Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - RickNC30

Pages: [1]
1
I don`t have much of a record left from those days before iphones and obsessive documentation but I found a snap of the trusty F2 in the middle of Death Valley -



- on the side of the information point/emergency phone somebody had scratched `MUFC` into the concrete - don`t you just love the English abroad...!

2
CB350/400 / Re: Rick Oliver's 400/4
« on: March 19, 2026, 09:47:51 AM »
I found some pictures of the initial build of bike No. 1, before I went full cafe racer with the styling - with hindsight I almost like this version better...







Can anybody remember who made those rear footrest brackets...? I seem to think they were something Italian, maybe Tarozzi...?

3
Lings are still there but they have parted from Honda (after around 50 years) and now hold Triumph and KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas franchises...

4
I thought we were the generation who could do mental arithmetic, Ted...

Geoff Duke - 1955, Barry Sheene - 1976, therefore I`m 71.

Not Lings, Dave - it was C J Ball in Norwich.

I think one of my former colleagues told me recently that both the HGB and Lings Honda dealerships have closed down recently...?

As for getting another SOHC, my `currently in the garage` list is nearly as long as yours (4 VFRs and 3 Kawasaki triples plus two more recent classic strokers under construction) so I`ll have to sell something first...

5
Funny that, I used to have a customer called John Webley - right pain in the ass he was...  ;D

Keeping it cryptic for you, Ted - I was born the year Geoff Duke won his last world championship and I was 21 the year Barry Sheene won his first...

6
Good evening, all...

Rick here from rural Norfolk - geographically in the middle of the Broads but temporally still in the middle of the 1970s (that`s the village, not me).

Long term Honda loyalist, my first one was a secondhand CB72 in 1971, currently in possession of one car, four bikes and two lawnmowers wearing the badge - oh, and I also worked for them for 12 years before I retired.

I`ve  been mostly messing about with V4s since I bought my first VFR750F in 1991 but I do have some inline four history.

There were the two CB400Fs whose incidental appearance on the forum has brought me here but I have one more stab at forum credibility which is that in 1983 I took a CB750F2 for a 6000 mile road trip across the States and Canada. I bought the bike in Nashua NH, rode up to see some far flung family in Ontario then back down the east coast and across Route 66 to end up in California, so I have SOHC`d to Niagara Falls, the Blue Ridge Mountains, Death Valley and the Grand Canyon and ridden the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to San Diego to Seattle and back again - happy days, and more happily still the bike never missed a beat...

7
CB350/400 / Re: Rick Oliver's 400/4
« on: March 17, 2026, 10:39:09 AM »
Those are actually two different bikes -

Number one bike (black frame) was built around 1977 as a project to keep me sane while serving a six month driving ban incurred due to an excess of youthful exuberance on my Kawasaki S3 400 triple.

It was an original `footrests on the swingarm` model bought cheaply from a local dealership as a non runner - a good investment as it only took me around 30 minutes to find and fix the short in the wiring loom!

The engine had a Yoshi 460 piston kit and race cam, head ported by John Milligan (he`s long gone now, does anyone on here remember the eccentric Manxman who used to run the BFRC...?), Piper exhaust and Lucas RITA ignition, the alloy tank was by Mead Speed, seat home made by grafting a lump of chemical foam onto a stock seat pan, carving it to a shape based roughly on 7R/G50 lines, skinning with GRP and upholstering, I can`t remember now who made the ugly rearset kit.

In its final version it had twin front discs with lugs welded on the right fork leg to take another set of stock brake parts.

Well spotted that man on the Dresda swingarm and S&W shocks, those star shaped wheels were Japanese Daytona brand - if you fancy a pair you can now buy them again as production has recently been restarted in conjunction with Webike Japan to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their introduction in 1972...



I sold that one in 1979 when I bought my first brand new bike, a bright red Kawasaki Z500, but hung on to the tank and seat for future reference.

Number two bike was built around 1982, similar engine spec but without the race cam, Lumenition instead of RITA and the Yoshi `spaghetti` exhaust system.

The chassis was a triumph of what Cook Neilson and Kevin Cameron used to call `parts bin engineering` - the front forks and reverse Comstar rear wheel were CB400N, discs and calipers from a CX500, front wheel was CM250T (18" instead of the Superdream`s 19"), the front mudguard came off a CB250RS and it all bolted together without a single modification or custom spacer.

The lay down rear shocks were just a way of getting more suppleness and rear wheel travel and followed the then current trend on pre-monoshock GP bikes. The half fairing was a Norvil Commando replica if I remember rightly.

I`m beyond the `three score and ten` mark now but still haven`t cured myself of these Cafe Racer tendencies - this is the NC30 that I`m currently working on...



Rick


Pages: [1]