Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Yoshi823

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44
1
CB750 / Re: Surprise 812 Yoshi Pistons - but will they work for me
« on: August 04, 2022, 01:42:31 PM »


When I was in the market for a bigger piston kit for my CB750F2 I rode down to Dixon Racing in Godalming and spoke to the man himself. He didn't have any 812cc (64mm) piston kits in stock at the time so I bought the 823cc (64.5mm) kit instead. This was just a straight overbore from the 61mm standard bore that gives that engine the 736mm size. It is my understanding that 836mm (65mm) is the maximum that the sleeves will take before needing punching out & replacing with thicker ones.

I had the barrels bored to size then honed to clearance by a colleague that had a boring bar and a stone hone. As far as I can recollect (this was back in 1981) the hone to clearance was standard Honda specs as the pistons are cast, not forged, which have a different spec.

I have some spare piston rings that are surplus to requirements that I am willing to sell. I knew I kept them for a reason.

PM me if you are interested.

2
CB500/550 / Re: duff spark plug
« on: June 20, 2022, 03:11:56 PM »
I bought some NGK plugs from M&P for the Exup & had problems with 2 of them within a 1000 miles


3
CB500/550 / Re: CB500 runs lean and doesn't want to pull through
« on: February 26, 2022, 07:08:20 PM »
A few years ago I bought a nice condition CB550K3 from someone relatively local and it had a lean running problem. I made the point that I didn't know much about bikes & that it would have to be put in to a bike shop to be fixed.

In reality, I had a good idea where the problem was from the start & once home I pulled the carbs & replaced all four of the inlet manifold 'O' rings (part #14 on the fiche) as one was snapped & the other 3 didn't look in good enough condition. For what they cost it wasn't worth looking for cheap alternatives & having resolved the lean running it pulled in a similar way to the wife's CB550F2.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550k3-four-england_model14671/partslist/E02.html#.Yhp5PrunzIU

4
CB750 / Re: 750 Starter Idler Gear Shim
« on: February 09, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »
The shim, part 6 on the fiche, is 45mm o/d, 18.3mm i/d & 1mm thick, with a slight step halfway across the width.

If this sounds correct, ping me your address & i'll pop it in the post.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750f2-super-sport-england_model14689/partslist/E11.html#.YgO7yiqnzIU

5
CB750 / Re: 750 Starter Idler Gear Shim
« on: February 08, 2022, 12:01:22 PM »
I might have one in my box of CB750 parts. I'll have a look & see if I can find it.

6
CB350/400 / Re: Greasing the swingarm.
« on: December 19, 2021, 01:46:00 PM »
Talking of those plastic swing arm bushes, there used to be a time when M&P used to sell phosphur-bronze ones for less than £20. I bought a bulk load & fitted them to my 550s, my 750F2 & to a friend's CBX1000ZA. They certainly improved the feel of the back end after fitting.

7
CB500/550 / Re: Vesrah gasket kits
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »

8
CB350/400 / Re: Cross drilled discs
« on: November 19, 2021, 11:54:18 PM »
Back in the early '80s I converted my CB550F1 commuter bike to twin discs. I made up a template subdividing the swept area & then, using my skills from my school days doing technical drawing I drew the pattern that I chose to use. I then centre punched through the template & on to the swept area. The results are as seen



Having drilled my own discs it was not at all difficult & I reused the same template on other friends CB500 & 550 bikes. I have also done my brother's GS1000S discs & a friend's CBX1000ZA & those on my CB750F2, using the same method.


9
Misc / Open / Re: The Science Of Being Seen...
« on: October 26, 2021, 12:37:02 PM »
My Mrs and I attended the free Biker Down course at the Kent Fire & Rescue HQ at Rochester (Kent) the other year and there was a bod there preaching about how yellow & blue hi-viz jackets are not as easily seen as a pink one. I saw his fifteen minutes only as a way of pushing his book. The rest of the course was top notch and my Mrs learnt a bit more than she already knew but specifically about how to safely remove a smack hat (as my Dad used to call them) from a casualty.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/road-safety/motorbike-safety-course-biker-down/

10
Misc / Open / Re: DVLA Service?
« on: October 26, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »
DVLA in Swansea is now run run by Capita, who also collect my council tax on behalf of.

11
CB750 / Re: Brake master cylinder.
« on: October 25, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »
Dot 4 & 5 are compatible so won't give you any realistic problems as seal compatibility exists between them.

Apart from being less corrosive for 5 I understand it as Bryan put,  that it doesn't effectively absorb water.

It's a odd situation though as Dot 4 holds water in suspension,  and so reduces boiling point as %i ncreases. The same water ingress to Dot 5 effectively drops to the lowest point of the system IF it were to get into the system in the same fashion.  This would also reduce effectiveness in a similar fashion.

DoT 4 and 5 are not compatible. It is DoT 5.1 which is.

I used DoT 5 back in the early '80s for my Honda CB750F2 Special & never had any problems. It did need very careful bleeding as tiny air bubbles would compress under braking if not bled successfully.

12
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: XR400R-SM
« on: August 29, 2021, 09:23:56 PM »
They're great bikes & so easy to work on. The 250s are very popular over the years & still demand a good resale value  :)

13
CB750 / Re: 750F2 clatter
« on: August 29, 2021, 08:59:34 PM »
Before adjusting the carbs i'd suggest doing the cam chain tension first, according to the Haynes manual.
The procedure in the owners handbook is incorrect.

I had nearly 40k on my F2 before its unfortunate demise & it always ran quietly

14
Other Bikes / Re: Honda CB125T2 Restoration
« on: August 26, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
One problem with projects is how easily they're pushed to one side when other things pop along....like a grandaughter. This little wonder has made things difficult as she was born 5 weeks early, so the room in my daughter's house wasn't ready for the little one when she did go home.

Hopefully i'll find some spare cash at some time to finish off the CB125T2 project. It's that & the time that I need atm

15
SOHC Singles & Twins / XR400R-SM
« on: August 26, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »
I've had my XR for quite a few years now & it's seen some very rough & some smooth surfaces. But since buying a newer race bike I decided to install some 17" wheels so that I could still have some fun on tarmac  ;D


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44