This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - Saesneg Shaun
1
« on: September 19, 2024, 07:52:57 PM »
Have you eliminated the possiblity that its coil or plug lead related rather than suspecting the Boyer unit?
As has been said if it was worn needles that would make it run richer then you might expect that to be reflected in the spark plug colouring. Are you using resistor plugs or just resistor caps. Are the spark plugs relatively new?
If you have the points base & advancer might be worth returning the ignition back to standard temporarily - easier than having to take the carbs off. (Never seen a Boyer Unit so not sure they are)
Yes, I checked them all and trimmed back and loose ones. I checked the connections on the boyer ignition and just to be sure the kill switch and ignition switch. I'm running resistor caps and non-resistor NGK plugs. Unfortunately I had issues with the points cam running out of true hence going to boyer electronic.
2
« on: September 19, 2024, 08:31:54 AM »
On the other hand you may have the same problem that I had. Needle jets worn and guttered out, giving a massive flat spot when accelerating.
Honda part number 16012 392 004
I hadn't considered that. The bike has 33k miles on it but their probably the originals in there. Is there any obvious visible signs of wear I can look for or just replace?
3
« on: September 18, 2024, 09:04:55 PM »
Haven't been out much on the bike but got the chance to ride today. I tried turning the air screws in a bit but no difference to the bogging down unfortunately. Slightly richer means it won't idle cleanly unless I up the tickover speed to nearer 2000rpm so i'm guessing 1 1/8th turns out is about right. Also tried spraying the inlets with brake cleaner but no air leaks either.
The I rule out the more i'm beginning to think its electrical and the boyer ignition is to blame. Its happening between 2000-3000 rpm in all gears.
4
« on: September 06, 2024, 10:51:35 PM »
OK so to be clear I need to turn the air screw IN to richen it a bit? I'm thinking of getting a cheap Amazon temperature gun for checking the header temps. Anyone used one for this?
5
« on: September 06, 2024, 08:18:21 AM »
If it's a 750K6, @Hondaman on the sister US SOHC4 forum, has explained a few times that turning in the idle screw weakens the mixture, as it isn't an air screw, it is metering the flow of already mixed air/fuel. So unscrew to richen.
It still feels alien to me (I'm more used to Amal carbs). But, that's his advice.
Thanks it is a K6, good to know as I thought it was the other way around.
7
« on: September 05, 2024, 10:05:50 AM »
Thanks all, i'll try turning the screws in to richten it up a bit. I was told too lean and the revs hang when I blip the throttle and too rich revs will bog down then recover. I'm running the stock airbox & filter and the advance mech is replaced with the boyer kit.
8
« on: September 04, 2024, 10:47:52 PM »
Does it seem to run lean?
White plugs,
What about R type plugs and resister plugs caps, are you running both?
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
Doesn't seem to be running lean looking at the plug colour. Air screws are about 1 1/8 out which I set during carb balancing procedure. Running NGK resistor caps and D8EA plugs. Its usually a pig to start from cold but once started it runs fine until its hot. I've cleaned and balanced the carbs numerous times now. I replaced the pilot with new genuine honda just in case and replaced all the fuel needle valves because 1 leaked. I previously had issues with wear in the point spindle but am now running electronic so I shouldn't be that either.
9
« on: September 04, 2024, 09:13:59 PM »
Hi all, I could do with some advice regarding another problem with the K6. When opening the throttle to accelerate the bike momentarily cuts out. Its much more than a flat spot as for a split second the engine completely dies making the forks dive before picking up and accelerating as normal. It only does this when its up to normal temperature and the hotter the bike gets the worse the problem.
I'm running Boyer electronic ignition with the original coils. New plugs and timing checked. Carbs have been cleaned and balanced, new needle valves fitted and float levels checked. Don't know if its related but the bike is (and always has been) a very poor cold starter.
I'm running out of ideas. Coil breaking down maybe?
10
« on: June 25, 2024, 09:41:05 PM »
I'll see how I get on without the nylon spacer. I've no doubt the pads are pattern parts so probably never came with it.
11
« on: June 25, 2024, 04:19:37 PM »
Ah, never thought of that as a screw as never seen one removed, as well as the piston piece you are missing there should be a nylon spacer between pad and piston
Ah I don't have that either. Ordered the pad seat from DSS now. Can't see it on the parts diagram, is it something I can make up?
12
« on: June 25, 2024, 11:14:02 AM »
Ok problem sort of solved. My bike is completely missing the seat pad part number 45151-300-000. The 'mechanic' who previously owned this bike must have thought it not necessary!
I'd assumed the locating screw/pin was aftermarket and too long not that a whole piece was missing from the setup.
I ordered some stuff from DSS last week. Now it looks like I have to pay their extortionate delivery charges again!
13
« on: June 25, 2024, 10:54:02 AM »
this one. You can see slight damage to the lip where it rubbed before I trimmed it.
14
« on: June 25, 2024, 10:40:02 AM »
Its the piston side pad locating pin that screws into the metal backing of the pad. Its was too long and fouling the brake caliper piston lip
15
« on: June 25, 2024, 08:45:48 AM »
Another day, another problem.
I found why my front brake was dragging and hardly worked. The piston was catching on the little brake pad retaining screw poking through the back of the pad and pushing the pad at an angle so I only had about 25% contact. This seems too have caused the pad to tilt in the caliper and jam.
I've shortened the screw slightly to avoid catching the piston (which now has a nice groove in the lip) but should there be a dust seal on the piston and pad?
|