Honda-SOHC
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
News:
Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)
- sorry it's taken so long to fix
Home
Forum
Help
Gallery
Login
Register
Donations
Aladdin's Cave
Ash's Dropbox
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB750
»
Polishing Kits
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Down
Author
Topic: Polishing Kits (Read 18414 times)
[JP]
Guest
Polishing Kits
«
on:
October 31, 2005, 10:15:58 PM »
Hi there!!
Just a quick update....got myself playing with the polishing kit and the carbs...and ended like this...
looks good hum?
Don
«
Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:19:23 AM by SteveD CB500F
»
Logged
jimshea
Guest
RE: Polishing Kits
«
Reply #1 on:
November 02, 2005, 10:10:21 AM »
JP,
How exactly did you polish these? What did you use?
Jim.
«
Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:19:33 AM by SteveD CB500F
»
Logged
[JP]
Guest
Re: Polishing Kits
«
Reply #2 on:
November 02, 2005, 11:17:30 AM »
Hi!!
I've used a polishing kit that I bought from ebay...I was a bit apprensive on buying it as I have never used something like that, but it did came with instructions on how to use it.
basicly it comes with 3 different compound bars and 3 different mops.
You use each mop with each compound.
you start with one..then the other and a last one for the mirror finish.
I have a small dremel that I put the small bits on the end for small parts and use a normal drill for big parts like the gearbox case and similar.
To give the carb that finish....was pure luck..I was going to polish them but half way through the job I found it would be difficult to polish it, so after I gave a slight polish on them I brushed with the dremel and a small iron brush that I bough in B&Q...and it ended like that.
SammyB - Many thanks for the bolts!!they arrived today.I'm going to fit them today and put all the camshaft together....but this time I'll take 200% attention to make sure i don't brake them again!!
Once again...many thanks.
«
Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:19:50 AM by SteveD CB500F
»
Logged
admin
Guest
Re: Polishing Kits
«
Reply #3 on:
November 02, 2005, 01:37:35 PM »
Hi every one, I've moved a couple of posts to start a new thread.
«
Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:20:03 AM by SteveD CB500F
»
Logged
JonnyB
SOHC Pro
Posts: 546
Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #4 on:
November 02, 2005, 01:46:46 PM »
I hope mine come out this good, I've just orded one yesterday, I'll let you know how my first attempt comes out.
I got mine from this eBay shop
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Polishing-Kits-and-Accessories
Logged
Regards and Ride Safe!!
Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case - K100/1200 hybrid
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.
John
https://batchscan.co.uk/
[JP]
Guest
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #5 on:
November 02, 2005, 01:52:45 PM »
Yep!!
that's the guys I bought mine from.
The instructions are quite good.
However I was a bit upset this Sunday when I went to the bike show at the NEC and I saw the same polishing kit for around 10quid.....
I bought this one...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Pc-Polishing-Kit-for-Brass-Copper-Iron-Steel-Alloy_W0QQitemZ8010292683QQcategoryZ25644QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
and this one...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Piece-Mini-Felt-Polishing-Kit_W0QQitemZ8010297003QQcategoryZ25644QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
I'm expecting to do an excellent job on the other parts...I can't wait to see the cam casing shinning!
Logged
JonnyB
SOHC Pro
Posts: 546
Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #6 on:
November 02, 2005, 06:25:36 PM »
The question is, how do you keep it shiny, Aluminum is well know for tarnishing quickly,:( and I don't fancy pulling the engine out every weekend to give the cam cover a quick polish:blink:
Logged
Regards and Ride Safe!!
Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case - K100/1200 hybrid
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.
John
https://batchscan.co.uk/
[JP]
Guest
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #7 on:
November 03, 2005, 08:25:35 PM »
I think they advise about one product to protect it....bagunsol?don
Logged
JonnyB
SOHC Pro
Posts: 546
Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #8 on:
November 04, 2005, 10:26:38 AM »
My polishing kit came this morning, and as I work from home it will be down tools early and into the shed. I'll post a before and after photos later.
If you want to see were I got it from
http://www.polishing-kits.co.uk/
it's the same guy as mentioned before, but his site has more help and stuff.
Let's get busy
Logged
Regards and Ride Safe!!
Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case - K100/1200 hybrid
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.
John
https://batchscan.co.uk/
[JP]
Guest
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #9 on:
November 04, 2005, 05:27:56 PM »
So..
how is the polishing going?
have you manage to polish your finger nails?:laugh:
I want some pictures!! I
Logged
JonnyB
SOHC Pro
Posts: 546
Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #10 on:
November 04, 2005, 06:10:59 PM »
The Kit I bought convert a bench grinder into a buffing/polishing tool.
I need to make a new bench to put the grinder on as I can't get the cam cover under the wheel properly.
I'll have some pics tomorrow and Ill post them up.
Logged
Regards and Ride Safe!!
Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case - K100/1200 hybrid
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.
John
https://batchscan.co.uk/
JonnyB
SOHC Pro
Posts: 546
Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #11 on:
November 06, 2005, 11:39:05 AM »
Bum 'oles.
Just to let you all know, If you get the polishing kit to convert a Bench Grinder into a polishing wheel, make sure you get a powerful enough grinder. I bought a cheap one cost 15 quid, but it's only 150W, when you offer up the job to the wheel it stops it.
Any one else done this conversion and what power is the grinder.
Logged
Regards and Ride Safe!!
Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case - K100/1200 hybrid
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.
John
https://batchscan.co.uk/
[JP]
Guest
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #12 on:
November 07, 2005, 10:29:51 AM »
hi..
I don't have a bench grinder, I use a dremel that goes up to 35K rpm, I fix the part I want to polish with some clamps to the bench and I work on it.
I've only been doing smal parts, for the casing I have a normal drill, but I haven't tried it yet...
Logged
jimshea
Guest
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #13 on:
November 07, 2005, 10:30:49 AM »
John,
Are you in the UK, if so which part? I am in Surrey.
Jim.
Logged
JonnyB
SOHC Pro
Posts: 546
Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
Re:Polishing Kits
«
Reply #14 on:
November 07, 2005, 05:44:39 PM »
Finally got something polished, there's no stopping me now.
Got hold of a 375w bench grinder, from a local tool shop, ex window display model, good price.
Not bad for a first go. Don't get me wrong, you can't replace a good ally polisher for a really pro job, it makes you appreciate the hard work a professional polisher does.
Jim, Scampton, Lincolnshire, home of the Red Arrows, Yep the same John:P
Post edited by: JonnyB, at: 2005/11/07 17:45
Logged
Regards and Ride Safe!!
Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case - K100/1200 hybrid
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.
John
https://batchscan.co.uk/
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Up
« previous
next »
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB750
»
Polishing Kits