Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: El__burro on April 24, 2016, 07:37:57 PM

Title: Top yoke welding?
Post by: El__burro on April 24, 2016, 07:37:57 PM
Hello, Ive just realised that I have a tiny line in the top yoke and I am sure when I tighten it on the forks it will crack.
Can it be Mig welded?
thanks
el__burro(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/01ec38c72416ef361076fd6bc45f93eb.jpg)
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: JamesH on April 24, 2016, 07:39:17 PM
A good tig welder should be able to do that and dress the weld prior to paint. Where are your 'D' washers?
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: bladeboy on April 25, 2016, 05:34:36 AM
Gotta be tig welded as it is cast aluminium. ... A mig is no good.
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 25, 2016, 07:35:29 AM
Think my 750K0 was TIG welded at some time .. RGP750 has it at the 'mo. As James says don't forget the mega expensive 'D' shaped spacers !
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: MCTID on April 25, 2016, 09:26:26 AM
You can probably find a replacement Yoke for less money than a Welder (and all your messing about) will cost.

Look on DK's Website or E Bay.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you can grind off some of the material on correct sized washers to make them the 'D' shape that is needed to ensure the Yoke doesn't crack when fitted - if you don't have or can't buy the OEM washers.

Can any member post the dimensions on the Forum?
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: Trigger on April 25, 2016, 09:46:49 AM
You can probably find a replacement Yoke for less money than a Welder (and all your messing about) will cost.

Look on DK's Website or E Bay.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you can grind off some of the material on correct sized washers to make them the 'D' shape that is needed to ensure the Yoke doesn't crack when fitted - if you don't have or can't buy the OEM washers.

Can any member post the dimensions on the Forum?

D,washers are OD 16mm, ID 8mm, thickness 2.3mm and the cut is to 14mm ;)
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 25, 2016, 11:19:32 AM
Here's my drawing .. Check out the 'Checked by'  ;D ;D


Top Yoke Spacer P/N 53235-300-000  Dimensions taken from my 3/71 CB500K0 but same P/N as CB750

Not paying silly money will make my own !  ;D

Finish is a semi black finish .. some sort of dip process by the look of it or black zinc passivated finish.

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: MCTID on April 25, 2016, 11:37:22 AM
What stars you Guys are. 10/10.

Ash....you are crackers.....Shiela B Devotion - recorded a song called 'Spacer'....she must have made a big impression on you!

Now.......I'm off to the Casino tonight (Birthday treat) so come on Guys........what are the winning numbers going to be? (not that I'll be buying that Sandcast on Bonhams).
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 25, 2016, 01:35:15 PM
What stars you Guys are. 10/10.

Ash....you are crackers.....Shiela B Devotion - recorded a song called 'Spacer'....she must have made a big impression on you!

Now.......I'm off to the Casino tonight (Birthday treat) so come on Guys........what are the winning numbers going to be? (not that I'll be buying that Sandcast on Bonhams).

Well spotted mate .... Not  as much as Grace Slick...now there was a sassy hippy lady..She got pulled over by the cops once  and pulled a gun on them.

Bonhams bike was  a lowly diecast albeit a  UK one!
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: El__burro on April 25, 2016, 06:24:40 PM
thanks, what do the D washer look like, any image?
where do they go?
Thanks.
el__burro
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 28, 2016, 08:30:10 AM
thanks, what do the D washer look like, any image?
where do they go?
Thanks.
el__burro


Here goes : it fits between the clamp bolt gaps in the top yoke.

This lady describes it better than me tho  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ_LLwQ7Pck


[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: Chris400F on April 28, 2016, 02:41:39 PM
When you have listened to the lovely Sheila B's description (or even while you are listening to it) you could have a look at the Parts List in the Mega CB750 download in Ash's Dropbox.
The download is indeed a humungous document but worth finding your way around as there is loads of good stuff in it, and I don't even have a 750!
Section F3 will show you what you want to know.
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: Sgt.Pinback on April 28, 2016, 02:48:58 PM
That's all far too cool, guys.

Ash, you made my day!
Title: Top yoke welding?
Post by: El__burro on April 28, 2016, 10:21:36 PM
thanks for sharing Ash and Trigger, I am finding it difficult to find a washer 2.32mm thick. (or 2 thin ones).
I guess my best shot will be on DSS (for £16.74 for both).

Thanks
el__burro
Title: Re: Top yoke welding?
Post by: El__burro on April 29, 2016, 02:34:11 PM
Oh yeah!
Not sure how but I found the washer spacers in my scrap box.
They must be from the original (rhino horn) yoke.
Thanks, i am over the moon.
el__burro
(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/a648f6e0c45d7e0298295e616ff97563.jpg)