Honda-SOHC
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
News:
Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)
- sorry it's taken so long to fix
Home
Forum
Help
Gallery
Login
Register
Donations
Aladdin's Cave
Ash's Dropbox
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB350/400
»
Fitting a new wiring loom
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Down
Author
Topic: Fitting a new wiring loom (Read 7467 times)
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Fitting a new wiring loom
«
on:
February 03, 2023, 07:35:29 PM »
Hi,
The wiring on my bike is pretty horrible.
Apart from the correct connectors the PO has used chocolate block connectors, blue scotchlock connectors and some very non Honda bullets.
There are extra bits here and there, so having thought about it I have taken the plunge and bought a new loom from DSS.
So the first question is...
PO has replaced the rectifier at some stage and it doesn't have the same cable colours as the original.
Also he's cut off the 6 way connector off the loom and added some non stand bullets to connect loom to rectifier.
The new loom comes with a (5 populated) 6way connector. Green Yellow Yellow Yellow and Red (wiring diagram says red/white but whatever)
I can't find a source of the correct opposite (male) connector, but the bike came with some boxes of bits and guess what I found, yes indeed, a compatible 6 way male connector.
I've just ordered some 6.3mm male spades so all should be good.
Still awake?
The rectifier wiring colours are Black White White White Red.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which Yellow on the loom goes to which White on the rectifier but could someone confirm please?
Many thanks for your expertise and perseverance!
Apologies for the ridiculously long winded question!
Logged
McCabe-Thiele (Ted)
Grogu
Posts: 8622
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #1 on:
February 03, 2023, 08:30:30 PM »
Too late for you now but I avoided the DS loom for my 400 as some of the wires are not the same colour as the original.
.
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/
.
I bought one from here in 2020 all colours as original & at the time it was a tad cheaper they do 500 ones as well.
Cant help with your colour question about the rectifier with certainty - but I think you are right.
Cojycat do pretty much all the connectors including the multi block connectors.
.
https://kojaycat.co.uk/
«
Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:34:37 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted)
»
Logged
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556
Oddjob
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 4735
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #2 on:
February 03, 2023, 10:09:58 PM »
Correct on the colour wiring question, any yellow to any white is fine. Black is almost certainly green and of course red to red sounds correct.
Didn't know Electrex did looms Ted, I'll have a look at them although my old 550 loom is in good nick I've sourced a NOS 550 loom instead.
Logged
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #3 on:
February 03, 2023, 10:41:42 PM »
Thanks guys.
All useful information.
Onwards and upwards
Logged
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #4 on:
February 05, 2023, 01:08:14 PM »
Another question.
The new wiring loom has a plastic "sock" for the rear connectors to the brake light and indicators.
Is this "sock" supposed to locate up through the rear frame above the rear mudguard? Anyone got a picture?
My old loom didn't have one.
Many thanks
Logged
McCabe-Thiele (Ted)
Grogu
Posts: 8622
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #5 on:
February 05, 2023, 01:25:49 PM »
Do you mean this one?
.
rear lower loom
by
Macabe Thiele
, on Flickr
Logged
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #6 on:
February 05, 2023, 01:29:15 PM »
Thanks for three-ply Ted but no it's the "sock" or boot that contains the connectors for the rear light, brake light etc
Your bike looks a real beauty!
Logged
McCabe-Thiele (Ted)
Grogu
Posts: 8622
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #7 on:
February 05, 2023, 01:35:10 PM »
If it's not this one the other one sits under the seat iirc just reaches the plastic section of the rear mudguard.
Again not my bike - it's what I used when fitting my loom.
this one
by
Macabe Thiele
, on Flickr
«
Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 01:37:56 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted)
»
Logged
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #8 on:
February 05, 2023, 01:40:34 PM »
Cheers Ted.
Thanks for that.
I was really trying to work out how far to pull the loom back as the brake light wiring has been cut too short by the PO.
I'll have to rewire the light cluster.
Logged
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #9 on:
February 10, 2023, 05:13:16 PM »
Hi all
I've fitted the loom and have come across a problem that I don't know how to fix.
If I turn the ignition on and set the light switch to P or H I don't get a front parking light, a tail light or Speedo and Tacho lights.
Headlight works as expected and I can get a parking light and tail light when the ignition key is turned past the on position to P.
Anyone come across this before?
Would I be right in thinking I need to make up the lead indicated below?
Its on some diagrams and not others.
Many thanks
Tim
Logged
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #10 on:
February 10, 2023, 05:30:12 PM »
PS And if Ido need to fit this where on the loom/wiring are the connectors?
Many thanks in advance.
Tim
Logged
McCabe-Thiele (Ted)
Grogu
Posts: 8622
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #11 on:
February 10, 2023, 05:55:47 PM »
Difficult to diagnose elctrical issues remotely but............. did the lights all work as they should before you fitted the new loom thus eliminating a switch problem?
Have you changed the fuse box - I would ould check the fuse box & fuses for continuity.
I fitted the DS cheaper fuse box & had to re=solder a dry joint on the back.
Logged
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #12 on:
February 10, 2023, 06:49:27 PM »
Hi Ted
yes everything worked ok before fitting the loom.
I've checked thew fuse box and all three fuses are ok and get power, its not been changed.
Logged
McCabe-Thiele (Ted)
Grogu
Posts: 8622
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #13 on:
February 10, 2023, 07:58:16 PM »
Have you checked the terminals at the back of the fuse box you can have a live feed & on the output side but are the wires at the back of the box where they are soldered on making a connection? I would then check the feed from the fuse box to the switch following the colours on the circuit diagram along the loom.
Logged
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556
Multiman
SOHC Member
Posts: 169
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
«
Reply #14 on:
February 10, 2023, 08:39:02 PM »
Hi Ted
I haven't changed the fusebox and from what I have tested it's getting power and passing it on correctly the query I have is about should I make up the connection I pointed out in the wiring diagram.
I think I'll call it a day for now and resume in the morning after sleeping on it.
Thanks for your input as always
Cheers
Tim
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Up
« previous
next »
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB350/400
»
Fitting a new wiring loom