Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Johny Boy

Pages: [1] 2 3
1
CB500/550 / Re: K3 starter not working on switch
« on: May 21, 2026, 06:25:27 PM »
Thanks both, my switch gear is new, reproduction ones, so the headlight is on as soon as the ignition is on, and I was assuming that as it dimmed when I press the starter all was good. However my handlebars are black in colour and I've just checked they do not act as a ground and if a ground was required then this might be the issue, I'll check the 12v to the solenoid as well though.

Thanks again, hopefully that's the answer

2
CB500/550 / K3 starter not working on switch
« on: May 21, 2026, 12:53:24 PM »
Hi all, I'm having an issue with the starter motor not turning on the button.

I currently have the ignition hot wired, as I'm fitting a Moto Gadget ignition switch
Lights, horn etc all work fine , I.e. I have switched 12v working and the charging circuit works

I have a signal coming from the starter button (resistance change), and the headlight dims when I press it.
The clutch switch is also giving out a signal but I have bypassed it at the moment for convenience, as I don't have a signal from the neutral switch yet.
I have replaced the starter solenoid switch with a new repro one.

If I jump the solenoid it will turn over and start up just fine. But not on the button.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should check next?

Thanks
John

3
CB500/550 / Re: Indicator relay wiring
« on: April 10, 2026, 12:23:51 PM »
Oh yes,  Gr is grey not green, thanks for that

4
CB500/550 / Indicator relay wiring
« on: April 10, 2026, 10:21:55 AM »
Hi, me again, thanks for all the help so far.

This one is for the electrically minded amongst you

Lights and horn now working... ;D

I have a 2 pole relay for the indicators, with B and L markings.
As I understand it,  B is the battery feed and L the load from the switch.
The handbook wiring diagram shows these as black and green respectively.
I have these from the loom, although the green wire is about 2" shorter than the black and doesn't seem long enough to comfortably reach the relay and I also seem to have a spare white wire, same length as the black one and I can't see where this would connect
Any ideas on this?


5
CB500/550 / Re: Main wiring harness routing
« on: April 08, 2026, 06:03:32 PM »
Yes it is and does have all the right connectors on

6
CB500/550 / Re: Main wiring harness routing
« on: April 08, 2026, 03:45:28 PM »
Thanks for that, she is a K3 but the switch gear are after market replacements, maybe that's why they are so long!

But that does answer my question, I will have a look at the documents you suggest

7
CB500/550 / Main wiring harness routing
« on: April 08, 2026, 11:52:32 AM »
Hi all, my rebuild is just about done, just the electrics to connect up.

Could someone help me with a dumb question?
where should the main harness end be secured?
I.e. under the tank or behind the headlight?

The harness is long enough to go up to the headlight area, but the cables from the handle bars are also long enough to reach under the tank!

I'm thinking it would look neater under the tank, but would appreciate your views

Thanks John

8
CB500/550 / Re: CB550 rear brake spring bracket
« on: April 02, 2026, 11:38:43 PM »
I've just had a look at my kick start lever, it does seem to have much bigger offset than yours, but it has obviously also hit the brake lever a few times in the past. Although mine came without the brake lever

9
CB500/550 / Re: CB550 rear brake spring bracket
« on: April 02, 2026, 11:14:59 PM »
Hi, mine is mounted on the bolt above where yours is, it's the rear upper engine mounting bolt.
The bottom of the spring hooks onto the inside of the pivot part item 12, in the notch
But mine is a homemade bracket!

10
CB500/550 / Re: CB550 rear brake spring bracket
« on: April 01, 2026, 12:00:37 PM »
I actually bought a kit of second hand parts from Bulgaria which had a spring in it.

I'm surprised they won't deliver to the UK?
Maybe try again as that is the only other one I could find anywhere

11
CB500/550 / Re: CB550 rear brake spring bracket
« on: April 01, 2026, 08:57:31 AM »
Also, Oddjob found this on ebay for me the other day
Return spring, discontinued now, so I would snap this up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/286777387009

12
CB500/550 / Re: CB550 rear brake spring bracket
« on: April 01, 2026, 08:53:08 AM »
Hi, I haven't fitted my kick-start yet, but I've had a quick look on CMSNL and it appears the brake levers are different

CB550F2 Part number:
46500390000

CB550K3 Part number:
46500404670

CMSNL is a great website for Part identification and supply, they have exploded assembly drawings for each version of the Honda models

13
CB500/550 / Re: CB550 rear brake spring bracket
« on: March 31, 2026, 05:36:22 PM »
With switch fitted

14
CB500/550 / CB550 rear brake spring bracket
« on: March 31, 2026, 05:35:23 PM »
Hi all,  I thought I would share a little win!

The bracket for the rear brake switch appears to be discontinued.

I have made one from a standard 1 quid 50 x 50 x 20 bracket from Screwfix.
Drilled out one hole to dia 11 to suit the rear engine mounting.
Drilled the second one to dia 13, cut 25mm off the end and added the slot.

15
CB500/550 / Re: Cb550 rear brake return spring
« on: March 26, 2026, 01:29:30 PM »
Thanks, I've ordered the spring and will make the bracket from a standard one

Pages: [1] 2 3