1
CB750 / Re: Where to source decals in the UK for....
« on: September 14, 2026, 10:26:42 PM »
PIkI all day long.👍
Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)
- sorry it's taken so long to fix 
|
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to. 1
CB750 / Re: Where to source decals in the UK for....« on: September 14, 2026, 10:26:42 PM »
PIkI all day long.👍
2
CB500/550 / Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers« on: September 10, 2026, 10:29:10 PM »
Definitely replace them unless it means severe financial hardship 😳. Honestly, it’s worth the expense. Do it right, do it once. Easier to write than accept, and yes, it gets expensive…. Ask me how I know.
3
New Member Introductions / Re: CB550 F 1976« on: September 10, 2026, 10:25:57 PM »
I recommend you reverse engineer in order to progressively and logically eliminate the problem. Revert to standard equipment and progressively ‘improve’ the bike? I’d leave the replacement carb brassware till last.
4
New Member Introductions / Re: CB550 F 1976« on: September 09, 2026, 08:26:07 AM »
I’d start with the carburettor brassware then move onto the ignition system.
I presume the top end of the motor was un disturbed during the work? I’m thinking valve timing. I ask as you stated the “crank was bent”. Did you really mean the ‘crankshaft’, necessitating a full engine rebuild? Folk have used the non OE carb kits with variable success, but generally they have a reputation for being poor, especially needles and slow jets. Replace the alternator! If you are charging satisfactorily I doubt you need a new alternator! 5
CB500/550 / Re: Rear Wheel Rubber Dampers« on: September 09, 2026, 08:17:07 AM »
Please don’t make them from inner tube rubber😳. I think he meant ‘shim’ them with cutdown inner tube. TBH, the dampers are exactly what they claim to be and any loss of condition will simply result in a harsher ride and more drive chain snatch. Personally I’d take the hit and replace them, but if desperate shim them. Removing the slack might still not result in a satisfactory solution if the dampers have gone hard.
I’m inclined to agree with Ted. Suck it and see. If the ride is tolerable go with it, if not you can replace them at a later date. I replaced mine and the difference in ride experience was very noticeable. 6
New Member Introductions / Re: CB550 F 1976« on: September 08, 2026, 10:27:20 PM »
For clarity, the power problems occurred after the carb re-fresh? If so I’d try cleaning and reverting to the original brass. Was there a reason why you replaced the brassware?
7
CB500/550 / Re: Tyres Help« on: September 06, 2026, 05:36:03 PM »
I use Avon road rider mkII, without complaint.
8
CB350/400 / Re: Mocheck Harrier« on: September 02, 2026, 09:25:08 AM »
Mmm, harrier. Last time I saw one of those was with its guts hanging out on the Newcastle to Blyth coast road. It’s tuned 40hp was no match for a 550 GS Suzuki. I believe it had dropped a rod.
9
CB350/400 / Re: Might have to repaint the red zone on the tach...« on: August 28, 2026, 11:39:23 AM »
I know, just my mischievous sense of humour🫢
10
CB350/400 / Re: Might have to repaint the red zone on the tach...« on: August 28, 2026, 08:56:53 AM »
Mmmm. 12000rpm without any ill effects. How do you know? I’d be more concerned about the potential stress damage you can’t see without a granular, detailed check. Consider going to 12000 again for about 5 seconds and let us know how you get on?
11
Member 4 Sales / Re: cb550 tank flap lock« on: August 22, 2026, 09:38:56 AM »
Factually, we lost the war to a Welshman. Glad to see you are in better form, Ken.👍👍
As for being on the “ wrong side of the hill..”..mmm🤔. I’m certainly over the hill.🤨 12
Member 4 Sales / Re: cb550 tank flap lock« on: August 20, 2026, 10:14:54 PM »
Yes, very much so.Still awaiting delivery of your ‘shell collection’, though😄
13
Project Board / Re: Where did my thread go?« on: August 19, 2026, 08:52:36 AM »
In answer to Oddjob. We have a phrase in golf for a poor shot that finds its way to the fairway in reasonable order. It’s called a “Sister in law”. It’s up there, but you know it shouldn’t be!
14
Project Board / Re: Where did my thread go?« on: August 18, 2026, 01:10:34 PM »
Who knew that 4 screws could attract so much ‘discussion’. 🫣🥱
15
CB500/550 / Re: Adjusting my carbs on a CB500. What worked and what didn't.« on: August 16, 2026, 08:57:44 AM »
Nicely done that man. Take a cigar, sit back and watch the fun.
|