Honda-SOHC
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
News:
Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)
- sorry it's taken so long to fix
Home
Forum
Help
Gallery
Login
Register
Donations
Aladdin's Cave
Ash's Dropbox
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB750
»
750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder? (Read 4104 times)
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
on:
January 04, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »
Hi experts,
I have decided to refurbish my rear brake master cylinder. However, having removed the awkwardly stuck circlip, I can't get inside it.
As you can see from the picture below, the circlip is out. I’m guessing (from the exploded parts diagram) that the 'this bit' marked in the picture should ease out (under pressure from the spring behind it?) and is only held in place by the circlip. However, it's not moving after some very gentle persuasion and WD40 soaking.
Any hints or tips on how to progress or explanations about what I’m doing wrong?
Thank you,
D.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
Bryanj
Grogu
Posts: 12561
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #1 on:
January 05, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »
gentle application of heat
Logged
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #2 on:
January 05, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
Thanks Bryan, will do.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
onethumb
SOHC Expert
Posts: 340
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #3 on:
January 05, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
Had the same problem as you. I got through it by wire brushing it then soaking it in wd40, putting a nut on the thread then putting that in the vice and using a bit of heat from a bit of a distance as bryanj said and moving it back and forth till it freed up. Took about 5 minutes.
Good luck.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Logged
"20 in a 40 is not safe driving"
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #4 on:
January 05, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »
Thanks Onethumb,
I have now succeeded. It was as you both described: scrape away the old crap that gathers in there; leave soaking in WD40 overnight; dry and have another scrape; hold in the vice (gently); warm up with by butane burner(not too hot); then I used a claw hammer to lever gently in the plunger. It came away really easily, so hardly any leverage needed (thankfully).
Now for the next stage...
Cheers both,
D.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
Bryanj
Grogu
Posts: 12561
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #5 on:
January 06, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »
Next stage is finding a seal kit then taking out the mortgage to buy it!! Don't think anybody does aftermarket for those
Logged
hairygit
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 2708
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #6 on:
January 06, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »
CMS has genuine in stock, 55 euros though!
Logged
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!
Bryanj
Grogu
Posts: 12561
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #7 on:
January 06, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
Plus postage as well
Logged
hairygit
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 2708
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #8 on:
January 06, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
Okay Bryan! But we did the first bit, found them! Now you need to decide, sell a kidney or re mortgage the house!
Logged
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!
Bryanj
Grogu
Posts: 12561
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #9 on:
January 06, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
CB750FA (77) 750 SUPER SPORT, JPN, VIN# CB750F-2100011 TO CB750F-2111489
CB750FA (78) 750 SUPER SPORT, JPN, VIN# CB750F-2200001
GL1000A (78) GOLD WING, JPN, VIN# GL1-4000001
GL1000A (79) GOLD WING, JPN, VIN# GL1-4100003
43530-410-305 £42 at Dave Silver but out of stock, worth trying your local dealer as most of them deal with a big firm Leeds way(cant remember the name, maybe Hi Level)) and the have a huge catalogue you look up by bike, I got a pack of 5 caliper seals for a 1200 wing for less than the price of 1 honda but only by cross refering the sizes
«
Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:02:15 PM by Bryanj
»
Logged
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #10 on:
January 06, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
Thanks all.
Mine was ordered (43530-410-305 from DSS) before I started the work and is sitting next to me as I type, pending the next phase, installation.
Maybe my order emptied the stock... apologies to anyone else out there needing one in a hurry!
D.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
onethumb
SOHC Expert
Posts: 340
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #11 on:
January 06, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
I'm hoping mine is ok. It looked fine when I stripped it and at the price they are I thought I'd take a punt. Nothing to loose.
Haven't put any fluid in it yet though.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Logged
"20 in a 40 is not safe driving"
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
Re: 750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?
«
Reply #12 on:
January 06, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
Fingers crossed for you.
Cheers,
D.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB750
»
750 F2 - Seized or awkward brake master cylinder?