Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - JezzaPeach

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
1
CB500/550 / Re: Speedometer drive
« on: September 15, 2026, 08:26:59 PM »
Many thanks Skoti 👍

2
CB500/550 / Re: Speedometer drive
« on: September 12, 2026, 03:26:24 PM »
Many thanks Ted, Dave, Oddjob.
I think the sooting could indeed be valve stem oil seals. I’m not getting and smoke on startup. Or running as far as I know, but I could get someone to follow and observe. Many thanks again.

3
CB500/550 / Re: Speedometer drive
« on: September 11, 2026, 12:09:38 PM »
Many thanks all. Standard tyres, it sounds like it’s pretty normal. I thought I was getting 50 mpg and on a short test vs Google maps it’s more like 45 mpg. So I’ll do a longer test at steady cruising speed and hopefully that will give an equivalent better consumption nearer say 50mpg (1972 CB500/4) my plugs are quite sooty, partly due to a little oil consumption but I was wondering if it’s rich due to needle/jet wear and if it’s worth, as a test, moving say one needle clip from the current middle notch up one to see if it helps.

4
CB500/550 / Speedometer drive
« on: September 11, 2026, 10:07:00 AM »
My speedo reads 4-5mph or say 10% too high. Does anyone know if there is a drive gear that would fit that would get this more accurate? Thanks in advance.

5
CB500/550 / Re: Sooty plugs
« on: July 19, 2026, 04:19:18 PM »
Many thanks both, much appreciated.

6
CB500/550 / Sooty plugs
« on: July 19, 2026, 10:21:31 AM »
Hi just wondering if there’s an easier/technical way of telling if sooting is due to mixture rather than say slight oil consumption. I have to admit the deposit feels slightly oily but is not damp in appearance. I’m suspecting that when the barrels were off at some time in the past, for gaskets, they didn’t bother doing anything to the rings/bore. I only have to clean them a couple of times a year so it’s manageable.

7
CB500/550 / Re: CB500-4 323 pipes baffle fix?
« on: July 07, 2026, 05:58:31 PM »
Many thanks John. Unfortunately mine seem loose nearer the front of the box. I’m going to try my usb endoscope gadget to take a look, wondering if I could get some resin down there.

8
CB500/550 / CB500-4 323 pipes baffle fix?
« on: July 05, 2026, 05:40:46 PM »
Hi, my original 4 pipes are very good externally, but the baffles are getting loose. Does anyone know if these can be repaired/replaced?

9
CB750 / Re: Front brake pads
« on: February 22, 2026, 12:56:59 PM »
For me the EBC pads and modern hoses from HEL made to measure, together give the braking needed.

10
CB500/550 / Re: Float bowl drain screws
« on: December 31, 2025, 02:50:36 PM »
Seabeowner, is the height measure screw/tube available somewhere? I did try to make one but not well. I also found that despite very careful measuring (the 22mm) my floats were too high and sucking in excess fuel, ‘soggy’ when blipping down also when idling causing stalling. I lowered them slightly and now she’s running better than ever.

11
CB500/550 / Re: How to paint the letters on light and kill switch control
« on: November 12, 2025, 10:54:24 AM »
Not sure but just wondering if one of those paint pens with the very small metal tip might help.

12
CB350/400 / Re: Gasket removal.
« on: November 06, 2025, 01:32:00 PM »
A hot air blower and a wood chisel as you can control it better than a Stanley blade and stop it ‘catching’.

13
CB350/400 / Re: Carb balancing
« on: November 05, 2025, 08:37:57 AM »
As a side note after many months I found my throttle’s intermittent ‘soggy’ blip was likely due to some of the floats being too high causing excess fuel to be sucked through, even though they seemed to be at the 22mm position. It was ok during faster running, when fuel was getting used up, but slowing down with the throttle more closed, the excess fuel was building up and getting sucked through when subsequently blipping e.g. approaching a roundabout.

14
CB500/550 / Re: pin hole in fuel tank
« on: November 03, 2025, 08:10:12 PM »
I also used POR15, the tin lid was so stuck I had to rip it off with mole grips. Prep is vital, I got hives from the fumes (on my exposed neck and forearms, went after about 3-4 weeks) so I’d wear a mask, cover up, and have a fan blowing the fumes out of the garage door. That was about 6-7 years ago and the inside of the tank is looking very sound and clean. Didn’t have holes just the start of fine rust. I covered the tap hole with a shaped piece of wood with 2 holes for the bolts and a gasket made from a cycle inner tube.

15
CB500/550 / Re: Carb rebuild service?
« on: October 26, 2025, 09:42:13 AM »
Jond99
I only just saw this still posting. I thought mine were leaking from the float bowls but it was the fuel pipe T pieces 8 o rings all along. Just in case.
PS carbs off tips: air filter box out. Clutch cable free (if 500/4) Back and front carb clamps off. Plenum back 1/2 inch. Strip of wood across the back of the head to use a big screwdriver to gently lever the front rubbers. Lots of wiggling. Reassembling, a touch of red rubber grease in the rubbers to help.
New fuel hoses from DS.
I also found lowering the floats slightly has stopped intermittent ‘soggy blip’ on down changes, and stalling, due to too much fuel being sucked through.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28