Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - rs_pete

Pages: [1]
1
CB750 / Re: Dresda Honda CB750 (Identification needed)
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »
CB750 would be the obvious reply!
From what I remember Triumph were popular for rear disc and Locheed conversions. Though I think the spacing on most Honda wheels of the time made them pretty interchangeable so other Hondas than CB750 SOHC.
You already have the brakes so unless you were going all out for a front end upgrade, i.e. Ceriani or Metal Profile forks with Lockheed setup, sticking with Honda would give you the least issues.

2
CB750 / Re: Dresda Honda CB750 (Identification needed)
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
Laverda wheels from workshop manual.

3
CB750 / Re: Dresda Honda CB750 (Identification needed)
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »
Nice.
Well maybe the paintwork is an acquired taste! though was popular on some of his bikes he had in the Putney showrooms when I visited.
What is the story on the engine front alluded to in the caption?
Mine also has the oil in the frame. Bit concerned that the tubes haven't got any corrosion on them that may wreck the engine. Will have to see how I can get them clean.


I had to replace a Guzzi Le Mans engine in a Magni Guzzi some years ago. The owner had the frame powder coated. They didn't block up the engine breather that was part of the frame so ended up full of shot.  As did the engine when he took it out for a run . When I removed the valve covers there were little piles of sand in there! Totally and completely wrecked every bit.

4
CB750 / Re: Dresda Honda CB750 (Identification needed)
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
Saw your post and joined the forum!
I own a Dresda Honda and have done since about 1975. Overbored to 900 and bloody quick :-)
That's about the best bit, it currently resides in boxes in a storage unit as I stripped it down to rebuild it a couple of house moves ago....
Anyway Dresda built at least three iterations of the frame for the CB750 SOHC. Yours and mine are pretty similar except for the coils mounted on the down tubes. They were moved there to keep them cooler and easier to change when racing if they gave problems.
Yours seems to have suffered some "attention" as in the rear master cylinder bracket welded to the frame. All his frames were bronze welded and I believe T45 tubing.
The front is obviously Honda. Wheels are, I think, early Laverda cast ones. Do they have any markings on them and are they different rim widths?
Body work I haven't a clue but Dave used to export Hondas to Spain as Dresdas. Brand new but with a few tweaks such as an alloy tank re register as Dresda and sold in Spain as a British built machine attracting less tax than a Japanese import. Could be the bodywork had something to do with him but ....?
Worth looking at the Japauto owners site for some idea of how awful some of the creations looked back in the 70's! They were often truly unique!!
http://1000vx-club.pagesperso-orange.fr/
The following links are for sites featuring some of the various Dresda frames for the CB750
http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/197903/Jaren-7080-Specials-1.html
http://charlescamberoque.unblog.fr/2009/09/02/la-186-terrot-philippon-rallye/
http://www.stmotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?p=1_9_Honda-Dresda
http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/gallerydresda.htm
The last one shows a 3C Laverda with early cast wheels,
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/File:3C.jpg

I will see if I can dig out some of the info I have including scanning some sales brochures if you are interested?

Pages: [1]