This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - ted_paper
1
« on: July 27, 2026, 01:07:36 PM »
Old stud removed and new one ordered. Just thought I might as well replace the nut as well but these are coming up at £3 ish for one - are they not just a 8mm nut or is it a special Honda thread?
2
« on: July 23, 2026, 10:33:08 PM »
Thanks for advice. New stud it is.
3
« on: July 23, 2026, 07:45:24 PM »
DO NOT try to rethread the stud, unscrew it and replace it
Is there a reason for not rethreading the stud?
4
« on: July 23, 2026, 05:48:58 PM »
When tightening the front wheel axle clamp bolt nuts, one of them is refusing to tighten and just spins. Having tried different nuts I assume that the thread on the stud is stripped and needs re-cutting. This would be my first attempt at using a tap-and-die kit and would appreciate any advice as to what size die I would need and can this be done without removing the leg? Thanks
5
« on: November 18, 2025, 04:59:37 PM »
Out of interest, where are the bar end mirrors from?
6
« on: February 26, 2025, 10:47:31 AM »
After a few cups of coffee, taking everything off the plate and re-assembling and re-gapping, I have finally managed to get the firing marks lined up, with the plate at it's max adjustment for 1/4 points. Thanks everyone for the advice.
7
« on: February 25, 2025, 10:49:31 AM »
Okay, thanks.
8
« on: February 25, 2025, 09:22:30 AM »
The points that have been removed were also unbranded. I've just looked at the link that Oddjob left ( I assume that this is the hondaman system?) . Does this make setting the timing easier, or does it tend to keep the timing more accurate for longer?
9
« on: February 24, 2025, 03:37:46 PM »
Re-gapped the points 1 and 4 are now firing ever-so slightly late but can't adjust them anymore. 2 and 3 are now constantly making a circuit! Is there a way to test points to see if they work correctly? The manual says gapping between .03 and .04 - does increasing or decreasing the gap size within these limits effect anything? Thanks
10
« on: February 24, 2025, 02:18:41 PM »
The video I've been following suggests to to use the tang that appears in the view hole approx. 90 degree turn after the firing mark to use to find the max point opening - is this the correct way or is it just a case of trying to eye it in? Points are non-branded from Wemoto, about a tenner each - probably false economy then?
11
« on: February 24, 2025, 12:08:26 PM »
Sort of a follow on from condensers and points topic. This is my first time changing points and setting the timing so I have been following Youtube videos and the Haynes manual. The problem I am having is that the timing plate has run out of adjustment - ie when the circuit to the points is made, there is no adjustment that be made to bring it line with the F mark. I have attached some pics which show when a circuit at max adjustment. Am I doing something basically wrong?
12
« on: February 20, 2025, 11:27:06 AM »
Screws arrived this morning- thank you.
13
« on: February 16, 2025, 03:26:42 PM »
Thanks Oddjob, PM sent
14
« on: February 16, 2025, 02:09:51 PM »
Ok, finally started to replace the points only to find that the screws fixing the points and on the timing adjustment plate for cylinders 2 and 3 are really butchered and need replacing. The cmsnl webpage exploded schematic just has "Screw,cross,4x10 is used most often" as a general description. Are these applicable for the points and plate? Thanks
15
« on: February 11, 2025, 12:51:05 PM »
Oops....already ordered pattern parts from Wemoto! Hoping for the best
|