Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - briggsc

Pages: [1]
1
New Member Introductions / Re: No SOHC Four Yet!
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »
Thanks for that gents, Mr Ives & Stotfold duly noted.

I agree the yellow of the F1 wasn't the best, but at the time the dealer (Eddy Grimsteads of Eastham, long gone I believe) offered me a discount to take the yellow one off the showroom floor.  I was eighteen, 'gagging' for my first 'big' bike with £950 burning a hole in my pocket!

Anyway thanks again everyone for your contributions / info, spring's just around the corner....who am I kidding, I've got ice on the inside of the kitchen window! suppose I'll just have to give in to madam's demands to put the heating on again...

Regards,

Colin

2
New Member Introductions / Re: No SOHC Four Yet!
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
That's encouraging to hear Mike. 

I must admit I've always been a bit 'anal' when it comes to oil changes, whatever the manufacturer recommends as the oil change interval I change at half the mileage.  Cheap maintenance compared to an engine rebuild!

Yes, I read the 'James May' article in Classic Bike magazine, I thought all of David Silvers bikes were spoken for.  I suppose a phone call wouldn't hurt, thanks for the info:

Regards,

Colin

3
New Member Introductions / Re: No SOHC Four Yet!
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
Thanks for your replies, (that's a great looking bike Julie!). 

A couple of bikes I've looked at so far had suspiciously high idle speeds, which, when reduced revealed the dreaded cam chain rattle!
I suppose it would be nice to think I can find a well cared for example, but, experience with triples has taught me to plan for the worst case scenario.....perhaps I'm being unduly pessimistic with regard to these bikes.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on.  Ride safe all.

Regards,

Colin

4
New Member Introductions / No SOHC Four Yet!
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
Hello all,

Been looking at your forum for some time now as I`m considering purchasing a 400 / 4 (F2 in Candy Antares preferably), I must say it seems very informative and well set up.

One question I would like to ask before 'taking the plunge' is are there any reputable companies / individuals out there in 'SOHC World' who undertake engine rebuild work should it be necessary?

I've been running Triumph Tridents (T160 & T150V) for the past 12 years and am only to aware of the hours old bikes can 'soak up' keeping them in good order.  I seem to have less time available now than ever, and while I'm happy to perform all servicing / minor repair tasks, splitting crankcases is more than I want to undertake nowadays, hence my question.

I've always admired the 400 / 4, and they seem well catered for regarding spares availability, so hopefully they make a practical proposition as a 'Classic' ride. 

I had a brand new 750 F1 (in yellow, although I really wanted red!) in 1977, it was absolutely reliable and I used it as my sole transport in all weathers, eventually trading it for a Suzuki GS750. 

I'm currently riding a Triumph Thruxton and  still have the T160 which I bought as a 'new / unregistered bike' 12 years ago with 9 miles on the clock where it had been pushed about at shows etc!

Thanks for any replies,

Regards,

Colin

Pages: [1]