Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: TwiggsiiieS on March 21, 2016, 03:03:05 PM
-
Can anyone tell me if this seal can be replaced without splitting the crankcase, its the one behind the front chain sprocket.
The schematic seem to show a locating pin on the top. Seems like this could be common problem but I can't find any threads, so sorry if I've missed it and thanks in advance. Its a 1978 400f
-
Hi....check out the recent post from Roy Hall......I'm sure that he had a problem with a seal on his 350F, but managed to replace it without any drama.
Not sure if it's the same seal as yours.....but it might well be.
Good luck anyway.
-
I was thinking about Roy's thread too (http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,9636.0.html) but it was for a different seal.
Might be the same principle though, worth a read.
-
Proper location of the peg is vital to bearing life so you have to split the cases mate sorry
-
Thanks all, have only just got the bike and want to ride it a bit( well alot) before I pull it to bits. Yes Royhalls thread is very smilar but different seal. I will re read the whole thread again. Dont know how to go back to it while replying but i remember someone mentioning "opening the crankcase a tadge" is this doable in situ?I think I will buy a seal just to what it looks like.
-
Cant split cases in situ, always worth freeing off cam chain tensioner when apart
-
Yep makes sense you want to reseal everything, it just gonna have to leak for the season and will sort next winter.
There's about four drips when if first stops. I can live with that.
I have a sinking feeling that the end of the counter shaft may be damaged, will have to wait and see!
Thanks,
Steve