Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - scotia_steve

Pages: [1] 2
1
CB750 / Re: headlight conversion
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
I turned mine upside down - will that work  ??? ;D

2
CB750 / Re: Honda and its laquer
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
I stripped mine, painted in silver.

Now stripping again as they look better polished :)

3
CB750 / Re: Forks and genernal CB750 K6 rennovation....
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:03:55 PM »
I agree, modern petrol, or gas as the yanks call it, does go off a lot quicker than it used to.

When new, first Hondas to need draining if stood were CX500 & CB750/900 twin cam(79+) and it was usualy anything over 8 days drain the carbs, what was in the tank stayed OK though. Never did figure out why just drained them in the workshop on pre- customer checkover

It was like night and day when I drained - started really quickly!

4
CB750 / Re: Forks and genernal CB750 K6 rennovation....
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
Seems to be the same part numbers for the front end.

All back together now, but I decided I don't like the paint on the forks anymore and will polish :)

The fuel is the issue. It seems to separate very quickly. Drained it and it worked a treat!

Also put w connectors in the front headlamp loom to the switch - much better than Halfords bullets!

5
CB750 / Re: headlight conversion
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »
On my 750 there is a screw you can adjust to make the headlight point the other way. No idea if that helps :)

6
CB750 / Re: key number
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »
That's how I got mine - really easy and saved trying to identify the key online...

7
CB750 / Re: Fork Silver Paint
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »
That was one colour that looked close. I like the polished look but I'll give painting another go - first colour looked wrong so back to bare metal now!

8
CB750 / Re: Fork Silver Paint
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
Alloy wheel paint's an ok match on my 500/4

I was looking at that and it seemed pretty close....
 ;D

9
CB750 / Re: Fork Silver Paint
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »
Painted on mine. A kind of matt silver that seems to be original.

10
CB750 / Fork Silver Paint
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:19 AM »
I've now done a good bit of work on the CB750 and for the life of me have no idea where to find a good match for the silver fork legs.

I'm looking for help on a UK source for a primer and silver to match the original on the forks as best as I can from a spray can.

I've had really good success with Plasti-cote blacks on the steering tem and instrument cluster but the silver is eluding me :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

11
CB750 / Re: Forks and genernal CB750 K6 rennovation....
« on: November 29, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
Sorry mate, you can't get much farther from Gloucester so i cant pop round to help!

Careful when tightening the fork tube clamps on the top yoke---there is supposed to be a shaped washer in the gap to stop you over tightening and breaking the ally  but it regularly goes missing.

I think that's the one that's still there - funny edge to it?

Any idea of torque? This is from a CB550 manual which I believe uses the same fork and stem components....


12
CB750 / Re: Forks and genernal CB750 K6 rennovation....
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:00:30 AM »
Ok, replaced the head bearings - there is a 1mm difference in height so the forks have to be raised slightly to fit correctly in the top yoke but I figure that cant be too bad... The old races were totally worn out and I needed to use a small blow torch to remove the old race!

Taken the caliper off to paint with heat resistant engine enamel gloss black, painted the top yoke as it was looking a bit sorry for itself and then will rebuild next week!

All this for a fork knock which was most likely the head bearings it seems. Spent the best part of

13
CB750 / Re: Replacement Honda Exhausts
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »
Mine cost

14
CB750 / Re: Forks and genernal CB750 K6 rennovation....
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:41:59 AM »
Decent bike Nice car, where are you?

Dave the 500/550 seems more "tolerant" of bad petrol than other models, must be the best to but!!!

In Edinburgh. Lot's of nice roads closeby!  :)

15
CB750 / Re: Forks and genernal CB750 K6 rennovation....
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »

Just noticed the steering head sits in a "notch" straight ahead - just ordered some taper bearings to replace!


That's an MOT failure so you're doing the right thing.
[/quote]

I didn't know that! Lucky I'm doing the job. It's a stunning bike - just doing the bits and pieces now that need doing :)


Pages: [1] 2