Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Charliecharlcomb

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
1
CB500/550 / Re: Restoring Exhaust pipes and finned collarpiece
« on: September 04, 2026, 03:48:59 PM »
I went for the David Silver pattern parts in the end. It looked like way too much work to bring back the originals and I’m happy with what they have sent. Worked out around £20 each including postage.

2
CB500/550 / Re: CB550K3 on ebay
« on: August 31, 2026, 09:02:07 PM »
I hate to think what the insides of carbs are like!

You should see mine after just a year!

3
CB500/550 / Re: Restoring Exhaust pipes and finned collarpiece
« on: August 10, 2026, 05:06:32 PM »
Thanks Bryan, you are spot on of course. The hole is just along before the breather hole and is probably related. I'll make sure it isn't blocked.

4
CB500/550 / Re: Good source for replacement screws, nuts and bolts
« on: August 10, 2026, 05:05:22 PM »
We have a fair stock of OEM fixings if that helps. Some are NOS, others have been re BZP'd.

I've messaged you Julie ;)

5
CB500/550 / Restoring Exhaust pipes and finned collarpiece
« on: August 10, 2026, 03:46:08 PM »
Now I have opened a can of worms cleaning up some unloved areas of the bike I've decided to remove the exhaust pipes and try to safeguard them for the next 10 years.

They were NOS in 1992, have done 9,000 miles and are generally good but having removed them there are some small rust spots and areas where the chrome has rubbed off. Also one tiny hole where the muffler joins the downtube that could be spot welded as there is no other significant rust.

So, what would be the best way to arrest and protect the chrome from rust?

Also, now that everything else is going to look so nice, what would be the best way to make those finned collars (joint in the spares list) rust free and looking new?

Again, any advice would be welcomed

Cheers


6
CB500/550 / Re: Good source for replacement screws, nuts and bolts
« on: August 10, 2026, 03:34:27 PM »
Thanks everyone!

7
CB500/550 / Good source for replacement screws, nuts and bolts
« on: August 10, 2026, 01:13:28 PM »
I'm planning on giving my CB500 a little cosmetic freshen up by replacing some of the more visible external screws, nuts and bolts. I'm keen to stay original and therefore avoid Allen screws etc. so am wondering if there is a decent source that doesn't mean I have to buy individual packaged NOS items?

Any advice would be gladly received  :)

8
CB500/550 / CB500 feature article in Classic bike guide
« on: March 27, 2026, 10:18:43 AM »
I haven’t read it yet but picked my copy up from Tesco.
The faultless 500. Apart from those pesky carbs  :)

9
CB500/550 / Auction bargains
« on: November 10, 2025, 01:13:00 AM »
Some bargains at the NEC today including this beauty

https://www.iconicauctioneers.com/1971-honda-cb500-four-k0-rec16195-1-nec-1125

10
Agreed. For Pre 74 bikes only. Great feedback, thank you.

11
CB500/550 / Black and silver numberplate. Should I or shouldnt I ?
« on: May 03, 2025, 05:18:12 PM »
My CB500 was registered in 1976 so is a P reg. It currently has a yellow and black rear numberplate. I've recently seen a company supplying nice looking black and silver plates and am considering a change. Checking the regs. it looks like any pre 1980 machine qualifies.

Would it look silly?


12
CB500/550 / Re: 550 Fuel pipe
« on: November 09, 2024, 09:33:16 AM »
Ditto thanks Julie. I'm continually struggling to pull off my current fuel pipes each time I try to fix those pesky carbs....

15
CB500/550 / Re: CB 500 Four - engine problems
« on: April 16, 2024, 05:43:12 PM »
I had a misfiring problem that wouldnt go away and after cleaning the carbs and replacing the brass, I realised that the needles need to be changed as well as the replacements are subtly different. I went back to my original brass and needles and after all the cleaning and balancing it runs beautifully again.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7