Author Topic: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003  (Read 914 times)

Offline Peter N

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« on: July 30, 2026, 04:04:54 PM »
Hi All.
I'm new to the site so forgive me if lots have already asked the same thing. I'm rebuilding a basket case 1975 cb400 and have come up short for some crankshaft main bearing shells. I'm after 4 x 1331 8333 003 yellow shells. Any ideas or has anyone got any spare new ones they would like to sell?
Thanks.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8614
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2026, 06:48:07 PM »
Out of interest what is your crank case code ?

Are you sure you have measured your journals accurately or are you lucky enough to have some yellow paint still visible n the edge of the shells? Even so if its a basket case I would expect some wear on the crank journals so a thicker shell might be needed to compensate for wear.

If your sizing is correct you can fit the next size thicker shells and run it in carefully.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2026, 06:57:25 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

  • SOHC Jedi
  • Posts: 4734
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2026, 07:26:13 PM »
I have a few nos 400-4 shells somewhere. I know I have some of the really rare ones like red, not sure about yellow. If I have I may only have a couple or I may have 4, I’ll try and look for you. Part number should read 13318-333-003 not how you have written it. If searching for them you may miss some by not listing it correctly. Not a criticism, just info.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Peter N

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2026, 07:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the info gents. I have the casing codes as they are clearly visible and was lucky enough the be able to see the original crankshaft codes on the crank for all the journals. Although the bikes a wreck the engine internals aren't that bad. There's very little wear on the crank.

I've tried all combinations of the part number, no luck yet.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline Oddjob

  • SOHC Jedi
  • Posts: 4734
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2026, 08:46:37 PM »
Sorry, managed to have a look but the only yellow 400-4 shells I have are conrod ones. Got some (8) green crank bearings which is the next size up and what you'll most likely end up having to use. I have some blue crank ones and some red, black and yellow rod bearings but that's it. If you want to buy 4 green bearings let me know, DS wants £27.60 plus P&P or around £120 all in. Not cheap these days. Say £95 inc P&P from me. Still sealed in genuine Honda bags, in perfect condition.

For some reason I started collecting shell bearings years ago. Mainly 500/550 ones TBH, I found the storage box today whilst hunting for yours. I have approx 200 of them, frightening as they are commonly going for £30 each these days. No idea why I have 400 shells as I have never owned one, maybe they were included in a job lot.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Peter N

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2026, 02:19:34 PM »
Thanks Oddjob, I'll let you know. With the new shells I've got I'm going to go along the crank and plastigauge each journal to see exactly what clearance I've got and make a decision from there. At least I'll know how compromised I'll be using green shells. If the clearance is too great I'll have to think again.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8614
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2026, 08:33:41 PM »
Thanks Oddjob, I'll let you know. With the new shells I've got I'm going to go along the crank and plastigauge each journal to see exactly what clearance I've got and make a decision from there. At least I'll know how compromised I'll be using green shells. If the clearance is too great I'll have to think again.

Iirc fitting Green main bearings will reduce the clearance as they are thicker?
Assuming you have accurate journal measurements too great a clearance is not an issue.
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

  • SOHC Jedi
  • Posts: 4734
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 yellow main bearings shells13318333003
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2026, 09:21:03 PM »
Yes Ted, green is the next size up, as in slightly thicker.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.