Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - cbnovascotia

Pages: [1]
1
New Member Introductions / Re: Noob to this forum
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:00:08 AM »
kaceyk2,
Crazy tale about almost being Canadian, EH? I'll have to look up a photo of Niagara Falls frozen! I've been there once, it's a total tourist trap now. I was 20yrs and in a chevette full of friends. We couldn't afford to park, luckily there was slow moving traffic. So we took turns jumping out and running to the rail to take a peek. Parking fair would have dented the gin fund.
The turning fall leaves are incredible on the east coast, fall days may get a little chilled, but the best biking weather.
I see in your profile 'bike polisher'. Do you clean and detail bikes professionally? Or buff and polish aluminum forks,covers? I own and operate an auto detailing business. Motorcycles only account for a small %. I wetsand and buff the parts on my bikes, I enjoy that very much. People think it's crazy spending 1 to 2 hours on bench polishing an aluminum carburetor bowl! Thirty year old aluminum parts that have been in Nova Scotia are in rough shape. The roads are heavily salted in the winter plus the salty air in all seasons. Most old aluminum parts are in need of a 600/1000/1500/2500/3000 grit wetsand before a high speed compounding. People here have no clue how much work is involved. They can stick to their financed, midlife crisis, overchromed cruisers. Do you know them too? They have the Harley's, Vulcan's or any type of candy-looking cruiser and spend more time putting their clothing together, to look the part, then doing any maintenance on the actual bike. They'll spot you on an older bike and talk to you for an hour about their brother that had a moped in the '60's. You're just trying to get back on the road after a quick fill up and oil check. There are a ton of those fellas and their matching leather wives on the road over here. They gather at coffee shops and talk all night.Good resale though, on their low km bike!
Hopefully you can relate, otherwise, I might just be taken as a bitter biker that would like to see more appreciation for the older stuff!
-Trent

2
New Member Introductions / Re: Noob to this forum
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
Hello, glad to have found this forum, it's a wealth of info! My name is Trent and reside in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm currently rebuilding a 1973 CB750k3 engine to one day(year) to be put into a cafe style custom. In the past, restored a 1972 triumph T100R and a 1977 kz1000a which is still my summer runner. I've only had to do topend rebuilds on  those bikes, this CB is a complete teardown and rebuild. Please have patience with my basic questions and input! Hope you'll accept a fellow CB enthusiast from across the pond! Cheers! - Trent
 

3
CB750 / Re: smashed cases
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
Great suggestion K2-K6....i'll relay that info to the welder.thanks.

4
CB750 / Re: smashed cases
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
Many thanks to all about my K3 cases, i am going to get the damage one repaired. As to Spitfire's comment about the oil feeds,good advice, I'll make sure all is masked up before beading. How do i post photos and list my bikes on my profile?

5
CB750 / Re: smashed cases
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:52:54 AM »
yeah, it does seem like a road to endless problems to mix n' match. A highly recommended welder offered to fix it and glass bead the cases for about $100 Cd. He probably bead the barrels and head for another $25. I'll leave it at that! Thanks for your input kaceyk2. I'll figure out how to put up some pics soon of what I'm working with, here across the pond.

6
CB750 / Re: smashed cases
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:04:41 AM »
Thanks for the input. The k3 engine case that i want to repair is split, guts are still in the two halves, and do have the missing piece, under the gears. I do have decent 1977 and 1978 cases. kaceyk2 mentioned the gears/crank from a k3 could be swapped into one of these?Are all 1969-1978 cb750k engine cases the same? it's strange that the two k3's that i aquired had the same damage.

7
CB750 / smashed cases
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »
 Hello, just new to the forum, I'm writing from Halifax, Nova Scotia,Canada. I'm building a 1973 cb750k3 engine. I have two to work with, one has had an 836cc bore kit put in, with a larger cam, bigger valve springs, 90 psi comp. in all cylinders. The other seems stock with 160 psi comp. in all cyl. Both have damaged cases, in front of the sprocket, smashed opened from the chain snapping. One has a hole about 1.5"x 1.5", the other case has a much bigger hole. Both engines are tore down and the cases split. Should I...
(a) repair the less damage case by a professional welder
(b) look for cases with no damage, if so, must the cases be from another k3?
Any input is greatly appreciated! The game plan is to have a fully rebuilt 836cc in a cafe style cb, using a stock frame.....years from now!

Pages: [1]