Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - nigelrharris

Pages: [1]
1
Project Board / Re: 1967 CB450K0 Black Bomber Rebuild - By Royhall
« on: July 10, 2020, 06:23:04 PM »
If I could put my twopence worth in. I have had a Bomber since 1971. The same one to be fair we have been through a lot including poor charging. I have now a charging system that is good enough to require a voltage regulator. I was getting up to 16 VDC which was too much for the AGM battery, its now at a constant 14v. 
The basic system is a magnet that spins in a coil. The magnet had the starter clutch on it which could well have been a source of your issue. 

The original coil may have had insulation leakages. It has three pairs of coils two are for Night time running and come in when you turn on the headlamp and one for day. I never ride without light these days.
I had the coils professionally rewound at a place in Sussex. Not the originals but the work better. I purchased the last NOS rotor from Silvers. Yes it was painful but worth it. I believe that you can get these magnetised too.   

I have a new diode rectifier with significantly less internal resistance from RS it works a treat and is fitted to a heat sink along with the voltage regulator.
The biggest problem I had was the starter clutch had come lose in the past. It sounded like a run big end to be honest it was that bad. This had vibrates and partially demagnetised the rotor. Hence the change of Rotor. Cheap silicon rectifiers work well. I have a 20A fitted to an aluminium heat sink in the rectifier well this also takes the VR.
 

2
New Member Introductions / Hi from Nige
« on: June 29, 2020, 06:20:21 PM »
I've had my 650Z for more than a few years, it complements my 450 K0 Bomber. I've had that even longer, since I was in my early 20's. I'm an enthusiastic rider, "in the warm and dry", as I have been down the bike being my only for of transport from 16-28yrs in all forms of weather.

I've had a few bikes over the years from an NSU quickly, a step through Cub 50, a pressed steel CD 175, a Francis Barnett 250 single stroker, a great CX 500 from new, my 450 and the 650  I still have. 

I've ridden quite a few more over the years, including a very nice Norton Atlas with reverse cone megs and no baffles  :o,  T3 Guzzi, Kwakka 500 triple, Tiger Cub, Bonnie 750 and the 750 and 850 Norton Commando's. I'm sure that there are a few more that I have forgotten too.

I have worked on all my bikes myself and have learned that however much you know, there is so much more to learn.
Thanks to Bryan for letting me know about this site in the UK.

Regards to all
Nige

Pages: [1]