate the advice! I will keep u posted on the progress 😀
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: Bryanj on February 08, 2016, 06:50:56 AM
With the plugs out and oil in turn over with the rocker caps off till you can see oil appear at the top end
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: MaximoGF on February 09, 2016, 07:33:54 PM
Epic battle getting the carbs out! Finally managed it, think I am going to have to replace the four rubbers that attach it to the engine side, they are solid!

Anyone know what they are called so I can google them?
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: Chris400F on February 09, 2016, 10:15:15 PM
DS calls them Inlet Manifold Rubbers.
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB550F1-SUPER-SPORT-1976/part_144346/
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB550F1-SUPER-SPORT-1976/part_5005/
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: ST1100 on February 10, 2016, 01:28:08 PM
I know them as carb isolators or "carb boots"...

BTW when doing the valve adjustment, repeat it after cranking the engine (i.e. with a car battery aside), then again, and again...
My 500K2 was grounded for like a decade, thus some corrosion on seats/sealing surfaces (at first compression test was very unequal...)...
So every time I'd let the starter spin the engine a couple of times, the valve clearances narrowed again as the debris wore off...
Took like 5~6 runs of adjusting/spinning till it settled... (and compression got equal...)

And it fired after the 3rd "blip" on the starter button... it literally took only "blips"...
Title: Re: To do before start up attempt?
Post by: Chris400F on February 10, 2016, 04:35:32 PM
Or there are these, which come complete with new clamps:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/76-77-Honda-CB550F-Carb-Intake-Set-4-Intake-8-Clamps-CI-CB550FINBT-/261245538542?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368