Author Topic: Cleaning/polishing/protection  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Dolomite_

  • SOHC Member
  • Posts: 144
    • View Profile
Cleaning/polishing/protection
« on: January 25, 2026, 09:22:20 PM »
After being sat for few months and me not giving it a good enough clean before moth balling it for the winter my 400 four is looking a little dirty and a few spots have appeared on the chrome and exhausts.

What does everyone use for cleaning and them protection?

I initially just used some car shampoo, autosol and AC-50, are they all still a good shout for older bikes?

Has anyone used anything in particular to help reduce speckles of rust on chrome work?

Offline Bryanj

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 12562
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning/polishing/protection
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2026, 10:36:10 PM »
I have been using autosol since late 60's dont get much older!

Offline TrickyMicky

  • SOHC Pro
  • Posts: 558
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning/polishing/protection
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2026, 09:08:08 AM »
Solvol is fairly abrasive, that's whi it does such a good job on alloy. I would only use it very gently on small rust dots on chrome.  I use a generous dose of Zip Wax shampoo for washing, using a very soft bristled brush, hose off, leather. Then leave on prop stand to let remaining water run off. I'm fortunate in having a small compressor, so I use the blowgun at about 35PSI to remove any hidden drops of water. I then give the bike a run long enough to get the exhaust system really hot and dry on the inside.  For polishing I have always used Turtle Wax for paintwork and chrome.

Offline Yetanotherbike

  • SOHC Associate
  • Posts: 70
  • Too many projects, not enough time
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning/polishing/protection
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2026, 09:55:18 AM »
I agree with TrickyMicky, Solvol is great for alloy but I wouldn't use it on chrome as it's probably too abrasive for that. I tend to use zip wax or Maquiers for paintwork. I've never thought of blowing excess water off with an air gun before, great idea!
Honda CB400F2 (yellow)
Triumph Daytona 995i
Honda CBF500
180 Laverda Jota
Laverda 750 Formula S
Kawasaki 900 Z1A
Morini 3 1/2 Sport
BSA C15
MV Agusta 125 1959 (project)
Honda CB400/4 F2 (project)
Saab 900 Turbo
Saab 96v4 Rally replica
Audi 100 Coupe S

Offline Orcade-Ian

  • SOHC Master
  • Posts: 1362
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Cleaning/polishing/protection
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2026, 11:01:40 AM »
I find that the tiny spots more or less disappear over time with ACF 50.  For drying off I use a hot air blower - bloody powerful, just make sure you have a tight hold of the nozzle before you turn it on!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ian
1953 BSA Golden Flash 650 - still a basket case
1960 Norton Model 50 Featherbed 350
1960 Ducati Elite 200 (nearing completion)
1972 Honda CB 350/4
1975 Honda CB 550/4 F1
1976 Honda CB 400/4 F1
2020 Honda C125 Super Cub
2026 Honda ADV 350

Offline Dolomite_

  • SOHC Member
  • Posts: 144
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning/polishing/protection
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2026, 08:18:57 PM »
TrickyMicky Yetanotherbike. What would you recommend on the chrome and exhaust for the small rust spots?

Offline Yetanotherbike

  • SOHC Associate
  • Posts: 70
  • Too many projects, not enough time
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning/polishing/protection
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2026, 10:52:20 PM »
My thought is, no matter how small the spot of rust, if it's rusty, the chrome layer is no more. No amount of polishing with anything is going to bring that back. However, you can just keep on top of the surrounding area, hopefully to prevent the spread. I would use a more subtle polish, something more like a liquid polish that doesn't feel gritty. Everytime you use a polish on anything, you are removing a microscopic amount of the surface material, be it chrome or paint. On my bikes, On chromework I rarely use a polish, I prefer to wash it and wipe it over with WD40 or similar.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2026, 05:04:08 PM by Yetanotherbike »
Honda CB400F2 (yellow)
Triumph Daytona 995i
Honda CBF500
180 Laverda Jota
Laverda 750 Formula S
Kawasaki 900 Z1A
Morini 3 1/2 Sport
BSA C15
MV Agusta 125 1959 (project)
Honda CB400/4 F2 (project)
Saab 900 Turbo
Saab 96v4 Rally replica
Audi 100 Coupe S

Offline Otis

  • SOHC Member
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning/polishing/protection
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2026, 02:31:35 PM »
My thought is, no matter how small the spot of rust, if it's rusty, the chrome layer is no more. No amount of polishing with anything is going to bring that back. However, you can just keep on top of the surrounding area, hopefully to prevent the spread. I would use a more subtle polish, something more like a liquid polish that doesn't feel gritty. Everytime you use a polish on anything, you are removing a microscopic amount of the surface material, be it chrome or paint. On my bikes, On chromework I rarely use a polish, I prefer to wash it and wipe it over with WD40 or similar.

I completely agree. Even the tiniest spot of rust is evidence that the finish has been compromised. The joys of living in the UK hey!!
Graham

1972 Honda CB350F
1997 Ducati ST2