Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Tricks & Tips => Topic started by: Drew400 on March 15, 2016, 05:26:16 PM

Title: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Drew400 on March 15, 2016, 05:26:16 PM
Apologies to all of the experts out there who probably know this already, but for any others like me who'd forgotten...

A useful way to catch and then decant old engine oil is care of a large hole cut into the side of a 5L plastic bottle. Once engine emptied, unscrew the top and pour into your recycling receptacle.

Cheers all, D.

Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Chris400F on March 15, 2016, 06:50:42 PM
Yes, and the plastic ones are much easier to cut a hole in than the old tin ones (for people who remember those).
Plus you don't have to fold cut edges over to avoid having a hole surrounded by razor blades!
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Drew400 on March 15, 2016, 07:13:07 PM
Ha ha, indeed not!

D.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: tom400f on March 15, 2016, 07:49:23 PM
That's exactly what I've done Drew. Prefer the challenge of lining up the smaller aperture I've cut in mine and waiting to see how accurate I am as the drain plug comes out.

Somehow I always manage to spill a load of it at some stage of the process...
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Drew400 on March 15, 2016, 08:03:15 PM
Yup, familiar with that target challenge!

D.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: ST1100 on March 15, 2016, 08:57:30 PM
Yes, and the plastic ones are much easier to cut a hole in than the old tin ones (for people who remember those).
LOL! I hoard spare petrol in one of those green, steel ones  8)

For the spilling I use of of these:
https://www.louis.at/en/artikel/mehrzweckwanne-6-liter-oel-und-saeurefest/10003619?list=153018572&filter_article_number=10003619
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 16, 2016, 09:13:59 AM
+1 That's what I do. Do you remember the £1 prize money 'tips& tricks' they had in MCM 'Motorcycle Maniacs' in the 60's & 70's ... Like sharpening a scrap valve stem  as a centre punch or Plasticine and a funnel around a control cable to oil it. Will have to dig one or two copies out and post them on here. Seem to remember some were hilarious penny pinching pieces of stinginess and skulduggery. Like chopping the top bit off a 5A round pin plug brass terminal ..the bit with the screw in and using it as a 'get-you-home' cable repair  ;D ;D
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: florence on March 16, 2016, 09:44:10 AM
Don't put the oil in the recycling, such a waste, use it on your motorbike frame as a cleaner and rust preventer, sieve it and put it in an oil can for general lubricating.  Old oil is also great for lighting bonfires, painting on fence posts, rescuing rusted farm implements, the list is almost endless....
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: tom400f on March 16, 2016, 10:38:57 AM
Ash: that plasticine idea was total rubbish though :)

Florence: you don't need many bikes to soon build up a refinery's worth of oil :)
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 16, 2016, 11:39:06 AM
Ash: that plasticine idea was total rubbish though :)

Florence: you don't need many bikes to soon build up a refinery's worth of oil :)

Loads of the tips & tricks  were rubbish ...and literally made from rubbish  :)
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: florence on March 16, 2016, 11:44:09 AM
I seem to 'recycle' it pretty fast  :) besides, it's a real pain to take to the recycling place, it's miles away and has very eccentric opening hours. Collections here are bottles and cans only so we are used to making do.

I'm wondering now if I filter very carefully I could put it in my Scottoiler ....
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 16, 2016, 12:43:09 PM
I've used old engine oil to oil the chain on my Tiger, but I don't think I'd put it in the oiler!
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Chris400F on March 16, 2016, 02:53:00 PM
From a quick look at their web site they do this tool with thread sizes from M12 x 1.25 up to M26 x 2.0 and more besides, so should just be a case of getting the correct one.
Personally I think I'll save the money and stick to a conventional drain plug, and try and get the oil through the hole in the pot!
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: mike the bike on March 16, 2016, 04:00:06 PM
When I worked in the Corona soft drinks factory, me and another bloke took our bikes over to the waste ground every Friday and dumped the engine oil, refilling it with fresh oil intended for fork lift trucks.  After a while what drained out was the same colour as what went in.  Happy days.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: florence on March 16, 2016, 04:31:01 PM
I've used old engine oil to oil the chain on my Tiger, but I don't think I'd put it in the oiler!

The skinflint part of me wanted to put it in the chainsaw but I had to stop myself  :)
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 23, 2016, 04:00:49 PM
He goes ..... enjoy ... Where's that old tennis ball ?  ;D ;D Sorry about quality ..it's a photo of the page from 1970  :)


[attachimg=1]

Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 23, 2016, 04:04:42 PM
Gems.

Every one...
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Chris400F on March 23, 2016, 04:39:08 PM
The "What's Cooking" entry reminds me of when I had a CB450 Black Bomber, around 1979, which I was trying to get back on the road.
For some reason the spark plugs were not fitted. I dropped a screw from one of the handlebar switches, you can guess where a certain law says it went.
What are the chances of that? Bet I couldn't do it again ....
And yes, my brother and I did turn the bike upside down and shook it until the screw dropped out.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 23, 2016, 05:06:43 PM
We have those long bendy magnetic things for that nowadays.

I'll bet there's a "tip" in some ancient magazine that suggests sticking a magnet onto a pipecleaner for when you drop a screw down the spark plug hole...
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Drew400 on March 23, 2016, 05:31:58 PM
Chris,

Surely it would have been easier just to start the bike and fire the screw out of the exhaust pipe... perhaps at a dartboard placed behind the bike for that very purpose?

Could be the start of another great new auto-based Saturday night TV game show!

D.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: ST1100 on March 23, 2016, 07:06:40 PM
Gems.
Every one...
Agreed wholeheartedly...
Sad that decent craftsman skills and tips fall into oblivion...
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: florence on March 24, 2016, 08:35:52 AM
I love this, thanks so much for sharing it Ash, such a delight and certainly useful, I do indeed have a head lamp with a corroded reflector on my 350; it's good to know that it will sail through the MOT with the application of a little flour and water paste and the inside of a sardine can.

I am feeling ashamed to admit that I actually do have a tool box under the seat of my 500 which I fashioned from an old Lavazza coffee tin.  It sits where the air filter used to go and my Scottoiler is bolted to the back of it.  Blast, before this article I thought modifications like that were normal but now I realise I am stuck in the 1950's!

Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 24, 2016, 10:58:30 AM
Ha Ha Glad you all liked them ...will dig out some more & copy !


cheers ..Ash
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: florence on March 24, 2016, 11:14:19 AM
please do, they are pure gold.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Drew400 on March 24, 2016, 11:22:26 AM
Here here Ash, thank you.

It's great to see a little post create a useful thread. Wow this is a good forum!

Cheers all,

D.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 24, 2016, 11:29:44 PM
Here goes again .. sorry for quality..

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Johnwebley on March 27, 2016, 07:34:48 PM


   just had sunday dinner,

 stuffed duck from Aldi,not ony did it taste great,but it came in a great alloy container,

 approx size 12" x  7"  x  4"

 perfect for parts,or catch tray for old brit bikes,

 obviously sohc don't need them !!!
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Green1 on March 27, 2016, 07:47:53 PM
I see your posts are still food related John  ;D

Mick
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Johnwebley on March 27, 2016, 08:18:59 PM
I see your posts are still food related John  ;D

Mick


 of course,I enjoy eating as much as the Honda,

 I still remember fondly the breakfast bap at Sammy Millers last summer,


Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Green1 on March 27, 2016, 08:27:59 PM
Stop it I havn't eaten yet.  :(

Today I made a baffle out of a steel broom handle for a CG125 as it was the perfect size.I was tempted to leave the brush on the end. ;D

Mick
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Aly-b on March 27, 2016, 08:43:14 PM

Just goes to show that the old saying is true "necessity is the mother of invention" :)
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: ST1100 on March 28, 2016, 06:37:33 PM
stuffed duck from Aldi,not ony did it taste great,but it came in a great alloy container, approx size 12" x  7"  x  4" perfect for parts...
LOL!  ;D
I select spread by the usability of the containers... like securing small carburettor parts, etc...
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: florence on April 06, 2016, 11:53:05 AM
......and here is how to use that wasted space under the seat when the original and unfashionable air -box is removed and replaced with go-faster individual air filter units.

An old coffee tin makes a perfect toolbox with handy attachment point for the Scottoiler, a simply brilliant device keeping chain healthy in all weathers.
 
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: mike the bike on April 06, 2016, 04:59:33 PM
I hope that's a before photo
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: K2-K6 on April 06, 2016, 09:49:32 PM
Some years ago a friend crashed his GT750 Suzuki and damaged the igniting\trashed the cover on the end of the crankcase (there was three on board all wearing army great coats and no helmets and driving between partys with no alcohol involved, not a drop m'lud) got me to pick it up the next morning, we got it going again and he put a large industrial sized coffee tin on the cases to cover the igniting and it stayed like that for another year of use.

On the original topic, I use stainless steel bowls from kitchen kit to drain the oil onto as you can see when you get them into sunlight any bits that shouldn't be in the oil after you tip out the old oil you can really get a good look at the film of oil left to see any specular highlights remaining. Works especially well on diff and gearbox oils for cars as well. I've only bought them from car boot sales for next to nothingness.

Extending that, I buy also those old stainless trays for serving food at 70's parties with the little compartments to use when stripping something out as you can keep all the components separate and in some sort of sequence if you want.
A bit Abigail's party I guess If anyone saw that as a reference.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Drew400 on April 06, 2016, 09:57:13 PM
Quality tipstering, thank you!

D.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: Johnwebley on April 06, 2016, 10:12:58 PM


  well Abigals party was very 70's !!

  just like sohc's !!!
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: florence on April 06, 2016, 11:08:18 PM
I hope that's a before photo

ha ha, of course it's an after picture, I'm not into restoration.
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: K2-K6 on April 06, 2016, 11:30:33 PM
I didn't spot the similar eras in that johnwebley.

It does make the peanuts, cheesy nibbles and pineapple with cheese cubes taste a bit of EP90 \ stale petrol at social gatherings though :)
Title: Re: Oil Change Vessel
Post by: matthewmosse on April 07, 2016, 08:27:57 PM
I've used old engine oil to oil the chain on my Tiger, but I don't think I'd put it in the oiler!

The skinflint part of me wanted to put it in the chainsaw but I had to stop myself  :)
I must shamefully admitt to using old engine oil in the chainsaw as chain lube, cut 50/50 with chain lube it is ok, streight waste 10/40w oil however seems too thin as I kept needing to tighten the chain. ( although this was on an 18" bar and that seems to need more tensioning than my 15" one anyway