Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: paulbaker1954 on March 29, 2016, 11:16:10 AM

Title: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: paulbaker1954 on March 29, 2016, 11:16:10 AM
Finished and running, not concours but budget was limited.

Fully rebuilt engine (original was badly seized) with new pistons and rings, new big end bearings (Mains were fine), all new oil seals.

Full carb rebuild with all new O rings

New CMSNL pipes.

Frame repainted.

New DID chain and sprocket

Lots of other new bits (LH switchgear, Rebuilt master cylinder..............)


Now for Registration/MOT and Summer fun  :) :)
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: hairygit on March 29, 2016, 11:28:58 AM
Looking good, the only thing I would change is those hideous American spec handlebars. The much lower European bars make it far better to ride at any sort of speed/distance!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: Johnwebley on March 29, 2016, 11:39:51 AM
it does look good,


  go out and ride it,enjoy it

 and show the world
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: Aly-b on March 29, 2016, 01:03:48 PM
Very nice indeed,well done. 8)
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: GiannisFour on March 29, 2016, 01:45:13 PM
Nice!!! My congrats!!!
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: JamesH on March 29, 2016, 02:05:20 PM
Looks awesome to me - great job & well done.
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: ST1100 on March 29, 2016, 02:18:45 PM
Nice!

5 months?... so you are a retired zillionaire with a workbench right in your living-room, right?  ;)
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 29, 2016, 03:12:40 PM
Top work mate ..puts me to shame :-[

Personally I would keep the bars if its a USA bike but personal preference I suppose.
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: Sgt.Pinback on March 29, 2016, 03:15:26 PM
Brown is great. Nice bike!
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: Nurse Julie on March 29, 2016, 03:28:06 PM
I like that, it looks really nice.
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: MCTID on March 29, 2016, 04:28:21 PM
Brilliant.

Another fine old Warrior back on the road........well done and thanks for sharing your photees.........now back to the garage for me and get on with my Project(s)........suitable inspired by your lovely bike.  LOL.
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: Moorey on March 29, 2016, 04:30:23 PM
I too would keep the American spec bars its a American bike. I have done on  my 750f1 and its a pleasure to ride. Also kept the indicators American spec.  :)
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: matthewmosse on March 29, 2016, 04:49:49 PM
Looking good! 5 months is a decent turnaround, I geuss you don't have 2 small kids underfoot... Nice results there.
Regards the bars, ride with em, if they feel right, why swap, if not, worth experimenting with moving them in the mounts a bit, I think my 500 and 550 had a similar style of thing, but I used to happily do 500 miles in a day on a semi regular basis for a fair few years, only time I found the m awkward was when I did some work on the bike and set them too low - close to my knees, cranked back up they were fine.
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: JamesH on March 29, 2016, 04:53:56 PM
I'm biased, because all of my bikes are US imports but i have to agree I'd keep the bars as-is. The riding position in my opinion is fine. If they were Ape Hangers, then I'd change them..
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: Drew400 on March 29, 2016, 06:15:54 PM
Great work Paul.

Love the existential message using the big blue bin... recycling, yup we get it!

Cheers,

D.
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: paulbaker1954 on March 31, 2016, 12:51:48 PM
Wasn't a subliminal recycling message but nice comment !!

Was it you that bought the Phil Read rep that was on ebay recently - it did look reallllly nice  :)
Title: Re: Finished My Project after 5 Months !!
Post by: wolfheze on March 31, 2016, 01:36:03 PM
Looks nice  ;)