Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - bbrian66

Pages: [1] 2 3
1
CB500/550 / Re: Carb mounting frame shaft
« on: Today at 08:42:02 PM »
Many thanks both. This all makes sense. I must have broken off the pin when I tapped out the shaft. The bush looks to be OK.
Does the original pin just tap out or does it need drilling?

2
CB500/550 / Carb mounting frame shaft
« on: Today at 07:04:56 PM »
I stripped the throttle bracket mechanism down that's mounted on the large aluminium frame to clean and de-rust it. It's all gone back together fine,  except I cannot see what locates the main shaft that everything sits on. Before stripping  the end float was maybe 1mm - is now a good 8mm and is enough to let everything get out of alignment.
I see the shaft has a large groove in it exactly where it passes through one of the arms on the frame. Does anyone know if it is supposed to be pinned here in some way?

3
CB500/550 / Re: New needles don't fit!
« on: October 10, 2026, 08:31:58 PM »
Great stuff - thanks Oddjob!
I'll do just that. It will be a good while before I'll know any results as I'm still waiting to assemble the engine.

4
CB500/550 / Re: New needles don't fit!
« on: October 10, 2026, 04:21:53 PM »
Edit: both needles are the same o/a diameter, which makes more sense! Don't know where i got that from

5
CB500/550 / Re: New needles don't fit!
« on: October 10, 2026, 04:16:04 PM »
Ok here's a little update. I've found a set of 069a carbs which are of another bike i own but are in a terrible state. I've stripped them down today. The needle is stamped 273004 which seems correct for an 069a carb, according to the book.this needle is faster than the 272304 needle that's in the 022a carb and will not fit into the throttle valve from the 022a.
To my OP, the new needle in the refurb kit still doesn't fit in the throttle valve of the 069a carb so i guess that's an issue I need to take up with the vendor of the kit.
Today's thought: the bare carb bodies of the 022a and 069a look identical. The only identifying marks are casting inside the float chamber that says A-2. This is present in both carbs. The 069a carbs are in a terrible condition,  with lots of corrosion inside the passageways.  The 022a carb bodies are immaculate. The choke levers in the 069a carbs are seriously rusty whereas the 022a choke levers are in really good condition.
So - can i build all the necessary 069a parts into my 022a carb bodies,  using the 022a choke levers and shafts but the 069 throttle valves  along with a decent set of new 069a jets, needles, etc.

6
CB500/550 / Re: New needles don't fit!
« on: October 10, 2026, 12:18:13 PM »
Carbs are all marked 022A. The one needle I've removed is stamped 272304, which looks to be the correct needle for this carb.
I was hoping to use these carbs as they are in really good condition,  but are you saying i should source a correct set of 069A?

7
CB500/550 / Re: New needles don't fit!
« on: October 09, 2026, 11:32:22 PM »
Hi Oddjob
I'll check the needles in the morning. The bike came completely dismantled with lots of parts missing. It's an F2. These carbs came with it. I was going to change them, but they're in really good condition so decided cheapest was to clean them and use them.

8
CB500/550 / New needles don't fit!
« on: October 09, 2026, 03:09:22 PM »
Just opened the new carb refurb kits. The new needles have a step in them exactly half an inch below the lowest of the circlip groves. The needles are all very slightly fatter above the step and won't fit through the throttle valve. Nor will they fit fully into the emulsion tube. (Carbs are 022A)
Have I missed something? Or have I bought a Duff set of refurb kits?

9
CB500/550 / Re: Carb spindle seal
« on: October 09, 2026, 02:17:02 PM »
Hi Dave - that's really impressive. Do you still have the tool? Would you be willing to stamp out a set for me? I'd happily pay.
To be clear,  these are for the choke shaft which is only about 6-7mm dia.

10
CB500/550 / Carb spindle seal
« on: October 09, 2026, 12:45:30 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find the felt seals that go on the butterfly spindles on the carburettors?

I stripped my carbs to clean them. Im now thinking I should not have removed the butterflies or the spindles as some of the tiny felt seals have been damaged or lost in the process.  ARRGH!

11
CB500/550 / Re: 550 tank flap clip
« on: August 20, 2026, 03:36:26 PM »
Thanks DomP - I've bought a couple of short lengths of 1.0mm and 1.5mm from fleabay - I'll see what I make of these when they turn up.

12
CB500/550 / Re: 550 tank flap clip
« on: August 16, 2026, 04:20:07 PM »
Yes that did seem to be an option. Do you happen to know the dia of the wire i'd need?

13
CB500/550 / Re: 550 F2 Tank Badges
« on: August 16, 2026, 04:18:19 PM »
Hi Oddjob - thanks for the reply. I did see these,  but was concerned about three amount of damage. When you say 'come up with a little work' what exactly do you mean? They look pretty scratched.

14
CB500/550 / 550 tank flap clip
« on: August 16, 2026, 03:54:40 PM »
Hi Guys

Does anyone know where I can find the wire spring clip that holds the tank filler flap down? I can't find one anywhere so don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place,  or wether they're just not available.

If not available,  does anyone have suggestions as to what i can do?

Thanks!

15
CB500/550 / 550 F2 Tank Badges
« on: August 16, 2026, 03:52:06 PM »
Hi Guys. I can see this is not a new topic,  but I can't find an answer to my problem so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction:

I need two new badges for the tank on my 550 F2 restoration. Does anyone know how or where I can find a set?

Thanks!

Pages: [1] 2 3