Author Topic: Advice for a grease gun that works on the old honda type nipples.  (Read 1663 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8627
    • View Profile
Over the decades I somehow accumulated about three or four manual grease guns - all of them would work after a fashion.
They all had one  common characteristic in that they wasted one way or another about 75% of the grease that was loaded into them.
As the number of grease nipples on cars fell to close to zero about ten years ago I binned the lot as they would leave a wormcast of grease sometimes emptying the gun in an act of spite.
I only needed to grease the drive gates once a year so I bought a cartridge type gun that inherited the same wasteful characteristics. It came with the standard end connection that will not work on these old Honda type nipples.
No instructions came with the gun - loading the cartridge was a messy nightmare - it's never really been any good.

Looking at some previous posts for this topic I think I need a K type nipple adapter - more importantly I need a grease gun that will actually work. I've seen mention of the brand Wanner but the price range looks hefty.

Can anyone recommend a manual gun that works & a supplier of the right nipple adapter. Links would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

Does this look like a suitable adapter? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165560796579
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 01:23:39 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Bryanj

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 12564
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a grease gun that works on the old honda type nipples.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 02:54:42 AM »
Ted, did i not drill and tap the long bolt to take standard 6mm thread grease nipples?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8627
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a grease gun that works on the old honda type nipples.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 09:42:44 AM »
Ted, did i not drill and tap the long bolt to take standard 6mm thread grease nipples?

No it has the press fit type, there might have been a middle grease nipple that is the standard round profile type on the swing arm iirc.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 09:54:18 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556