Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - 545863

Pages: [1] 2
1
SOHC Singles & Twins / Carb Jetting
« on: April 30, 2026, 01:49:35 PM »
I am mildly customising a CB100N. I have had to remove the standard air filter to achieve what I am doing and will be fitting a pod filter, should I expect to have to experiment with the carb jets or should a pod filter not that much difference? Cheers. 

2
SOHC Singles & Twins / Leaking carb.
« on: January 31, 2026, 05:31:55 PM »
I posted a piece recently about my CB100N carb leaking petrol after it was ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt. The problem was not the float bowl leaking so I assumed it might be a worn float valve seat, (new ones are not available as a separate part). Looking more closely at the seat it looked slightly rough and dull in colour. I cleaned the seat with a tiny amount of grinding paste on a cotton bud held in a cordless drill. I then polished the seat, again with a cotton bud in the drill with a small amount of brass polish. I then sprayed some carb cleaner into the seat. The carb now works perfectly with no leaks. I assume that the ultrasonic cleaning process must have left some form of deposits on the seat causing it to leak?

3
Desperately Seeking!! / SS50.
« on: January 26, 2026, 10:25:16 PM »
Looking for a Left side lower fork leg for a drum brake SS50 if anyone has one for sale? Thanks.

4
Tricks & Tips / Carb Clip Tip
« on: January 18, 2026, 03:20:36 PM »
The clip on my carb, (Keihin), which goes under the throttle slide spring to hold the jet needle and clip down broke and I could not find anywhere to buy the part separately. I used a stainless steel repair washer with a 4mm hole which allows the top of the needle to poke through but covers the needle clip, (notch cut out of the washer for the throttle cable). The outside diameter of the washer is the same as the diameter of the throttle slide spring, (12mm), so the spring holds the washer down in place. It seems to work fine.

5
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: Bike in storage.
« on: March 15, 2025, 11:46:05 AM »
None of the above have worked, whatever you do the bike jolts and stalls as soon as you put it in gear.

6
SOHC Singles & Twins / Bike in storage.
« on: March 14, 2025, 12:53:52 PM »
I can't start up and use my CB100N as often as I would like. If left for a few weeks the clutch plates will seize up, the bike subsequently jerking and stalling if put into gear. Has anyone found a way of freeing them off without having to strip the clutch down? Ta.

8
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: LED Indicators
« on: May 18, 2023, 05:55:15 PM »
For info: I emailed classiccarleds who replied as follows:

The flickering with the LEDs can be caused by a number of things, RF from the coil being primary however, we'd recommend checking:

The earths and live contacts at the lamp holders and also the flasher relay.  LEDs need better contacts than incandescent lamps will suffer.  Vibration from the bike when the engine is running may be causing loss of contact which LEDs will show immediately.
A drop in voltage.  Make sure you have 6 volts at the lamp holders when the bike is running.
Your indicator switch.  Make sure the switch is in good condition and the contacts are clean.
Using a multimeter, ensure there is no ripple (AC) in the electrical supply.

9
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: LED Indicators
« on: May 18, 2023, 05:53:03 PM »
O.K. thanks anyway.

10
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: LED Indicators
« on: May 18, 2023, 05:33:48 PM »
O.K. thanks anyway.

11
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: LED Indicators
« on: May 18, 2023, 03:50:50 PM »
Bulbs are 2 pin, (same height not offset), bayonet fitting with a 15mm base.

12
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: LED Indicators
« on: May 18, 2023, 11:49:22 AM »
The battery is fairly new and is the AGM type. I have 6.40 volts with the engine off, 7.01 volts at idle then variable up to 7.45 volts when revving the engine.

13
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: LED Indicators
« on: May 17, 2023, 06:32:44 PM »
Just to be clear, LED bulbs were put in the original indicators, so it's just the bulbs which were changed then the diode and flasher unit wired in.

14
SOHC Singles & Twins / Re: LED Indicators
« on: May 17, 2023, 02:28:11 PM »
Bulbs, diode and flasher relay all bought from classiccarleds.

15
SOHC Singles & Twins / LED Indicators
« on: May 17, 2023, 10:47:42 AM »
I converted the indicators on my 1981 CB100N to LED bulbs, (together with diode and the correct relay), they work fine with the engine off but flicker when the engine is running. The supplier suggested that this may be due to an unsuppressed HT lead. I used a new coil with a suppressed lead and a suppressed spark plug cap but the flickering remains when the engine is running. Has anyone had a similar experience or maybe suggest what might be causing the flickering? Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2