This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - Ken4004
1
« on: September 13, 2026, 08:30:42 AM »
I have used Redice decals on my bike and they are expensive but good quality, it’s like anything buy cheap buy twice. With the price they are I was very nervous about fitting them but take your time and you’ll be fine.
2
« on: September 03, 2026, 10:27:42 AM »
I do have to apologise for the heavy breathing I sound like Darth Vader
3
« on: September 03, 2026, 10:25:28 AM »
https://youtu.be/JYC-xFpoFAg?is=tcVAimNPixWDAQ_jThis is a link to a video of my 1977 Z1000 which I sold in 2014, really liked this bike but it was heavy and didn’t handle particular well whether it was me or the bike I am not sure but I thought I might wrap my self round a lamp post so decided to sell it on . I particularly liked the Harris exhaust which sounded amazing, for anyone who lives in the Sussex area I used to go out of my way to ride it through the Lewes Tunnel which is very immature but enjoyable. As far as I know the guy I sold it to has still got it and has fitted a set of standard exhausts to it at great expense, I need to go over and see him again . I did say to him if he was considering selling it to let me know as I would love to own it again but don’t tell the wife !
4
« on: September 03, 2026, 09:25:56 AM »
The only issue I have now is I would like to do another restoration but haven’t got the room for another bike and after completing my first restoration don’t want to sell it because it’s a fun bike to ride.
When I first started the restoration quite a few years ago I thought it would be quite straightforward and didn’t realise how hard it can be to find parts . The other issue is because I was still working I didn’t get the time to work on the bike and we all know that it takes many hundreds of hours to complete , it was only when I retired I had to time to complete it and in fact it only took me another 6 months to get it on the road.
My long suffering wife thought it was a complete folly and thought I would never finish it and had visions of me dying first and leaving her the task of dealing with it, great to prove her wrong.
Now I am a great believer in always being able to learn something new from other people and I must say that in general this group has been very supportive and helps spur you on when it gets tough going which I am extremely grateful for and may long it continue.
It would be great to meet up with people from this group in the Sussex and surrounding area so I can put a face to some of the names .
5
« on: September 02, 2026, 08:14:42 PM »
I suspect many people go into bike restoration with rose tinted spectacles. But the fact is, they cost a lot of money to restore. In the world of classic cars the situation is far worse. I think very few people make any money from either. My own view is that if you enjoy restoring it and you can take satisfaction from your hard work as well as knowing that you've saved a classic bike from becoming spare parts, then it's money well spent. Some people throw vast amounts of money away on clothes, gambling, TV, whatever, but at the end of the day restoring bikes actually gives you something , even if it's cost a lot to get there.
I totally agree, with my restoration I probably broke even if you exclude all the hours spent but great sense of achievement and satisfaction thats worth its weight on gold in my opinion. It was I also keeps me out of trouble well thats what the missus says.
6
« on: September 01, 2026, 05:22:05 PM »
if there looking for a project over the winter months.
It would help if I had a cozy garage to work in! 
I had the same issue so I built a log cabin in the garden !
7
« on: September 01, 2026, 10:40:57 AM »
Good morning everyone, I have just been looking through EBay and I have found a part finished project that might be of interest to someone if there looking for a project over the winter months.
8
« on: August 27, 2026, 07:57:54 PM »
I have seen videos concerning making rubber parts and after mixing the rubber solution the next step is too get any air bubbles out of the solution.
This is done by putting the filled mould into a vacuum which over half an hour or so draws all the bubbles out of the rubber solution in the mould.
9
« on: August 26, 2026, 07:43:50 AM »
When you have your new lock fitted, please don't make the same daft mistake as me. Unlocked steering, wheeled bike out of garage, turned steerin to the left and snapped the key which I had left in the lock. Older and wiser??? Nah.
Hi Mickey Very wise words thanks for the advice. Regards Ken
10
« on: August 24, 2026, 07:31:26 PM »
I wonder if it’s worth trying to make one out of a solid piece of Rubber and cut it with a sharp knife.
I did have an idea of making rubber parts using rubber sheet and building it up in layers and using vulcanised rubber adhesive to bond the sheets together. As you’re not actually going to see them it doesn’t really matter what they look like.
I did think about making the fuel tank rubber mounting using this method, what gave me the idea is was a repair I did on a pair of diving fins I repaired using an inner tube to repair the split which didn’t look great but it make a very good repair. I used Black witch adhesive to bond it together which is used to repair wet suits and is a really strong bond.
11
« on: August 24, 2026, 10:30:37 AM »
What do they look like ? Is it a type of grommet ?
12
« on: August 24, 2026, 10:19:07 AM »
Drilling out is pretty easy, basically when you drill into the lock the springs/levers that operate the brass levers fall to bits, this allows the lock to be removed.
The holding rivet usually just levers out, I put an old screwdriver and tapped it into the area between the washer and lock/ frame area. It levered out quite easily.
Ok thanks for the advice Ted
13
« on: August 24, 2026, 08:42:45 AM »
[ Both sides of the key (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
I have never figured out how the key number matches the number on the barrel.
The washer that holds it in just has the manufacturers name the same as the key Regards Dave
Hi Dave Thank you for the info I’ll take a loon when I get a minute. Regards Ken
14
« on: August 24, 2026, 08:32:04 AM »
Hi Bryan
Thank you for the info I’ll take a look into this .
Regards Ken
15
« on: August 23, 2026, 05:48:57 PM »
Hi Dave
Thanks for the information, I am on Copthorne so not too far for me to go pay him a visit.
Regards Ken
|