Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - JB373

Pages: [1]
1
CB750 / Re: Electrical help please
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
Thanks all for the help - i have managed to get it going, i disconnected everything and reconnected then cleaned and reinstated - i think it was the solenoid that wasn't grounded. Anyway made todays ride all the more enjoyable…...

2
CB750 / Re: Electrical help please
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
Thanks for all you helpful suggestions Oddjob, I have been in the shed all day today working through your ideas. I cleaned out switch which wasn't too bad and I have cleaned up the fuse (the fuse didn't look like I expected it to - a big cylindrical thing) so now all the lights work but it still won't start - there's nothing. There is no clicking coming from the solenoid but when I bridge it the starter motor turns over. I don't know where to go from here - any other suggestions - how can I test to see if the solenoid is knackered?
Any suggestion appreciated as always

3
CB750 / Re: Electrical help please
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »
Thanks for your help Oddjob - appreciated.
I've been out to the shed and inspected - as daft as it sounds I can't find any fuses coming of the solenoid. I have tried taking a picture but it hasn't come out great in the limited light. I'll try again tomorrow in daylight.
Does that the fact that the lights don't work either (other than the neutral warning light) help with diagnosing the fault?

4
CB750 / Electrical help please
« on: April 30, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
Hello all, I have been working on a 71' CB750 K1 as my first project. I am relatively comfortable finding my way around the mechanical stuff but when it come to electrics I struggle so would really appreciate any help anyone can give - so here's my problem.
I last rode the bike about 6 months ago as I've been working on it over the winter, I have come to start it and there was nothing. I have had the battery on trickle charge over the winter so thought it would be ok. The headlight and brake lights came on but it wouldn't turn over the reading from the battery read about 12.7v but when I turned the ignition on it dropped to 8.6v so thought it may be the battery so I have just replaced it with a new one. It still won't turn over and now only the neutral light will come on the headlights, brake lights horn etc now do not have power and I have tried hooking it up via cable to a car battery to see if that helps - it doesn't still on the neutral light. I read in another thread about bridging the solenoid terminals to see if that works - i got sparks and it turned over - thats as far as i have got - does this make sense to anyone…please?

5
CB750 / Re: K1 top yoke
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
Thanks for the useful replies - £108 is a little more than I was hoping to shell out - unless I can sell my original K1 rhino horn yoke - any takers??

6
CB750 / K1 top yoke
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
Hi - I have a 71 K1 project on the go and I am going run clip ons so want to grind the top yoke down for some cleaner lines but rather than chop up the original (rhino horn shape) which look like they're quite rare, does anyone know if any other model top yokes fit the K1 - I did buy a later cb750 model top yoke off ebay for not very much but it didn't line up -anyone have any suggestions...please?
Thanks

7
CB750 / Re: 71' CB750 oil tank
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »
Thank you - that is very helpful. I'll take it for a run tonight and see if there's a pressure build up. Like you I figured the vent was there for a reason - may be I'll go back to the original to be on the safe side

8
CB750 / Re: 71' CB750 oil tank
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Thanks - I'm not sure of the size but it is smaller than the original so maybe that's an issue. Do you you know if it would be a problem not having a vent pipe?

9
CB750 / 71' CB750 oil tank
« on: July 28, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
Newbie help required please.....I have been building a cafe/brat style 750 and have replaced a big chrome oil tank that came on the bike I bought with a smaller black one that I bought on eBay from a later model. The one I took off had a vent tube but the new one doesn't - will this cause any issues? I have only ridden it a maximum of 15 miles but the oil tank gets very hot (too hot to touch) is this normal? Any advice gratefully received. Pics can be seen here if interested - Www.shedcustom.wordpress.co.uk

10
CB750 / Re: Front and rear hub offset
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
Thanks all for the answers - that makes things easier

11
CB750 / Front and rear hub offset
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
I'm looking for any help in establishing hub offset. I have a 1971 K1 that although has some aftermarket alloy wheels (I believe from an F series - which will be for sale when I have sorted the spoked wheels) but included in the purchase where the original rims and hubs. I have now cleaned and powder coated these and rethreaded new spokes. I am now at the stage of truing them. Now the question is - what should the hub offset be - I think the front is probably central but if anyone knows for sure what it should be on both the front and back I would be very grateful for any help - thanks.

12
CB750 / Newbie Carb Question
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
Hello all - as the tittle suggests I am total newbie to SOHC, I have been on the look out for a cafe project for some time now and the perfect bike has now come available for me - a '73 CB750 however it is missing the carbs and air box and all rubbers etc. I have done a search for buy a new set with not much luck - so I have some questions:

- Is it realistic to buy a used set in reasonable condition and for a reasonable price?
- Are there new aftermarket carbs available - if so where would I look?
- Do you have to run an airbox or can filters be used?
- Should I wait or a more complete bike as I am a novice at this?

Any suggestions or comments would be gratefully recieved
Thanks

13
CB750 / Re: Cb750 f1 cafe build
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Hi Andy - where did you get your wheels done and how much did it cost? did the same place blast and coat? Wanting to get the same done on mine - they look smart

Pages: [1]