Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)- sorry it's taken so long to fix
Different oils can produce more/less clunking. I haven't noticed my 400 to clunk any more then many other motorcycles I have owned. I did have an experience last year where I changed oil and used full synthetic. It was TERRIBLE for clunking and would seize the clutch if the bike wasn't run for a couple of days. Put regular oil back in and the clunking was much reduced and the seizing disappeared.
If when you roll the bike forward gently whilst popping it into gear does it still do it? If so there’s more adjustment in the clutch. Also, maybe the chain just needs a bit of slack taking out of it, that often allows a bit of lash at the gearbox end and a clonk when putting it in first. One of my VFR’s does it but if you roll it gently, just a couple of inches or as I say just tighten the chain to what it should be it’s absolutely fine and snicks in beautifully.Have a go at that and report back. First gear clonk is dead common as Bryan mentioned but you can dial a certain amount out with a bit of a methodical fiddle.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is a noisy first gear engagement the norm on a CB400F or something? Even after I fitted a 'new' second hand clutch that was way better than the one I was replacing during an extensive rebuild it was soon back to that loud clunk when engaged, sometimes more quietly or louder than other times. could it be just me? Suggestions?
What condition were the cush drive rubbers in George when you replaced the clutch? My 400 would clunk going into first from neutral and would sometimes clunk going into other gears as well. When I rebuilt the Flying Banana (aka Rat Bike) I checked the clutch cush drive on that and it was horrendous the amount of play on the clutch basket. I replaced the rubbers with a set I bought from Max and no clunk since👍
Quote from: Laverdaroo on March 21, 2025, 05:40:12 PMIf when you roll the bike forward gently whilst popping it into gear does it still do it? If so there’s more adjustment in the clutch. Also, maybe the chain just needs a bit of slack taking out of it, that often allows a bit of lash at the gearbox end and a clonk when putting it in first. One of my VFR’s does it but if you roll it gently, just a couple of inches or as I say just tighten the chain to what it should be it’s absolutely fine and snicks in beautifully.Have a go at that and report back. First gear clonk is dead common as Bryan mentioned but you can dial a certain amount out with a bit of a methodical fiddle.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy VFR does that same thing Roo and is always a good indication the drive chain needs adjusting. The VFR does seem to be very gentle on drive chains unlike my old 250RSA that appeared to eat a drive chain for lunch!