Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: royhall on March 31, 2016, 07:19:13 AM

Title: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: royhall on March 31, 2016, 07:19:13 AM
I am looking at setting up a home BZP plating facility.

That said I have no idea whatsoever how to go about it or what is needed. I know a few of you on here do your own plating so if anybody can point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.

I have seen a few starter kits on eBay and the like, but have no idea if these are good value or if anything is missing. Most of these kits appear use a car battery charger as the power source. I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound like the best way to go.

Any ideas anyone. Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 31, 2016, 07:32:08 AM
I have a simple to make design for a constant current source (made one for Trigger Dunno if he's used it yet)

BUT it's a lot of faffing about even with cheap chemicals for Gateros Plating (nice people).. .. I reserve it for awkward items now,  like the fittings on CB750 oil hoses etc as it's cheaper and a  superior finish definitely, to have it done professionally. I can really recommend Allenchrome in Pocklington East Yorkshire  for that. For the cost of a batch of chemicals you can probably have a whole bikes worth plated and the finish is superb. I strip old plating with my magic brew (alkaline strip not acid). Search for previous post.

Bit of delay on the Turner book Roy, as the guy I lent it to is on holiday this weeks, so will be next week before I can post it off.

http://www.allenchrome.co.uk/
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: Orcade-Ian on March 31, 2016, 05:31:05 PM
Hi Roy,
I do my own plating with a Gateros kit and most of their chemicals and as Ash says they are really good folk.  However, like you I was not keen on using a battery charger and preferred a bit more control.  I happen to have a stabilised power supply with variable current and voltage,bought s/h from fleabay years ago and it's also great for bringing SOME batteries back from an apparent death.  Good for 'kickstarting' very flat nicads which don't respond to the so called intelligent chargers.
Back to the plating, as with any finishing process, good prep is the key to success - cut corners and you will regret it.
I wrote an article in 'Tansha' the VJMC mag and Gateros have used it on their site.
I have no connection with the company, other than being a very satisfied customer.

I am slightly paranoid about losing irreplaceable small parts so really prefer to do my own stuff wherever I can and living in the beautiful Orkney Isles often incurs high courier costs.

Ian
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: JamesH on March 31, 2016, 06:33:44 PM
Hi Ian - what's the spec on your power supply?
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: Orcade-Ian on March 31, 2016, 07:38:51 PM
Hi,
The power supply I use is labelled Isotech and has variable voltage from 0 to 30 volts and current from 0 to 2 amps.  There is a high / low push button toggle between 2 amps and 1 amp.

With the plating setup as described by Gateros the voltage settles to about 1 volt and the current is then variable between min and max but if I was plating say, half a dozen 8mm by 30mm bolts, I would set the current to about 0.5 amps.

There is a similar but new unit on eBay at the moment:

Item number 121927323205

Ian



Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: kent400 on March 31, 2016, 08:36:48 PM
UK Pete wrote a great post on the subject back in 2012, suggest what's well worth a read assuming you have not already done so. A quick search and it will pop up.

I also re-zinc small parts, mainly gauge bases and suggest a power supply is essential. Mine is a Fusion 200W purchased on ebay. As Ash points out it's a time-consuming process, everything put in the plating bath has to be absolutely clean, surgically clean to get good results
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 31, 2016, 10:05:32 PM
I use a Thurlby Thandar (TTi) PL320 dual supply .. see pic belw . The main feature you are looking for is variable constant current feature. Nice PSU but old if you can get one on eBay


I plated loads of stuff for my 750K0 at home but I don't think it is wearing up as well as the stuff that's professionally barrel or dip plated. There are a few rare parts I won't let out of my sight to someone else to do but generally better with pro gear. Problem is that they have massive baths and the stability of the chemicals remains constant but home baths can change properties and need loads on maintenance. It's a bit like the guy told me it's like frying your fish in a little deep fat fryer compared with the range used in a chip shop  .. hard to get the same consistent results. If I lived on Orkney as Ian does, different story though and I don't blame him for doing it himself. You have to get everything MEGA clean and grease free though.

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 31, 2016, 10:35:33 PM
Here are some 'awkward' parts to plate which I did myself.

Before some wise guy chips in  ;D ;D ..... Yea I know the seat latch pull bracket should be black not BZP

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: royhall on April 01, 2016, 09:18:02 AM
Hi,
The power supply I use is labelled Isotech and has variable voltage from 0 to 30 volts and current from 0 to 2 amps.  There is a high / low push button toggle between 2 amps and 1 amp.

With the plating setup as described by Gateros the voltage settles to about 1 volt and the current is then variable between min and max but if I was plating say, half a dozen 8mm by 30mm bolts, I would set the current to about 0.5 amps.

There is a similar but new unit on eBay at the moment:

Item number 121927323205

Ian
Have put that power supply into my eBay watch list as they have quite a few, looks a better option than a car battery charger. Will have a look at the Gateros thing at the Stafford Show (if they are there).

Ash. No rush for the book, whenever its ready. Thanks.

I'm looking at doing my own plating as I'm building a Bitsa Special and I need to plate things as they come up. I don't have a batch I can send off together, and the lead times for sending little bits at a time would mean the bike gets finished around 2019. ;D
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: Orcade-Ian on April 01, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
2019 - heck, that's quick work Roy. I had this 'Scottish' 400/4 gifted to me as a bag o' bits in 2001 or 2, It's tax exempt from TODAY and still not finished!
The Isotech power unit also appears under different names, my number is Iso 302 (30V and 2A) but a newer version appears as 303 with a 3 amp capability.  Mine's over 20 years old now.
Ian
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 01, 2016, 11:13:17 AM
Just watch out for this one as the place I work at part time has a couple and the quality is Sh*te IMHO

http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/rapid-hy3002-3-triple-output-bench-psu-led-2x0-30v-0-2a-1x-5v-3a-85-1921

This one is like mine ...old but well made

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-PL320-30v-2a-120w-twin-channel-linear-power-supply-bench-test-equipment-/331814037675?hash=item4d41a868ab:g:seoAAOSwBnVW9tOf
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: royhall on April 01, 2016, 12:50:52 PM
2019 - heck, that's quick work Roy. I had this 'Scottish' 400/4 gifted to me as a bag o' bits in 2001 or 2, It's tax exempt from TODAY and still not finished!
The Isotech power unit also appears under different names, my number is Iso 302 (30V and 2A) but a newer version appears as 303 with a 3 amp capability.  Mine's over 20 years old now.
Ian
Think I can top that Ian. This Bitsa project I'm doing now was started as a college project 22 years ago. Thought  I really should finish it before the quarter century is up in 2019. ;D
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: royhall on April 01, 2016, 12:52:58 PM
Just watch out for this one as the place I work at part time has a couple and the quality is Sh*te IMHO

http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/rapid-hy3002-3-triple-output-bench-psu-led-2x0-30v-0-2a-1x-5v-3a-85-1921 (http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/rapid-hy3002-3-triple-output-bench-psu-led-2x0-30v-0-2a-1x-5v-3a-85-1921)

This one is like mine ...old but well made

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-PL320-30v-2a-120w-twin-channel-linear-power-supply-bench-test-equipment-/331814037675?hash=item4d41a868ab:g:seoAAOSwBnVW9tOf (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-PL320-30v-2a-120w-twin-channel-linear-power-supply-bench-test-equipment-/331814037675?hash=item4d41a868ab:g:seoAAOSwBnVW9tOf)
Ash. What do you think about the PSU in Ian's post. Worth buying?
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 01, 2016, 01:54:28 PM
Just watch out for this one as the place I work at part time has a couple and the quality is Sh*te IMHO

http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/rapid-hy3002-3-triple-output-bench-psu-led-2x0-30v-0-2a-1x-5v-3a-85-1921 (http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/rapid-hy3002-3-triple-output-bench-psu-led-2x0-30v-0-2a-1x-5v-3a-85-1921)

This one is like mine ...old but well made

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-PL320-30v-2a-120w-twin-channel-linear-power-supply-bench-test-equipment-/331814037675?hash=item4d41a868ab:g:seoAAOSwBnVW9tOf (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-PL320-30v-2a-120w-twin-channel-linear-power-supply-bench-test-equipment-/331814037675?hash=item4d41a868ab:g:seoAAOSwBnVW9tOf)
Ash. What do you think about the PSU in Ian's post. Worth buying?

Not familiar with it Roy but if Ian's using it it should be OK  ;D
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 02, 2016, 11:16:34 AM
If Roy or anyone wants a circuit for using an old laptop or PC monitor power supply to provide an adjustable current limiting source suitable for home plating then I will post it on here it's based on an LM338 voltage regulator device setup in constant-current mode. I have three of these LM338 devices going spare to first takers for nothing.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm138.pdf

The neat thing about this is that it weighs next to nothing and takes up very little space.

The contraption   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ with it used a small motor and carbon brush off a washing machine to rotate the part in the electrolyte to give uniform 'throwing- power' in the plating bath.

[attachimg=1]

Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: royhall on April 04, 2016, 07:13:30 AM
If Roy or anyone wants a circuit for using an old laptop or PC monitor power supply to provide an adjustable current limiting source suitable for home plating then I will post it on here it's based on an LM338 voltage regulator device setup in constant-current mode. I have three of these devices going spare to first takers for nothing.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm138.pdf (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm138.pdf)

The neat thing about this is that it weighs next to nothing and takes up very little space.

The contraption   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ with it used a small motor and carbon brush off a washing machine to rotate the part in the electrolyte to give uniform 'throwing- power' in the plating bath.

(Attachment Link)
WOW!! ??? 8)
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: Trigger on April 04, 2016, 08:52:41 AM
I have one of Ash's plating contraptions which is still in the box, never got round to using it as Ash said, it is much easier to leave it to the professionals, unless you are only doing one off parts. You also must be careful not to have any chrome or nice paint, as the vapour from the chemicals does nasty things to anything near by.
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 05, 2016, 07:45:11 AM
I have one of Ash's plating contraptions which is still in the box, never got round to using it as Ash said, it is much easier to leave it to the professionals, unless you are only doing one off parts. You also must be careful not to have any chrome or nice paint, as the vapour from the chemicals does nasty things to anything near by.

Shame on you for not trying it out Graham  ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW the worst vapour for corrosion is if you use Hydrochloric acid (brick cleaner) to strip BZP. Thats why I use my Alkaline brew in the old slow cooker ..much better results and a lot less corrosive.
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: royhall on April 05, 2016, 07:58:05 AM
I have one of Ash's plating contraptions which is still in the box, never got round to using it as Ash said, it is much easier to leave it to the professionals, unless you are only doing one off parts. You also must be careful not to have any chrome or nice paint, as the vapour from the chemicals does nasty things to anything near by.
If you don't want Ash's plating device Trigger can I have it to try out?
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: Trigger on April 05, 2016, 01:34:34 PM
I have one of Ash's plating contraptions which is still in the box, never got round to using it as Ash said, it is much easier to leave it to the professionals, unless you are only doing one off parts. You also must be careful not to have any chrome or nice paint, as the vapour from the chemicals does nasty things to anything near by.
If you don't want Ash's plating device Trigger can I have it to try out?

I will get around to using it when I have just a few parts to do, but at the moment I seem to have shed loads.
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 05, 2016, 02:03:36 PM
Roy .. how nifty are you with a soldering iron, as I could send you the electronic components and a laptop supply to make one , when I post your book.
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: royhall on April 06, 2016, 07:22:55 AM
Thanks for the kind offer Ash.

I am going to shop around for a better deal with plating companies instead I think. Home plating appeared at first to be a great idea, but it looks a lot more involved than I first thought.

The last lot I had plated at Lancaster Bronze was a good job and reasonable price, but it just took weeks and weeks to get it back. That's not too bad if you can send a full bikes worth in one go, but as I'm building a special I'm going to find a lot of extra bits along the way so really need a quick turn around.

Will let you know Ash when I change my mind, as I just may end up having to do it myself.

Cheers.
Title: Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 06, 2016, 08:14:49 AM
Thanks for the kind offer Ash.

I am going to shop around for a better deal with plating companies instead I think. Home plating appeared at first to be a great idea, but it looks a lot more involved than I first thought.

The last lot I had plated at Lancaster Bronze was a good job and reasonable price, but it just took weeks and weeks to get it back. That's not too bad if you can send a full bikes worth in one go, but as I'm building a special I'm going to find a lot of extra bits along the way so really need a quick turn around.

Will let you know Ash when I change my mind, as I just may end up having to do it myself.

Cheers.

No worries Roy...probably a wise decision.. There are some things commercial places won't plate like the fittings on oil hoses on the 750, so home plating is useful for that and small bits you forgot to include  (or if you live in the sticks) but like myself  and Trig said, better results and less hassle.

This lot cost me 50 quid at Allenchrome.co.uk and turnaround was 2-3 weeks. Got my second batch in there at the moment.

[attachimg=1]